PDA

View Full Version : Trciky (for me) logo element

digitalimagery
11-13-2014, 09:28 AM
I have to build a logo which has an element like an arc with a raised central area that follows the shape.

A piece of cake for you seasoned modelers but my skills pretty much revolve around extruding eps files, running shapes along a path and adding bevels.

Would someone point me in the direction of the method I'd use to extrude this center section (suggested in the attached) so it gradually tapers to the ends and angles from the middle to the edges? I'm going to assume the backside is flat so this shouldn't be rocket science, I'm just not that experienced with this type of modeling.

Thank You
DI

ernpchan
11-13-2014, 10:26 AM
I would model it as a flat strip, extrude, taper the center bit and then use bones or spline control to deform it. This way if you need to adjust the geometry you can do it from a flat base shape versus some deformed shape which will be harder to control.

digitalimagery
11-13-2014, 10:30 AM
I would model it as a flat strip, extrude, taper the center bit and then use bones or spline control to deform it. This way if you need to adjust the geometry you can do it from a flat base shape versus some deformed shape which will be harder to control.

You're assuming I know what you're talking about. I suspect there are tools for this but I've never used them. Know of any tuts that point me in the direction of this technique.?

Thanks
DI

ernpchan
11-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Do you need help with the modeling part or the deformation part?

This one looks to be a basic intro to bones. You could do a search on YouTube to find more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N75eaggXnUA

This vid is about the new SplineControl tool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHAtN-gpyh8

This thread is about the DP Spline Deformer
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?128803-DPKit-Spline-Deformer

digitalimagery
11-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Thank you. Didn't really know what to search for. I've messed around with deformation so with these I should be pretty well set. Sorry to bug you on something so simplistic.

DI

ernpchan
11-13-2014, 10:37 AM
No worries.

prometheus
11-13-2014, 11:13 AM
why not trace the path in illustrator, export to lightwave as flat poly´s, and if you want a sort of subpatch bulge, triple it, merge trigons after that and you have a subpatch formed to simply raise the center parts a little.

or in lightwave, just trace it there with splines..or use the pen tool and trace it, use quad skin or triple and then merge trigons to get perfect quads of it.

Michael

prometheus
11-13-2014, 12:20 PM
here I simply dragged the image to illustrator, performed a live trace, merged eventual multipath with the path finder, but you could set the live trace to trace better from scratch.
then imported in to lightwave as closed polygons rough settings to avoid to many points, then I just ran the cm polydivide command (free plugin) to make them quads in one go, by simply selecting all polys and hit l for connect..you will get an edge loop to use for bulging the shape out a little, and hit subpatch for final results.

exact match against the original shape.

The only thing you need is to...know how to live trace in illustrator, and install the cm-polydivide plugins...download here..
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/cm_polydivide/

there are three scripts..but it is the cm polydivide that makes quad shapes correctly, the others won´t work nice with this shape.

illustrator export eps file in version 8 format...then import as closed polygons/polylines with rough setttings.
Michael

ernpchan
11-13-2014, 12:47 PM
What prometheus is doing is going to be the quickest way. When I read your first post I read it that your curved shape had to wrap in 3 dimensions. If it's just a flat shape then my suggestions are overkill.

JoePoe
11-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Did you get this workin'?

....If I'm seeing it right....The graphic is a little bit of an optical illusion? The physical 3d version could go several ways?
I would run the spine from tip to tip (rather than trying to end it in the middle area). Otherwise, the transitions might be a bit awkward.

Spine all the way down... 125517 125516

JoePoe
11-17-2014, 10:38 AM
On second read, I see that you were asking about how to translate the rib section as a smooth taper to the ends.
Well, because of the curved geometry, that task is not so straight forward (get it?... not straight forward!! :ohmy:.... sorry).

Anyway. Using the move tool with a curved "linear" falloff isn't, imho, going to be good enough (I assume you want the transition of the moved geometry to follow precisely the curve of the object). So, a weight map fall off, in this case, is more accurate.
Sooo, in order to make the weight map, a morph was needed to unbend the object so a nice smooth ramp could be applied.

But wait, there's more :D.
To me the high point of the rib is on the far left side. But that's not the center of the length of geometry involved.
Because you can't adjust the center point of the falloff curve in the numerics panel I had to stretch the morph in such a way that the center point of the influence curve matched up with the area I wanted to be highest.

Make sense? I can post some screen grabs if needed.

EDIT: OR :foreheads

A simple move with a strategically placed radial falloff seems to work fine ;D. No morph or weight map!