PDA

View Full Version : rendering for print

gringers
03-05-2003, 02:14 PM
what is the best way to go about rendering for print?

can you create a render in lightwave at 300dpi? or can you only render to 72dpi?

Epita
03-05-2003, 02:56 PM
LW has no control over the DPI, it is the saver that defines that. However most are at 72dip, so you will need to render at the right size, loads bigger, to get 300dpi and then resize it back down in photo shop or something. hope this helps

Epita

Pegman
03-05-2003, 03:11 PM
The first thing you need to know is the size you want to print the image at. As printing deals with an image in terms of DPI but LW deals in pixels. This Coversion can be calculated directly into any numeric field in the numeric boxes. Example say u want an image 2ft wide you use the following calculation feet X inches X DPI.
This Becomes 2 X 12 (12 inches in 1 foot) X 300 (dpi, your required res)= 7200 pixels wide. Do the same for your height value, say 1ft high, 1 X 12 X 300 = 3600 then enter this into your custom res boxes in camera properties! so your camera properties will be 7200X3600 pixels, when you render your output will be an image 2 feet by 1 foot at 300 DPI exactly. Voila! Hope This Helps! ;)

Lewis
03-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi !

gringers - that's very easy in LW, as pegman already explained you just need to calculate dpi you need but you don't need to do that manualy as he explained ;).

Pegman - no need to bother wiht all that calculations (not that is hard to calculat but why to bother ;)). LW has plugin "Print Assinstan" by Joe Zeff (i'am not usr eis it built in in LW but i have it loong time included in my layoout :)). There you just type how many DPIs you need and what size of print is needed and you get set LW camera settings automaticay :)

here is screengrab of it.

Pegman
03-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Nice tip Lewis, didnt know of that plugin! perhaps u can help with my problem? see Screamer Aptly named in LW tips and tricks! ;)

is there a plugin to make my coffee for me yet???? :confused:

Lewis
03-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Pegman
Nice tip Lewis, didnt know of that plugin! perhaps u can help with my problem? see Screamer Aptly named in LW tips and tricks! ;)

is there a plugin to make my coffee for me yet???? :confused:

Hmm, to be honest i don't have any clue about ScreamerNet 'coz i never used it :). All i can say is why not save files localy (i read your question) on each computer ? Yes it would need to use some work to move files to one location after rendering but that can took only 30-40 seconds of work :).

I'a not sure is that possible when you are using ScreamerNet but i often set "negative" rendering sequence when i was rendering on 2 computers (not network rendering) so i'am sure that i won't render same frames twice :)

For instance you can say to LW that renders from frame 300 to frame 150 and set step to "-1" and you will render backwards :). Other computer you normaly set 0-150 frames and step 1 and you will have nice setup without network render. Since you have 4 machines that maybe isn't best choice but it's better than don't have rendered files :).

I think that must be some problem in maping drive or LW don't recognize it properly or windows aren't working best either. Do maping drive have NAME (not just letter Z: or so) ?? Maybe to call it "frames drive".

Pegman
03-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Cheers for taking the time to give it a look, to answer your question yes the mapped drive has a name "Screamer Renders" which is a secondary drive on the host pc. I know i could use the technique u described but it kinda defeats the object of the exercise for me. but hey thanks anyways and if you come across any tutes on screamernet do me a favour and drop me a line! cheers and gringers, hope you got the answers u were looking for TTFN. and heres the start of my new site to be launched soon!

PHilly[Dee]
03-05-2003, 09:44 PM
there's also some plugins that will break up the scene via limited regions or camera masks, save each segment to a different scene, and then you can farm out the scenes to be rendered via renderfarm. Then, the plugin will take all the renders and patch up the image. Do a search on flay.com's plugin database with keywords like Split render or something like that.

banshee
03-06-2003, 04:51 AM
-Lewis- Yes, you are correct in that Print Assistant (Joe Zeff) is in fact included in LW (at least 7.5)

If anyone is looking for it, just go to Layout-Plugins-generic plugins- and scroll down to find it :D . Edit your menu if you don't feel like doing that again ;) .My, how spoiled we get when 3 mouse clicks becomes too tedious :rolleyes: