PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Lip Sycn and Sample Video

Columbo11
11-12-2014, 11:15 AM
I have looked online at the product demos from the trade shows, but I still have several questions. Here are my first two:

QUESTION
1. Is the audio & video coming from a remote location, via Skype into Talk Show, in sync?

Normally, in a studio production, the switcher or an audio mixer or an external audio delay box can handle the 1-6 frames of delay between the audio coming in and the video being processed through the switcher. Is this an issue that would come up with the remote AV feed?

2. Is there an example of a video of a recorded Skype interview using Talk Show, specifically showing the lip sync issue?

CONCLUSION
It looks like a fantastic piece of equipment, esp. from the control standpoint (or audio levels, video sizing, substitution of still picture in the case of bit rate drop-off, elimination of problems associated with call interruption, Skype ads, etc). I just have a few questions that I would like to address ahead of purchase. Thanks!

kanep
11-12-2014, 04:53 PM
1. The simple answer is yes. The complex answer is that Skype always prioritizes audio over video, so it possible that bandwidth can get constrained to the point video is updating at a lower rate while the audio plays normally. There are options in TalkShow so that if video goes below a defined level, that a still image will be displayed instead of the live video feed to avoid low quality video.

2. There currently isn't any recorded video that I'm aware to view. But as you could guess, multiple factors will determine the quality. The amount of network bandwidth first and foremost. The quality of the webcam and microphone being used on the Skype client can make a huge difference. A recommended webcam for Windows systems is the Logitech 920 which has hardware video encoding built in along with dual microphones. On Macintosh systems the built in webcam is usually pretty good, otherwise the Logitech 910 is a webcam to look at. Unless you planning on putting a TalkShow on both ends, then you have HD-SDI connections for Skype and you can use broadcast quality cameras.

Columbo11
11-13-2014, 06:14 AM
Thank you for the answers.

As a follow-up to that, and to expand on the audio part:
1. When using Talk Show & a production switcher at the interviewer's location, what would you recommend for the interviewee to use, with respect to hearing the audio of and delivering audio back to the interviewer?

Before Talk Show was developed, when I first relied on the computer speakers at the interviewee's site, I got terrible feedback/echo when I tried to record a Skype interview. Then I went to a combo headset (head phones for the interviewee to hear the interviewer, and a stick microphone for the interviewee to speak). That worked better, but I don't know if I had the right unit because there were still issues. So, I am interested to know ... what mechanism would you recommend to use with Talk Show, for the interviewee to hear and to speak to the interviewer? It seems like most remote interview videos that I see (on the cable networks for the most part) show the interviewee with a lavalier mic and no earpiece (that I can see) ... but perhaps the interviewees are always in a remote sound room with a satellite up-link for audio & video. For my applications, I would not have the luxury of having someone come to anything as sophisticated as a custom-build media center, so my interest would be what would be recommended for use with an interviewee in their office, with their computer ... but that I could buy a couple of units and send to them a day ahead of the interview. Many thanks in advance for your input.

SBowie
11-13-2014, 02:52 PM
1) In my personal experimentation, this can vary a bit depending on the remote sending device and connection. Sending from my USB webcam connected to the net by 'wire', video looks amazing and sync is spot on. Sending from a cell phone, the video quality isn't as good, and I've seen sync off be by about 5 frames. (This is just personal experience, not rigorous testing.)

2) Don't know if it is what you need, but there's a bunch on media online here: https://media.skype.com/

p.s., to respond to your other question: Of course you need to return a mix minus audio signal to the remote caller. If your Switcher is a TriCaster, you can set this up in the internal audio mixer, and send it back to TalkShow using TriCaster's network output, or analog audio to TalkShow's line inputs, or over the return SDI connection. For a non-TriCaster workflow, you would choose between the latter two options.

In addition, TalkShow has an integrated "Talk Back" feature that let's the Talkshow operator interact directly with the remote caller without being heard on the signal sent to the studio.

Columbo11
11-14-2014, 04:10 AM
Many thanks to Kane and Steve for spot-on answers. I will start a new thread with a question about connections.