PDA

View Full Version : Genoma Rig complexity

Willax
11-11-2014, 10:45 AM
I know Newtek is doing a great job in making animating simpler and feature filled for all, but the Genoma rig setup has me stymied. Most of my character animation (I'm just a hobbyist) is fairly simple. The problem I'm having with Genoma, even after watching all the tutorials available is, I don't need 300 bones in my characters, with cryptic names that I don't understand. And to sort through all the bones to try and figure out which is which is a nightmare. In reality, I probably only need about 20 to 25 bones in my characters to do what I need to. Is there an easier way to get some of the genoma features without all the bones? I have tried to assemble my own rig (I'm sure I'm doing something wrong), but when I do, I get either an error message about one polygon or the bones don't work. Just a quick example, when trying to learn the system, I created a simple tube, added a genoma arm rig, and it created 10 bones., and when I try to move some of the bones, which I thought were ik, others stay put. This simple two bone (genoma) rig created 10 bones and 40 objects (ik controllers, goals, etc.) And this is supposed to be a simple arm bending at the elbow. If you have any suggestions or can direct me to some tutorials to help that would be great. Oh, and I do own Rigging Revealed, and have watched Top of 33 Multimedia on YouTube, but I'm still in the dark. Just having problems grasping the concepts, bones, goals, controllers, etc.

ernpchan
11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
You could build a rig out of the individual parts. I'm not sure you'll see that much of a reduction in bones though since everything is pre-built. Ideally you shouldn't need to deal with the bones after you setup your weights. You want to just animate the control objects.

RebelHill
11-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Genoma parts and rigs are what they are... You cant really alter or simplify them in any way, and sure... there's a lot of stuff that's not so clear as to what's supposed to do what exactly.

If you're wanting more detailed tutorials which'll help you make sense of stuff, there's coverage in my rigging tutorial series...

http://rebelhill.net/html/rhr.html

Alternatively, if you want to throw together quick, basic rigs for simpler characters, have a look at the Rigging Toolbox in the free version of my RHiggit toolset, pretty fast, easy and versatile...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nUt2-08Fs

Willax
11-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Yep, looks like I had downloaded the RHiggit free in 2011, so I don't think I have the latest version. Gonna have to get the latest and play around with it to see if I can figure out this whole rigging stuff. Thanks for the reply

RebelHill
11-11-2014, 12:45 PM
You can still use the old V1 free version (which is basically a nice preset rig)... or use the V2, which doesnt have any "autorigging" portion, but which does have the toolbox which vastly simplifies and speeds up what is, essentially, manual/custom rigging.

Also... make sure you have a dig through the foundations chapter of my rigging tutorials at the very least... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTds3QePYrWEWipwKkLmyNT4Tf_JTigM2 Lots of need to know basics that are important no matter what approach you take in the end.