PDA

View Full Version : Iron Sky: The Coming Race

Davewriter
11-10-2014, 08:45 AM
So I've seen a items on this... wondering if anyone is doing some LW work on it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3jLaf5qj8cs

zapper1998
11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
good question?

Pirk
11-10-2014, 10:14 AM
So I've seen a items on this... wondering if anyone is doing some LW work on it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3jLaf5qj8cs

I doubt it. We did the vfx for the first film here in Finland (under Energia, now Troll VFX). For the sequel the vfx is done by Pixomondo (Germany). They are a Max house as far as I know.

prometheus
11-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Bringing that guy back..don´t think so, who would want that :D

It´s intriguing though, I actually had an idea myself of bringing that AH back, but in some sort of time travel event..where mr Hitler gets captured by some time travel squad and then he is sent through time and space as punishment and has to endure and witness horrible moments in time etc...and finally perhaps facing the guy on the cross at the moment when he is crucified, and some things will change on the cross...or at that event thay you might not expect.

Might be worth to develop as a story..or not:D

Michael

bazsa73
11-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I doubt it. We did the vfx for the first film here in Finland (under Energia, now Troll VFX). For the sequel the vfx is done by Pixomondo (Germany). They are a Max house as far as I know.

Ikävä kuulla!

MAUROCOR
11-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Are you sure? Take a look on this!

http://www.newtek.com/news-events/newsroom/25-pressnews/lightwave-news/339-fungoplayworlds-first-virtual-sports-theme-parkbuilt-with-newtek-lightwave-1015.html

Triodin
11-10-2014, 02:11 PM
This series has become like a real life Command & Conquer: Red Alert - and I think I love it if they can do it right!

Pirk
11-10-2014, 02:15 PM
Are you sure? Take a look on this!

http://www.newtek.com/news-events/newsroom/25-pressnews/lightwave-news/339-fungoplayworlds-first-virtual-sports-theme-parkbuilt-with-newtek-lightwave-1015.html

I think this is about Pixomondo canada? Pixomondo Germany is not using Lightwave - at least what i've heard. And the article is 3 years old. It seems that 3dsmax has a very strong foothold in Germany (like in Finland).

Chuck
11-10-2014, 04:32 PM
I'd sure be disappointed if the second film gets done in something other than LightWave. The first one was a lot of fun, hoping the second one will be as well.

Cageman
11-10-2014, 05:54 PM
I think this is about Pixomondo canada? Pixomondo Germany is not using Lightwave - at least what i've heard. And the article is 3 years old. It seems that 3dsmax has a very strong foothold in Germany (like in Finland).

Close... it was Pixomondo, Burbank (USA) who used LW for the dinos (and other things) in Terra Nova. They also did some shots for The Amazing Spiderman and The Hunger Games (the first one), using LW.

EDIT: And when I say LW I am talking about rendering, primarely.

kopperdrake
11-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I loved the first film - we went and whole bunch of Eurocom guys I used to work with, in Derby, were at the same showing - bunch of game geeks in the audience, what an atmosphere :D Tongue in cheek script, great FX, true indie spirit, and a truckload of geeks - sweet!

lightscape
11-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Lightwave is supposed to offer bang for the buck pipeline. If they switched to another studio using 3dmax then there must be something wrong with the previous production. That's not good.

shrox
11-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Lightwave is supposed to offer bang for the buck pipeline. If they switched to another studio using 3dmax then there must be something wrong with the previous production. That's not good.

3DMax has a glossier sales brochure.

jeric_synergy
11-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Kelly Myers was the ...well, I don't recall his exact title, but "Head of Rendering and Animation Wrangler" might be close, and he's a huge LW fan. As I recall, they spent a lot of time addressing Maya's shortcomings as a modeler... RECALL here, not "know".

Oh, in case people don't know: Kelly Myers=Kat Myers= Liberty3d (http://liberty3d.com).

(Or is it "Meyers"?) :jester:

ianr
11-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Why not ask Pixomondo,
But They gotta get in Crowdfunding up,
cos the first movie financial deals where a distributional mess.
Also why shift assets that are already in Lightwave?
Funny that Pixomondo dealt in Lightwaved T-rex's &
they turn up in the Teaser Movie?
The thing will Maya in the 1st one, as Kelly can
& has stated here in interviews the orginal MaYa team
***gered up the Texture Maps.
It's all mostly in this Lightwave Archive somewhere here.
I think Timo Vuorensola was a Forum Member why not
ask him the state of play?

lightscape
11-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Kelly Myers was the ...well, I don't recall his exact title, but "Head of Rendering and Animation Wrangler" might be close, and he's a huge LW fan. As I recall, they spent a lot of time addressing Maya's shortcomings as a modeler... RECALL here, not "know".

Oh, in case people don't know: Kelly Myers=Kat Myers= Liberty3d (http://liberty3d.com).

(Or is it "Meyers"?) :jester:

I recall Kelly Myers also complaining about cinema4d users in one of his tutorial videos. Maybe he just wants to work with lightwave.
I and other maya users at work don't find maya to be lacking in modelling especially the newer version of maya. Poly modelling is kind of a non issue with most appz these days. Even lw modeller as old as it is can do 90% of the poly modelling jobs out there. If it could handle more polys it could do better but for most things poly modelling is almost a generic task.

So I thought the director, producers of this film were lightwave supporters. Why did they switch if they were saving money on the lightwave pipeline, because that's what lightwave is known for. That's something Newtek should ask the producers and address for lightwave 12.

jeric_synergy
11-16-2014, 09:28 AM
So I thought the director, producers of this film were lightwave supporters. Why did they switch if they were saving money on the lightwave pipeline, because that's what lightwave is known for. That's something Newtek should ask the producers and address for lightwave 12.
Indeed: knowing the motivation would be very useful for LW development: after all, it might have nothing to do w/LW at all, in which case LW3dG could relax and shrug. For instance, it might be chasing a particular set of talent that is available at Pixelmondo.

IIRC, the issues w/Maya were not so intrinsic to Maya itself, but that the modelers using it were tending to use bad practices: bad geometry, 'leaking' geometry, and overly-large texture maps are what I remember. Also, it WAS several years ago, so perhaps better tools have evolved.

Waves of light
11-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Yer, after supporting the first movie I was a bit bummed to find out it had shifted to a VFX house that wasn't primarily LW. I seem to remember on the first film that the director or VFX director talked about LW saving the day with the ship sequences and that's why they hired a load of LW artists to finish the film.

erikals
11-16-2014, 12:27 PM
as a director you often go for a cheaper solution. (not cheapest, cheaper)

when doing that, you might get yourself into trouble, as the VFX house has sold their service too cheap.

not sure if that is what happened, or maybe the Kat is busy with other projects...
https://www.facebook.com/stasysseries

Davewriter
11-16-2014, 10:16 PM
In other words, the Cat Signal could be lit at any moment... looking for a hero to bail them out yet again.

jeric_synergy
11-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Scrambling to recover is never a good sign. While I'm disappointed LW doesn't seem to play as big a role as it did in the first, I sincerely hope it's all smooth sailing.

I despise the artificial drama and stress caused by unrealistic production management-- it's bullsh!t. There's no GOOD reason that production personnel should have to work unrealistic hours, and by that I mean anything exceeding 40hours a week. If we can build cars with people working 40 hours a week, we can make ******* movies that way too.

djlithium
11-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Because I'm not contractually bound by anything I can say this. None of the VFX team from the original show (including me) wants to work with the director. If I recall, some are still waiting to be paid. I was lucky to make it out with a plane ticket myself. so I don't blame the kats at Troll/Energia for not wanting to touch IS2 with a 10 foot pole, application choice being a factor or not.

The director and producer are out there again hat in hand asking for money for film that can't get funded on its own merit even though it's based on another film they already made. That tells you something.

As for what I'm up to....

http://www.daltonindustries.us/category/company-news/

djlithium
11-23-2014, 09:23 PM
I recall Kelly Myers also complaining about cinema4d users in one of his tutorial videos. Maybe he just wants to work with lightwave.
I and other maya users at work don't find maya to be lacking in modelling especially the newer version of maya. Poly modelling is kind of a non issue with most appz these days. Even lw modeller as old as it is can do 90% of the poly modelling jobs out there. If it could handle more polys it could do better but for most things poly modelling is almost a generic task.

It's not the lacking of the tools its the bad habits that Maya artists have especially on the modeling side because the application allows them to do dumb shizen.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the lacking of the tools its the bad habits that Maya artists have especially on the modeling side because the application allows them to do dumb shizen.

Waves of light
11-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Because I'm not contractually bound by anything I can say this. None of the VFX team from the original show (including me) wants to work with the director. If I recall, some are still waiting to be paid. I was lucky to make it out with a plane ticket myself. so I don't blame the kats at Troll/Energia for not wanting to touch IS2 with a 10 foot pole, application choice being a factor or not.

The director and producer are out there again hat in hand asking for money for film that can't get funded on its own merit even though it's based on another film they already made. That tells you something.

As for what I'm up to....

http://www.daltonindustries.us/category/company-news/

I'm really sorry to hear that. We were led to believe that it was lightwave artists that saved the day, but if that's the way the artists have been treated then I'm not too thrilled at supporting the sequel.

erikals
11-24-2014, 02:27 AM
If I recall, some are still waiting to be paid. I was lucky to make it out with a plane ticket myself.
and yet he is making a sequel... sad...