PDA

View Full Version : ItemID in Relativity or offset 60 layers in order down Z?

raw-m
11-10-2014, 06:45 AM
I have an object with 60 layers all at the origin - a bit like Playing Cards. I need to offset each layer in z space in Layout, layer one to stay at the origin, progressively moving outways in layer order by a given amount, layer 60 being at the end.

I can do this nodally by getting the itemID and multiplying it by a value (from a null, for example). The downside is that I'd have to copy/paste Motion Options to 60 objects manually.

I see Ryan Royal has a script that applies Relativity quickly to selected objects. Anyway to get the itemID in to Relativity?

Other solutions accepted (except the arrange script native in Layout, it knocks my order out of whach!).

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 07:10 AM
Any reason why you just can't put them all in one layer and use DPkit Part Move?

raw-m
11-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Yes, they will be animated/peeled off screen one at a time so need them as separate objects.

raw-m
11-10-2014, 07:43 AM
OK, solution found using the built in Distribute script - I've finally figured out how it works!!

Take your last layer (in my case layer 60).
Move it into place.
Then, in reverse order, select layer 60, 59, 58, 57..... 2, 1.
Now Modify/Arrange/Distribute/Along Z Axis
All should work be arranged correctly.
Parent them all to a null and use that to stretch/tweak z position accordingly.

The mistake I used in the past was to select everything in the Scene Editor by shift-selecting the top layer to the bottom layer and then run the script. Looks like you need to select each layer in order (or reverse order), one by one - not great but much easier than copy/pasting Motion Options.

Sensei
11-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Any reason why you just can't put them all in one layer and use DPkit Part Move?

raw-m didn't say they are one continuous part per layer..

One layer can have multiple not connected parts.

Sensei
11-10-2014, 09:24 AM
raw-m, if you don't bother about name convention, you could call each layer
name (1)
name (2)
etc.
some number in brackets

TrueArt's Node Library > Extended Item Info > Clone Index is reading exactly this number in brackets.

Take it, multiply by vector 0,0,1 or so. Then use as offset (either Motion Node Editor or Deform Node Editor is fine).

In this video tutorial you can see how I am using this feature for other things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNJyUFRHcg

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125429&d=1415637202

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
raw-m didn't say they are one continuous part per layer..

One layer can have multiple not connected parts.

Indeed they can, but "...sixty objects... like playing cards..." suggests not. ;)

Nice tip on the clone index though, thanks.

raw-m
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi, nice tip!

I've got loads of dates on a calendar, flicking off through the days. I've use MGImages to Planes to get the dates mapped to geometry so everything is nicely UVd and ready to go. Can't clone unfortunately!

Sensei
11-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Can't clone unfortunately!

I didn't clone anything in example above. It's all about item name and brackets.

raw-m
11-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Sensei,

I'm using your example above but tracking the motion of particles instead of Points. So far, so good. I'm parenting another plane a null that follows a particle. This plane also has the Displacements/Inertia plugin attached to it but it looks like the Inertia plugin isn't "seeing" the movement of item it's parented to. Any way round this, before I blast the forum again....?