PDA

View Full Version : Fusion 7, now FREE

OlaHaldor
11-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Blackmagic Design does their black magic, again.
Fusion 7 is free.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion

Currently only for Windows.

There's also a license available for purchase, at only $995

Here's the two models.

Fusion 7
Fusion Logo
Integrated 2D and 3D compositing and motion graphics software with a massive toolset featuring paint, rotoscope, titling, animation, multiple keyers including Primatte, an amazing 3D particle system, advanced keyframing, GPU acceleration, and support for importing and rendering 3D models and scenes from other applications.

Fusion 7 Studio
You get everything in Fusion 7 plus advanced optical flow image analysis tools for stereoscopic 3D work, retiming and stabilization. Fusion Studio also includes support for third-party OpenFX plugins, unlimited distributed network rendering, and Generation for studio wide multi user collaboration to track, manage, review and approve shots when working with large creative teams on complex projects.

kosmodave
11-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Great stuff :thumbsup:, Now when will Blackmagic buy Lightwave :D

Dave

motivalex
11-10-2014, 01:14 AM
Great. Now I can upgrade my version 5 for free :)

I hope they bring out a Mac and Linux version out soon.

tyrot
11-10-2014, 01:32 AM
oh this is just great..take that nuke..(non working hours crap!)

Megalodon2.0
11-10-2014, 01:32 AM
Holy crap! Free? And that website is something that Fusion should have had YEARS ago!

I've got version 6 and have wanted to upgrade to v7. And at $995 for the pro version, this is incredible. Hopefully they will develop this quickly and become a serious competitor to Nuke (and keep the price down.) This is really incredible news.

Ztreem
11-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Cool, Downloading now...

OlaHaldor
11-10-2014, 02:53 AM
We've had a little bit Nuke at school. Gotta completely reprogram myself if I'm gonna use Fusion. But you can't beat free!

Every4thPixel
11-10-2014, 03:01 AM
This is the best news of the year. I've been waiting for v7 to come out and now it's free, so in some kind of way I made 2500,- today.

tyrot
11-10-2014, 03:13 AM
exactly.. now we need training material:) lots of them

dulo
11-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Great news .. but I am a little pissed because I bought Fusion 7 for 2598$ just a few weeks ago ..

Every4thPixel
11-10-2014, 03:35 AM
Ah man! That's nasty!

Riff_Masteroff
11-10-2014, 03:59 AM
Without knowing the particulars . . . the word 'free' usage is highly suspect
Artificial ppl generally say 'free' when they mean, in English (not cutsy) included.

But what does the changeling mean to me?
I re-subscibed to F7 before the Blackmajic changes. In September 2014 for 595 usd.

Worthy of much discussion, a look ahead might be an Adobe AE death blow. And also 'this' might affect the Foundry's Nuke.

djwaterman
11-10-2014, 04:44 AM
This is really something. I've just installed it and looking forward to jumping in and exploring it's motion graphics, text and particles. The website is amazing.

Lightwolf
11-10-2014, 04:44 AM
But what does the changeling mean to me?
I re-subscibed to F7 before the Blackmajic changes. In September 2014 for 595 usd.

You get Studio for free - contact BM. (It's mentioned in their press release).

Cheers,
Mike

jburford
11-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the Great Information and Heads Up!

Cheers

hrgiger
11-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Nice.

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 07:04 AM
...Currently only for Windows....

Are they actually working on versions for other OS's?

OlaHaldor
11-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Given the history of Davinci Resolve I'd be surprised if they don't offer versions for other operative systems. But give them time. :)
The community wanted Resolve for Windows. And BMD made it happen.

Lightwolf
11-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Without wanting to spam the thread too much, here's a small heads up: We're offering a 7% discount off exrTrader for the next 7 days due to the Fusion 7 release.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144354-AD-Fusion-7-for-free-now-exrTrader-7-off

Cheers,
Mike

Danner
11-10-2014, 10:18 AM
I'm so happy! I always loved fusion but given how little I use compositing I didn't want to spend so much money. So.. what's the catch?

zapper1998
11-10-2014, 10:21 AM
cool downloaded, no network support for free version, I can live with that..

prometheus
11-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the heads up on this, have downloaded and will look in to it.

Michael

calilifestyle
11-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Man when i first saw this i was like yeah whatever. But i just went to the link and sure enough it's a free version. Man that's awesome and the cost of Studio version even better.

lightscape
11-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Can't believe this is free and not as crippled as we thought. Its probably time to let ae and nuke go bye bye and spend the savings on other software.

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Given the history of Davinci Resolve I'd be surprised if they don't offer versions for other operative systems. But give them time. :)
The community wanted Resolve for Windows. And BMD made it happen.

That would be really nice. Much as I've tried, I just don't get AE's layer based system. For some reason, nodal just seems to fit with the way my brain works.

Lightwolf
11-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm so happy! I always loved fusion but given how little I use compositing I didn't want to spend so much money. So.. what's the catch?
It renders to UHD max (roughly 4K)
No third party plugin support (scripting works though)
No network rendering or networked bins
No stereo toolset
Generation isn't included

That's about it - there's plenty left in there to make it more than viable for anything up to medium projects.

Cheers,
Mike

ernpchan
11-10-2014, 11:27 AM
That would be really nice. Much as I've tried, I just don't get AE's layer based system. For some reason, nodal just seems to fit with the way my brain works.

AE is better with animation whereas the nodal workflow is great for compositing. Having a script like duik (http://duduf.net/?page_id=151) makes AE a great alternative to Flash and Harmony. I think it'd be hard to do animation in nuke/fusion.

Lightwolf
11-10-2014, 11:30 AM
AE is better with animation whereas the nodal workflow is great for compositing. Having a script like duik (http://duduf.net/?page_id=151) makes AE a great alternative to Flash and Harmony. I think it'd be hard to do animation in nuke/fusion.
Anything is better than Flash... even Fusion. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

ernpchan
11-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Anything is better than Flash... even Fusion. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

lol, don't get me going on Flash.

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Not a problem, I'm not nearly talented enough to be an animator. ;)

ernpchan
11-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Not a problem, I'm not nearly talented enough to be an animator. ;)

You forgot to finish your sentence with the word 'yet'. :)

Lightwolf
11-10-2014, 11:44 AM
lol, don't get me going on Flash.
You'd be in good company, my rant can beat your rant. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

ernpchan
11-10-2014, 11:51 AM
You'd be in good company, my rant can beat your rant. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah well if I was on a debate team my strategy wouldn't be very professional. My opening and closing statement would be "Piece of #[email protected]! program." and then I'd leave the room. lol

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
You forgot to finish your sentence with the word 'yet'. :)

Nah, I know my limitations. :D

Give me a knotty nodal animation or texturing problem, or a VFX challenge, and I'm in my element, and can spend hours solving it, yet the prospect of bouncing a rubber ball frame by frame, or setting up a walk cycle leaves me cold.

Oh, and I think I'm getting quite good at SubD as well. ;)

Lito
11-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Fusion? As in the one that came bundled with LW7? I think I still have my dongle from that program lol

djlithium
11-10-2014, 12:46 PM
exactly.. now we need training material:) lots of them

We have some Fusion 6 training on www.liberty3d.com from Jeremy Hughes that you may find very useful. Fusion is a lot like LightWave in the sense that what works conceptually from one version carries over to the next. Now that Fusion7 is free I have a feeling I will be doing some more tutorials myself using it. So keep your eyes open there. Now when I open up fusion in my tutorials people will have access to the same tools as I do and can follow along much more easily. This is good :)

=^..^=

- - - Updated - - -

Without wanting to spam the thread too much, here's a small heads up: We're offering a 7% discount off exrTrader for the next 7 days due to the Fusion 7 release.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144354-AD-Fusion-7-for-free-now-exrTrader-7-off

Cheers,
Mike

Go get it! Best thing to have if you are a fusion/LW artist is exrTrader :)

tyrot
11-10-2014, 01:36 PM
hey kat.. i checked the website - yes there is a gooooood bundle there.. BUT please release something FAST! :) this week for the glory of Fusion 7 - ..before people swarming google for training material..

also can we have some sort of Video preview of those Fusion 6 tutorials..

tommyc
11-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Wow, this happened sooner than I expected. Here's the official word on a Mac version:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29406

spherical
11-10-2014, 02:42 PM
I think I'm getting quite good at SubD as well.

If that locomotive is SubD, I'll say! Wireframe, so we can see the polyflow?

CaptainMarlowe
11-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Wow, this happened sooner than I expected. Here's the official word on a Mac version:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29406

Seen that too, great news, even though, right now, Motion is enough for my needs and I can wait for Fusion (which I don't even know if I'll find the time to learn only the basics, considering I only know about 10% of what Motion can do when I look at Simon Ubsdell tutorials !!) (don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Motion can match Fusion, only that it's enough for my current needs).
Anyway, exciting times !

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 03:24 PM
..BUT please release something FAST! :)

He's got to finish destroying spaceships first. :D

pinkmouse
11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
If that locomotive is SubD, I'll say! Wireframe, so we can see the polyflow?

Don't get your hopes up, it's sensible subD, not hairshirt... :D

wesleycorgi
11-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Awesome! I have a Fusion license for Windows — trapped in the 6 series, but I would be willing to upgrade to Pro version when released for Mac.

Fusion worked fairly well (albeit much slower) via Parallels. Haven't used in ages, but I have a project coming up that is composition heavy.

Also, I highly recommend the Fusion series on Liberty 3D — as Kat mentions, they were made on an earlier version of Fusion but they are still very useful to get up to speed. Eyeon also created quite a few videos on various topics on Youtube.

I think it's in LW3DG's best interest to work with the Fusion folks. C4D has their tight integration with AE and Modo has Nuke. (I know AE isn't quite one-on-one with Nuke and Fusion). The "personalities" of LW and Fusion are very similar.

Cageman
11-10-2014, 05:50 PM
This is a great day! I really hope that Black Magic will be able to infuse (phun intended) more power and innovation into Fusion that Eyeon lost so many years ago. The free version is a _steal_ and it is way to good to pass up on. I also think it is good that there are more than one company capable of developing state of the art nodebased compositing tools. It adds competition in both pricing and features. Both Black Magic and The Foundry will gain because of this.

Now is the time for LW-users to get exrTrader and Janus and really start doing mutlipass rendering and great compositing. Yay!!!!

:)

djwaterman
11-10-2014, 07:44 PM
I spent some time (10 minutes) with Fusion last night, and its very intuitive, I didn't need to look at docs or anything. When I brought in LW objects (FBX) they need to be frozen if SUB-D, at least that's what I found. This is like a Christmas present. If I start getting into it I would probably want to get a licensed version at some point just to access the plugins, but you could do a lot of damage with this free version. Also, there is a page of start up tutorials on the website, enough to get you going.

Cageman, I'd like to see a real basic tutorial on setting up exrTrader for render passes on a simple scene, show the basic passes needed, and then how those are brought into Fusion and recompiled.

tburbage
11-10-2014, 08:20 PM
We have some Fusion 6 training on www.liberty3d.com from Jeremy Hughes that you may find very useful. Fusion is a lot like LightWave in the sense that what works conceptually from one version carries over to the next. Now that Fusion7 is free I have a feeling I will be doing some more tutorials myself using it. So keep your eyes open there. Now when I open up fusion in my tutorials people will have access to the same tools as I do and can follow along much more easily. This is good :)

=^..^=

- - - Updated - - -

Go get it! Best thing to have if you are a fusion/LW artist is exrTrader :)
Kat,

LW seems like a natural fit for Fusion in some ways -- do you have any thoughts on what the LW3DG could do to make that fit stronger? With C4D in bed with Adobe/After Effects, Autodesk being, well, Autodesk, and Modo serving Nuke, this seems like an opportunity.

BokadCastle
11-10-2014, 09:48 PM
works with GPUs - good for me.
Thanks for the advice.

sukardi
11-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Now that somebody has mentioned it, it does make sense for BM to buy LW and give it for free. Haha...

tyrot
11-11-2014, 02:21 AM
by the way - with new Octane 2.1 we have EXR export feature right...So we are covered at Octane side..

Wickedpup
11-11-2014, 03:10 AM
Now that somebody has mentioned it, it does make sense for BM to buy LW and give it for free. Haha...
Maybe BMD is the mysterious company that have bought Messiah? LOL ;D

calilifestyle
11-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Question pdf manual where is it. Someone had mentioned that it was good . But i can't seem to find one. Also anyone know if they have any downloadable contain. thanks

tommyc
11-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Here ya go. The manual and tool reference.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/fusion

Davewriter
11-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Some Fusion training would be great (now that the program is free)
The only minor complaint I had with your tuts done at the "dead place" was that you'd do a certain amount of the tut using Fusion, which for hobby boy here was frustrating 'cause I couldn't follow along.
Which, I guess means I find your stuff ultra Kool if that was my biggest complaint.

dwburman
11-11-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm happy about this as well. I was always bummed around Siggraph time when Eyeon would offer steep discounts on upgrades that still applied to my DFX+ 4, but I could never pull the trigger because I didn't have the right cash+need at the time.

Now I won't feel bad about having it installed, but not using it. :)

Seriously though. From what I remember I like Fusion better than Shake and I like both better than AE for compositing type tasks.

Lightwolf
11-11-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm happy about this as well. I was always bummed around Siggraph time when Eyeon would offer steep discounts on upgrades that still applied to my DFX+ 4,...
You can now bum around the BM booth. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

dwburman
11-12-2014, 07:51 PM

lightscape
11-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Some Fusion training would be great (now that the program is free)
The only minor complaint I had with your tuts done at the "dead place" was that you'd do a certain amount of the tut using Fusion, which for hobby boy here was frustrating 'cause I couldn't follow along.
Which, I guess means I find your stuff ultra Kool if that was my biggest complaint.

There's lots of tutorials on Fusion on the net for free.
What's missing are tutorials that show off Fusions ability to do Mograph. Its very capable to do Mograph lik AE.
Its one of Fusions strength that is not so known.

vonpietro
11-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Hey guys,
This Is a huge Christmas present indeed.

If you have not used digital fusion, then you may not know that it totally rocks. And that was version 4.

some how nuke got the gold and is the current standard, but before nuke was after effects and digital fusion, and once I learned how to use fusion while working on red planet , I never turned back. (although I was still able to get a decent amount of after effects work)

Fusion I've used on a bunch of movies, and its extremely film friendly. Check out the grain feature - there was a plug in called match grain which was critical in making cg elements match the film plates, today I imagine you can just use the grain plugin to match it up.

Nodes are very intuitive, and you'll find creating alpha channels through many various methods is also well thought out in this version, a critical function of any 2d package.

I for one am quite happy that they have made this super tricked out program with years of hardened refinement free. Way better than blenders compositor, but it's no wonder blender chose nodes for their compositing program They had fusion to emulate (and nuke I guess, but nuke is emulating fusion too).

If you have not gotten it, do so, it is totally worth the learning curve!! It works with lightwave extremely well, supporting many file formats.
enjoy!!

jasonwestmas
11-13-2014, 07:01 AM
This is amazing

colkai
11-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Well I've got it downloaded and running, but it seems to me the manual isn't tallying with the software.
In the comparison chart, it says you can have multiple clips per loader, the manual shows the loader control with a clips list tab, but the software itself doesn't have one.
Either I am missing something, or that "compare" list isn't accurate.

tyrot
11-13-2014, 09:51 AM
kat..can you just post a short intro movies for each videos you have... also how about a bundle?

vonpietro
11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
by the way, things to check out in fusion (some tips)

1. normal map maker filter - makes a normal map. plus you can animate it if you make it animated.
2. tracking and attaching images to track points (I used to use transform tool to do that as a base node and use modifiers)
3. warping an image (corner positioner to pin a grid to a tv screen ect)
4. great for making H.U.D.s like the ones in red planet.]
5. trick for tracking is to Color correct the image and then track you can pull details out that will help with the tracking. since it's nodal you don't need to use the Color corrected image for anything else other than assisting in tracking (different nodal path). Psuedo color also sometimes helped tracking.

I notice almost everything is in near or real time, nice.

pinkmouse
11-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Anyone had any luck in getting this to run under VirtualBox on OSX? Just wondering before I go to all the fuss of creating and installing a W7 VM.

jhinrichs
11-14-2014, 09:44 AM
"Great stuff , Now when will Blackmagic buy Lightwave"

I think this would actually be awesome. Fusion had the *worst* marketing and community support I can think of. Lightwave's marketing and community support is a close second in that race.

If Black Magic bought Lightwave they'd be knocking on The Foundry's door big time. Don't get me wrong, I love Modo to death, but competition is only gonna benefit the users. For that matter, they could buy Newtek period. They have pretty complimentary product lines.

Surrealist.
11-14-2014, 11:12 AM
But isn't Blackmagic a direct competitor to the Tricaster?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products#resolve

I would think that would be a bit of a conflict of interest. Why would NT sell to a competitor?

m.d.
11-14-2014, 12:11 PM
,Not really...

I've owned both, tricaster can do more then the BM switchers in terms of live production....seems to be a different market segment, slightly lower budget productions.

A lot of big budget live switches will not rely on a computer based system, and will prefer to use hardware based switching and external recording....external DDR etc. whereas lower budget will take a chance on the all in one system.

I did some live switching inside a big network studio where some of the engineers came by and had a chuckle that I was using a tricaster....they reminisced and laughed a bit about the old video toaster. Nothing wrong with the tricaster....I would be tempted to use it on any level production, but the big boys tend to stick with old school workflows and don't trust the all in one boxes as much

Tricaster has tapped into the growing low-medium budget productions and web casters popping up all over the place.

Surrealist.
11-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Yeah I can see hardware wise it is in a different class. But it still reads as competition. Many of those markets overlap. Just as in software. Toaster was always on the low end, yeah. But it did provide competition for it's "big boy" competitors. Additionally when you consider the range of products BM has, I'd say it's competition. That is how I look at it anyway.

m.d.
11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
BM is a competitor to everyone nowadays I guess....with that range. Hardware, software, cameras, switchers. They've come a long way from video output cards

zapper1998
11-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Some other people at a few other Forums have had a few issues..

Don't know if its a coincidence, but ever since I downloaded this,
I have malware on my pc, stupid pop ups and adverts that are evading my usual blockers.

I have not installed it yet ...

Wondering if any body has any malware issues with fusion 7 after installing..

tyrot
11-15-2014, 12:13 PM
come on what malware... u serious?

there is nothing - clean - a GREAT - software...

those malwared people - they are nukers..:) - they are infected actually ..with a FREE - software...

JamesCurtis
11-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Good antivirus software should handle malware. I've not had any issues.

Most likely they got the problem from other sources!!

tyrot
11-15-2014, 01:41 PM
actually i found something inside of fusion - NUKEWARE!

inkpen3d
11-17-2014, 02:34 AM
Here are some sources of video tutorials on the web that I've found useful:

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyeonsoftware
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuMpBdCxF5tCcLyaZzaJ1w
https://www.youtube.com/user/vfxhaiku/videos
Also, for Janus/EXR Trader/Fusion workflow (and also applicable to LW's native buffer export), see the excellent videos by Mikael Burman on the tutorials page of the Janus web site http://faulknermano.com/janus/index.html

Hope that helps and if anyone can suggest other sources, please let us know.

Cheers,
Peter

OjN
11-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Hey guys! That is good news!
I think the Blur guys use Fusion :

https://vimeo.com/79921564

By the way, look at VFXPedia backup on archive.org (they took down the vfxpedia). It is a great resource:

http://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless/viewtopic.php?t=128&p=1008

Also, pigsfly forum is always interesting:

http://pigsfly.com/index.php?/topic/6526-i-am-fusion/?hl=water_fall.rar

See you lightwavers...:)

Marander
11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
Anyone had any luck in getting this to run under VirtualBox on OSX? Just wondering before I go to all the fuss of creating and installing a W7 VM.

I read in cgtalk that it runs fine on parallels on mac

pinkmouse
11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Yeah, but VirtualBox is free. ;)

Greenlaw
12-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I was a bit annoyed at first when saw that there was no upgrade path available from Fusion 6.4 to 7.5 Studio except paying full price. In our case, that would be about $2000, plus we have six renders nodes that would also need to be upgraded. But I've been so busy these past few months (using Fusion 6.4, ironicaly,) that I haven't paid a lot of attention to this. Last night, I decided to check it out.

Now, I'm thinking, $995 really isn't a bad deal--in fact, it's actually a pretty good value. The main thing we need that only 7.5 Studio offers is the network stuff, which eliminates our need to upgrade our Fusion render nodes because 7.5 Studio has unlimited free nodes. After that, we're interested in the new optical flow tools--currently, we're using third party OFX tools for similar capabilities, tools which we had been thinking of upgrading for 6.4 until we learned that Fusion 7.5 Studio may already have this natively.

Renewing our two subscriptions under the old system probably would have cost us around $1500, probably more with the reactivation fee. Paying nearly $2000 isn't that far off and that's for a persistant license. I'm curious to know if that's a node-locked license, for how many computers (many programs allow two single-user activations,) or if it's still a dongle-based system (that would be preferred but I'm guessing they've dropped that.)

So I think we're going to go for it...eventually.

At the moment, I can't say there's a very compelling reason to spend $2000 on the 'upgrade'--there's not a whole lot there we're not already doing with our 6.4 licenses, not with the plugins and additional render nodes we have. (Plus, with the Holidays, etc., it will probably be later next year before I feel comfortable about spending that much money on software anyway. Yes, we make our living using these tools but we're not exactly wealthy yet. Not hardly.) :p

Now, if BMD offered that discount to existing non-sub users, even if it was for a limited time, I would go for it right now. I still think Fusion is the best compositing application available--even more so now that it's 'affordable' (or free even,)--and I wish to continue using it for a long time. Now, as a longtime user (since version 3,) I'd really like to get our licenses upgraded to 7.5 Studio and support the devs but right now there just isn't the urgency or desire to spend that much money to essentially upgrade to what we already have.

That's not a complaint--just expressing my feelings and thoughts on the subject.

G.

Greenlaw
12-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Quick update:

I installed and tried to use 7.5 (free) today. For the most part, it works just like my full license of 6.4. The auxiliary channel tools work the same, i.e, for Lightwave .exr wiht embedded motion vectors, normals, depth, O/M ID, etc.,: you get Primatte, which is a really awesome keyer--I rely on it heavily for green screen work, especially poorly shot green screens; and many of the usual goodies that I've grown accustomed to using these past 14 or so years of using Fusion.

In general, I'm amazed by what BMD has included in the free release. If you've never used Fusion before, you're in for a treat with this release.

Now, the things that kill the free version for me:

Not being able to use the free Krokodov (http://www.krokodove.com/wordpress/)plugins is a huge one. IMO, the KKD tools are absolutely essential. Imagine not being able to use any of the DPont stuff for Lightwave. For that matter, nor do any of the third party Fusion plugins I own work with 7.5. It hasn't been confirmed that any plugins won't work in the Free version at all (only OFX plugins) but I can confirm that these plugins do not in Fusion 7.5.

Finally, the lack of network render capabilities mentioned above is a big issue for us. We don't have a huge render farm but, gosh darn it, we want to use it. :p

Sooo...it's back to 6.4 for us, for now anyway.

I'll post again if we decide we need to upgrade to 7.5 Studio after it becomes available.

G.

Megalodon2.0
12-14-2014, 03:21 PM
I believe that the full version is still dongled. Also - as someone on CGTalk discovered - if you have one version of professional you have unlimited network rendering. And according to someone on the CGTalk forum, having the free Krokodove plugins work in the free version of Fusion IS being worked on.

You should probably go on the BM forum and ask your questions directly.

Greenlaw
12-14-2014, 04:51 PM
That's cool...on all points! Thanks for the update.

So maybe we can make do with one Studio license and one free one, so long as they both can use the regular plugins (non-OFX), and we do our optical flow stuff on the one Studio license (and render nodes). If that's the case, I'm probably ready to buy that one license and maybe the second one at a later date.

I've actually posted several questions there but my posts haven't been released by the moderators yet. (I signed up to their forums only yesterday.)

G.

djwaterman
12-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Wow, them things look good. I hope that might happen. The website only mentions bringing them to the studio version.

inkpen3d
01-06-2015, 05:39 AM
Got a couriered parcel delivery today from BMD which turned out to be my (free) upgrade to Fusion Studio (from the full commercial version of Fusion 7.0) comprising an SD card and a new hardware license dongle all nicely packaged up in a DVD-sized box.

The installers on the SD card were for Fusion 7.6 (including Dimension) and Generation AM, plus BackMagic Connection (which is surplus to my needs as I don't have Avid Media Composer or Avid|DS).

Excellent customer service from Black Magic Design!

BTW: Looks like I now have 2 fully licensed (i.e. 2 dongles) and working Fusion 7 products - the previous F7.0 and the new F7.6, shame I don't have two high spec computers to run them on or a clone of myself!

Reco
01-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Nice to hear.
I got a mail yesterday with information about a FEDEX delivery on Thursday. I thought it was some sort of mail ware, but noticed that BMD was the sender.
I filled out the form a week ago, but expected to receive a download link.
Looking forward to Black Magic Connection as well. My current Avid Connection does not work With Media Composer 8.3

Reco