PDA

View Full Version : AVI Wrapper not working after update

pgrimpo
11-28-2003, 03:54 PM
I used to always use the AVI wrapper from T3 and then use that file in Encore DVD. Since updating to the latest patch, I get a "File Corrupted" error when trying to load it in Encore.

Anyone else having the same problem?

-Grimps

Jim_C
11-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Yea everyone is.
Newtek has stated it has been duplicated in house and is being worked on.

Sucks tho, thats for sure.

http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/read.cgi?30723

johnq
11-29-2003, 10:20 AM
As noted in another thread, the latest VT3 avi wrapper does work with TMPGEnc. I just used it to encode a one hour avi that I first captured in VT3 using the PIC MJPEG CODEC. It required just under one hour of TMPGEnc compute time. I then brought that mpg2 into Encore. Alternatively, I guess I could have brought the "PIC" avi straight into Encore.

John

pgrimpo
11-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I did some searching and saw that it was not working so I uninstalled the patch. All is well now :) That AVI wrapper is such a great thing, it's a shame it seems to be so flakey from build to build.

-Grimps

Liber777
11-29-2003, 03:54 PM
Crap. I just tried opening a VT3 project in Adobe Audition and it couldn't load the file. Is the only option to uninstall patch 2?

pgrimpo
11-29-2003, 03:55 PM
So far that seems to be the only "fix"
-Grimps

johnq
11-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Sorry if this seems too obvious, but you can render your RTV project to an avi format (even uncompressed) and you should be able to work with that in Audition. You can even render an audio only avi file...

John

pgrimpo
11-29-2003, 08:06 PM
Well of course :) I was referring to a fix for the wrapper. I get a little spoiled when I have the wrapper. That way I don't have to re-render a 1hr. DV file just because of a couple edits ;)

-Grimps

Liber777
11-30-2003, 08:37 AM
The AVI wrapper is a beautiful thing, and VT's been about speed all along. It's a major workflow assist when you need to go t o outside tools. Hopefully we'll see a patch 2a...!

Warmest,
Stivan

Liber777
12-01-2003, 07:57 PM
NewTek released an updated version of Patch 2 tonight, but I still can't get Audition to recognize an AVI-wrapped project like was working before... anyone else?

pgrimpo
12-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Not sure about Audition, but it did play in Windows Media Player. I'll check it in Encore tomorrow.

-Grimps

johnq
12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
The new avi wrapper seems to be working OK. I had never tried it in Audition previously, but I was able to "Insert" a test VT3 avi wrapper into Audition. Audition opens a video monitor window and when I use the Play button, I see the video and hear the audio. However, I do not get any sound by dragging the timeline pointer thru the avi wrapper clip (don't know if I should hear it).

I tried the revised avi wrapper with Encore, Premiere Pro, and After Effects and it seems to be OK. With Vegas 4, it behaves as it did in the original VT3 release: it brings in the video, but the audio is a only a few frames of noise.

John

Liber777
12-02-2003, 10:18 AM
I had a problem "RPC failed" the first time I tried to install the patch, so maybe something's gummed up. I also notice that VT-Edit's tabs are HUGE for a few seconds when VT is first started up and it brings up the last project.

When Audition was working for me I was getting both the video and the audio from the AVI-wrapped VT project.

Warmest,
Stivan

Scott Bates
12-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Stivan observed,
I also notice that VT-Edit's tabs are HUGE for a few seconds when VT is first started up and it brings up the last project.
I sometimes get the mega-tabs for a split second, but has never caused a problem that I'm aware of. I am using DirectX 9.0b if that matters.

If you have a project open in VT-Edit when you exit, it will load it when you restart. Just on principle I always do a ctrl-n to open a new (empty) project before exiting.

johnq
12-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Since I'm getting both the audio and video in Audition, it seems likes the avi wrapper is OK. I installed the revised Update 2 patch by first uninstalling the original Update 2 patch. I restarted my system and then installed the new Update 2 patch. I also see the huge tabs for a second; they've been there since the VT3 final release on my system.

John

Liber777
12-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks! At least I know everything should be working in Audition so I might just have to resort to a hard uninstall and then reinstall VT and the new patch. I'm not at the workstation now, but I think I was getting the RPC failure during the uninstall of Patch 2 itself.

eon5
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Liber777
NewTek released an updated version of Patch 2 tonight...

uGh?

:confused: where is it? :confused:

link please ! http://www.stupid-boy.com/smilies/cwm/cwm/crying.gif

johnq
12-02-2003, 03:35 PM
Here is the link to the login page for the download:
http://www.newtek.com/products/vt/downloads/vt3-update-2.html

It has the same name as the original patch2 (doh!!).

Uninstall patch 2 before installing patch2 revised.

John

bradl
12-02-2003, 08:29 PM
These patches wipe out so many things, it takes me hours to get it all back. For instance if I have custom scripts in a 'user' script folders or any additional things like custom skins, hotkeys, etc. why would a patch wipe these out? Not to mention all the config settings, preferences, splines, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love updates, just hate all the housekeeping that goes with it!

Anybody figure out what exactly got updated (a dll, for example) to avoid a uninstall/reinstall of the patch?

Jim Capillo
12-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by bradl
These patches wipe out so many things, it takes me hours to get it all back. For instance if I have custom scripts in a 'user' script folders or any additional things like custom skins, hotkeys, etc. why would a patch wipe these out? Not to mention all the config settings, preferences, splines, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love updates, just hate all the housekeeping that goes with it!

I keep all my important stuff outside the T[3] folder and if I need to restore it to somewhere inside the folder, I just dump it back in after the update. It has saved a ton of time in the longrun.

bradl
12-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Thanks Jim. I do the same thing but still have to go in and tweak lots of things to get it back the way I want. I am getting better at it though. It may sounds like an excuse, but I am so busy for 10-12 hours a day for days on end using VT3, that I don't have (take) the time to do all the little things that I should. One trick I used to use with other programs was to create a Zip archive with folder option on so restoring many files to many folders was a one click affair (as long as you started from the right place!). I think I need to try this with VT3... Aura... Mirage... Lightwave... DFX... Photoshop... awe heck forget it. I don't have the time! :)

Liber777
12-02-2003, 10:35 PM
Thank goodness for System Restore! I had to restore to a point before the installation of the patch and then install the new Patch 2 again before the AVI wrapper started working again. Audition is working just fine with VT audio/video now...!