PDA

View Full Version : EPSF Loader : What Am I Missing?

spherical
11-08-2014, 08:45 PM
OK, read the manual, watched various tutes, tried both EPS and AI formats as Illustrator v8, tried every perturbation in the dialog box. In 11.6.2, Modeler goes unresponsive and the process has to be killed. Tried 10.1 and it remains responsive but still nothing shows up. Same result with 9.61. Obviously, I'm missing a step somewhere but this can't be that difficult.

ernpchan
11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
What happens if you do this with a simple shape eps file? Can you get that to work?

Dexter2999
11-08-2014, 10:49 PM
How complex? How fine detail did you select on the import?

I'm guessing this isn't a file you want to post but I gotta ask, can you post it so others can give it a try?

spherical
11-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Heck, I just type "Text" in a simple font and save the file. OK, so tried a rectangle. Doesn't get much simpler than that. I loads. Yet, in many tutorials I've watched, curved shape letters come in without seeming to have any issue. One would think that vector fonts would be compatible. If complexity is a problem, then this isn't of much use.

JoePoe
11-09-2014, 09:23 AM
In Illustrator, are you using "Create Outlines" (in Type dropdown) on your text before saving?
(as v8 is still correct, afaik)

prometheus
11-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I havenīt experienced any issues with importing, using lightwave 32 bit, 11.6.2, import with eps loader 2.1 use eps,not ai. and always eps 8 versions.

I can work with paths in illustrator and use pathfinder to boolean cut paths etc, and import it correctly to lightwave, so not sure what issues you have, how is your original looking, and you import settings?

In illustrator for text, right click and create outlines, that is needed for text, or go to object expand...or type/create outlines.

Michael

Dexter2999
11-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Try this generic shape and text. Simple shapes and text in EPS v8. It works instantly here. If you are having problems with it then it could be a LW problem. If it loads fine then perhaps you are having Illustrator issues.

spherical
11-09-2014, 02:13 PM
"Create Outlines"

BINGO! That's what I was missing. Thanks, guys. As in many, many manuals and tutorials, there is some crucial step left out that screws the whole thing. None of what I read/watched said anything about it. I don't spend that much time in Illustrator. Had I more experience with it, I most probably would have done it as a matter of course; which is probably why most don't think to put it into their instructions. Second nature.

prometheus
11-09-2014, 03:54 PM
BINGO! That's what I was missing. Thanks, guys. As in many, many manuals and tutorials, there is some crucial step left out that screws the whole thing. None of what I read/watched said anything about it. I don't spend that much time in Illustrator. Had I more experience with it, I most probably would have done it as a matter of course; which is probably why most don't think to put it into their instructions. Second nature.

I am being a pain in the ...and I will sound like a cocky besserwisser, create outline is a standard knowledge when working with illustrator and especially in preparing documents for other programs and the printing process, but easy to say for those who knows and have had some sort of education in it etc.

Itīs understandable that not everyone can know this, so donīt take me the wrong way on it just because I mentioned that.

spherical
11-10-2014, 02:00 AM
Then you should have considered your response first. Rude doesn't even scratch the surface. Question to ask yourself is: "Is this comment really necessary?" That said, some objects in Illustrator do not need to have Outlines Created.

spherical
11-10-2014, 02:20 AM
Furthermore, back when most everything was bitmaps, probably before your time, one had to create outlines by using AutoTrace or now Live Trace in order to convert whatever to vector. With nearly all fonts, Adobe PS (stands for Postscript—BTW), TTF and OpenType BEING vector these days, what is the need to use an outdated tech to create outlines for an entity that is outlines to begin with? That's the whole point of vector fonts; infinite scalability without pixelization, because they are OUTLINES.

Wow. One wonders why anyone asks a question in here.

prometheus
11-10-2014, 05:45 AM
You can do the text in Lightwave, no need to convert to anything:D

djwaterman
11-10-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm trying hard to see the "rude"in Prometheus's response. Seemed pretty chummy actually. I was using Illustrator these last few weeks doing some graphic work, so I came to love and hate it as I learn't how to use it, I mostly enjoy it but it's just not as easy to work with as other Adobe products, a bit messy trying to keep track of layers and selecting stuff, guess you'd need to sit on it for a few months to become fast. I like so much about it.

stiff paper
11-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Wow. One wonders why anyone asks a question in here.
Do they do it so they can instantly come unhinged and go totally thermonuclear at the merest perceived slight?

prometheus
11-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm trying hard to see the "rude"in Prometheus's response. Seemed pretty chummy actually. I was using Illustrator these last few weeks doing some graphic work, so I came to love and hate it as I learn't how to use it, I mostly enjoy it but it's just not as easy to work with as other Adobe products, a bit messy trying to keep track of layers and selecting stuff, guess you'd need to sit on it for a few months to become fast. I like so much about it.

I guess I forgot some emotional smiley or a fool icon after my comments, itīs hard to convey something with a tone in text only, and some guys are very sensitive. 8/

By the way, for illustrator work.... if some of you needs to create special paths or extract etc...using pathfinder allows to do 2d booleans of shapes, to either union or subtract shapes, and you can quite easy create symbols to follow paths etc...once you have made your shape with pathfinder booleans, I recommend go to object expand appearance before saving eps, I just recently tested some stuff and it sometimes saves out ok without expanding..and sometimes not, and I also got some weird error when expanding...to much messing around I guess.

illustrator can be nice to use for blending shapes or extracting shapes from images, cracks from images to use as cookie cutters when fracturing etc...and also might be useful for creating roads, easy to offset curves and then join them with pathfinder.

Michael

Spaceboy64
10-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Text needs to be converted to outlines because otherwise, all the information about the curves comes from the font file, and this does not get exported into the eps file. This is a very common problem when working with fonts. Artwork may look fine on a client's computer, but if your computer doesn't have the same fonts installed, the artwork may be totally different, and unusable. So, it's a good rule of thumb to convert to paths and save copy when sending to someone else.

I am also having trouble importing eps files into Lightwave, but it's because I don't have Illustrator. I use Inkscape, and it doesn't save eps in an old enough version that Lightwave will read. Anyone have an answer?

Thanks.

Dexter2999
11-08-2015, 05:17 PM
I am also having trouble importing eps files into Lightwave, but it's because I don't have Illustrator. I use Inkscape, and it doesn't save eps in an old enough version that Lightwave will read. Anyone have an answer?

Thanks.
Don't know if you have found an answer or not, but here is a workaround.
Save your inkskape document as SVG. Then use Blender to load and transform the paths to curves and save out as OBJ.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZDR8nCYdvU

jeric_synergy
11-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Possibly load it into PShop, and then save the path. IIRC, I recently exported a PShop PATH as a *.ai, and it imported into LWM fine. Well, acceptably.