PDA

View Full Version : "Animated boolean" (cheat)

Slartibartfast
11-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Some time ago I saw a commercial that included a ball with an animated hole in it, and I wondered how that could be done in LW. Well, this is how I made it. Perhaps it can be used by someone.

http://youtu.be/4MQbGdb8224

And here is the scene. Dissect the displacement nodes if you like, but be aware - it's really ugly and I am amazed it works. Some abuse of the transform2 tool. There is most likely a much more elegant way of doing it. (I reused a compund node I made while testing some vector matrices)

tyrot
11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
i have just clicked - compound node - and my screen exploded! what a hack!

prometheus
11-08-2014, 05:13 PM
I think it might be easier to use dpontīs boolean, in surface editor, for the main object,node editor..plug the boolean node alpha in to transparency, you need to double click on the boolean node and select the cutaway object(target object) and check it with insdide mode.
then you click on the surface for the cutaway object... node editor plug the boolean node alpha in to transparency, double click on the boolean node and select your main object as target object, check mode as outside, thatīs it.
works interactivly in vpr, but be careful to set right mode...think it can crash otherwise with vpr, might be related to subpatched objects.

Michael

Slartibartfast
11-09-2014, 02:46 AM
i have just clicked - compound node - and my screen exploded! what a hack!
Haha, I warned you ;D
As I said, I just wanted to test the concept and needed a "rotate around vector"-function. And that explosive compound was found in one of my drawers from earlier experiments. If anyone has a simpler (native) version of that, please post here. (I have some ideas about how to do that but I still have to make it work...which it doesn't at the moment. At least not in displacement editor.) Why native? Well, that's a way of learning. Using a plugin doesn't really help. It gets the job done (as does my explosive node), but I want to understand what happens "under the hood".

@prometheus: I'm not sure it would be that easy since you have to animate the cutaway object to mimic the blue surface in my movie. But I have never used those nodes so I wouldn't know. But you are more than welcome to post a scene. It's always nice to see more solutions to a problem, and learning something new :)

vector
11-09-2014, 03:09 AM
It's a pity DP node doesn't work when exporting using render buffer export :(

dpont
11-09-2014, 04:02 AM
It's a pity DP node doesn't work when exporting using render buffer export :(

I have no issue here with Boolean node and LW Buffers.

Denis.

Slartibartfast
11-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Ok, I made a version that doesn't explode in your face. Easier? Dunno, but I'm happy with it!

Scene:

Cheers

prometheus
11-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Haha, I warned you ;D
As I said, I just wanted to test the concept and needed a "rotate around vector"-function. And that explosive compound was found in one of my drawers from earlier experiments. If anyone has a simpler (native) version of that, please post here. (I have some ideas about how to do that but I still have to make it work...which it doesn't at the moment. At least not in displacement editor.) Why native? Well, that's a way of learning. Using a plugin doesn't really help. It gets the job done (as does my explosive node), but I want to understand what happens "under the hood".

@prometheus: I'm not sure it would be that easy since you have to animate the cutaway object to mimic the blue surface in my movie. But I have never used those nodes so I wouldn't know. But you are more than welcome to post a scene. It's always nice to see more solutions to a problem, and learning something new :)

Regarding dpont boolean...
Itīs not hard at all, simply move a cutaway box trough the sphere and the animated hole result will be almost the same, you can also target the cutaway box towards the sphere, so you can move it freely around the spheres normals to animate the hole where you want...or perhaps try a cutaway sphere and use sticky surface to the sphere..so the cutaway sphere will follow the surface around the sphere.
Setting it up with dpont boolean requires less fuss with nodes, and are more easier to overview maybe...though I havenīt checked your nodes yet, will do that later.

I might prepare a sample later on.

Slartibartfast
11-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Regarding dpont boolean...
Itīs not hard at all, simply move a cutaway box trough the sphere and the animated hole result will be almost the same, you can also target the cutaway box towards the sphere, so you can move it freely around the spheres normals to animate the hole where you want...or perhaps try a cutaway sphere and use sticky surface to the sphere..so the cutaway sphere will follow the surface around the sphere.
Setting it up with dpont boolean requires less fuss with nodes, and are more easier to overview maybe...though I havenīt checked your nodes yet, will do that later.

I might prepare a sample later on.

Thanks, I'll have a look. It might be nescessary because:

In the displacement editor, the HPBMatrix and or MatrixHPB seem to be broken. If your object has 1000 points everything works as expected. Add 1 point to your object and it breaks the object. Some points get random positions. scrub the timeline and it's not even the same positions when you get back to previous frame.
This caused a lot of headache before I realized this! Can any node guru comment on this before I report the bug?

Slartibartfast
11-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Bug reported as 73588

prometheus
11-11-2014, 03:33 PM
check this thread..dealing with booleans...bryphi also posted a tutorial which might help you set up things...
check last post for the tutorial link...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144361-Puzzled-on-the-best-way-to-do-this

vector
11-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I have no issue here with Boolean node and LW Buffers.

Denis.

Thanks, Denis. I'll check what I'm doing wrong