PDA

View Full Version : no reply from newtek.....not even a no!

cresshead
03-05-2003, 03:12 PM
hi
i sent a few emails around about a month back to lightwave support and also to proton..no reply as yet...Hmmm are they all on holiday?

it concerns the fact that i have lightwave 7.5 and lightscape 3.2 and would like to get the connection from LW to lightscape up n running..which would mean that i'd like lw5.6 sending out to me so i can get the connection to that version of lw has seeing as lw7 dumped the ability.

several other posters say that newtek would be kind enough..

not had a single response..
slightly dissapointed really..not even a "no".

steve gilbert

www.cresshead.com

:confused:

Epita
03-05-2003, 04:18 PM
they are probably just really busy at the moment. VT 3 is nearring compleation and work on LW 8 is still going on hard. They will probably do a whole load of stuff when they are compleated, just dont hold your breath for it!

Epita

Qexit
03-05-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi Steve

You might want to try looking in here for what you need :

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw56/

cgolchert
03-05-2003, 05:55 PM
it concerns the fact that i have lightwave 7.5 and lightscape 3.2 and would like to get the connection from LW to lightscape up n running..which would mean that i'd like lw5.6 sending out to me so i can get the connection to that version of lw has seeing as lw7 dumped the ability.

So you want Newtek to send you a free copy of 5.6? Maybe you should contact discreet before they drop all support for lightscape (unless they already have).

brtk
03-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Steve,
It seems that descreet has abandoned LS totaly and the LS itself havent had LW support after v56... But , I think that thereīs workaround for getting your models into LS and getting textures out of it- I just have tried it on a simple model and it worked quite well. First make an UV map, assign textures as usually and using Polytrans export it as 3ds ( I dont remember but I think it didnīt work when exporting as .lp) next, import the model into LS, you will probably need to reassign all the bitmaps manually, start light solution. The last step is to bake the solution using LSībaking utility - just tick in Use Objectīs own UV and it should work.
I remember I had got some errors but it might depend on some garbage polybons in my test object and well it was quite long time ago and I dont remember all the steps exactly but if you insist on using LS give it a try...
Cheers
/Bartek

Karl Hansson
03-06-2003, 12:26 AM
I know how you feel. NT support isn't the best around. Ive been trying to get in contact with them on a couple of times with issues . I haven't got a single answer out of them, not ones. Luckey I manage to find solutions to the issues my self or via other users.

Freak
03-06-2003, 01:58 AM
They most probally did not take you seriously....

If i got a message asking for a copy of LW5.6 so i could use a discontinued discreet product. I'd just laugh at you too...
(Hahaheheheh) See!

Besides, i do remember this being talked about many times before on the old forums.

Here's what i do when i have a problem...

Read The Manual
Consult a forum, or newsgroup.....
Email support
Use the telephone..
Publically shame Chuck, until you get a response... :)

Failing that, start sending mysterious packages with white powder in the mail.....

Or send Hoax emails threathing to blow up the NT building,
unless a patch is sent to a certain email address.
And then watch on National TV as they are evacuated from the building.

(Warning: Police can track your email, and have officers breaking into your house, within 45mins) TRUST ME!!!!! ;)

But you can defend yourself in court, and threaten them with a PR nightmare (one man can take down a large corporation)
And they will drop all charges, very quickly!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!!! ;)

Beamtracer
03-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Hey, Freak, you'd better not fly in a plane with talk like that. People who jokingly make non-serious remarks like that usually get arrested.

You've probably already set of an alarm at Eschelon. In case you don't know, most of the English speaking countries collaborate with a system of eavesdropping on phone calls and emails. It's called Eschelon, and involves the United States National Security Agency (NSA), the GCHQ in Britain, and the DSD in Australia. These are the departments that electronically monitor communications. Whenever certain key words are used (like you did above) it alerts a human to take a closer look.

Hi Eschelon! Welcome to the Lightwave forum!

cresshead
03-06-2003, 05:43 AM
Hmm I expect your attitude :
>>>If i got a message asking for a copy of LW5.6 so i could use a discontinued discreet product. I'd just laugh at you too...
(Hahaheheheh) See! <<<

is that you play with lw rather than use it to generate your income.

lightscape was retired on jan31 2003...yet most evryone who uses it continuse to do so because of it's high end lighting tools and capability to light analyisis a proposed building...i want lightwave to get contected to lightscape with it's good modelling tools rather than max [which i also have btw]...i'd like the choice.

the real problem i see here is that newtek as a company doesn't see it's users need for a reply as a priority..someting that discreet would reply to, i find newtek so far to be silent and aloof.

would anyone from newtek like to comment rather than the childrens play pen offering i've had so far?

steve gilbert

cresshead
03-06-2003, 07:34 AM
also if the idea of supplying an old version of lightwave to lw 7.5 users seems so laughable what are the work arounds for lw7.5 users wanting to incorporate lightscape's true radiosity lighting capabilities?

i have no problem exporting a mesh to lightscape and can sort out texturing etc in lightscape..my need is to get the lighting result from lightscape back into lightwave for additional rendering/animation/fx with characters etc.

serious replies please!

thanks in advance

steve g

Chuck
03-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Hi, Steve!

Please email me to let me know what specific email addresses you've sent to, and I will pass that information along to the appropriate managers for their review. If you have inquired with the customer services department, [email protected], which would be the proper place to make the inquiry, and have not had a reply, you can email the customer services manager at [email protected]

cresshead
03-06-2003, 08:05 AM
hi boss,
thanks for taking the time to post.

i'll try the customer service dept again [maybe the message got mislayed or lost in the internet...] and also the manager too.

cheers

steve g:)

cresshead
03-06-2003, 12:55 PM
hi
got a reply...unfortunatly they think i'm having trouble exporting to, lightscape although i did explain what i need...still at least i've got some movement on this..thanks chuck.

i'll have to try my long winded method:

model in lw
use the lwo importer for max
export lp file to lightscape
import lp file back into max
export as a fbx file
import fbx file into lightwave...

i'll have to see if it works...
other than that what's the current price for a second hand intel lightwave 5.6??

cheers

steve g

pixelmonk
03-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
Hmm I expect your attitude :
>>>If i got a message asking for a copy of LW5.6 so i could use a discontinued discreet product. I'd just laugh at you too...
(Hahaheheheh) See! <<<

is that you play with lw rather than use it to generate your income.

lightscape was retired on jan31 2003...yet most evryone who uses it continuse to do so because of it's high end lighting tools and capability to light analyisis a proposed building...i want lightwave to get contected to lightscape with it's good modelling tools rather than max [which i also have btw]...i'd like the choice.

the real problem i see here is that newtek as a company doesn't see it's users need for a reply as a priority..someting that discreet would reply to, i find newtek so far to be silent and aloof.

would anyone from newtek like to comment rather than the childrens play pen offering i've had so far?

steve gilbert

Why does it have to be Newtek? Newtek doesn't create 3rd party plugins for Renderman, Mental Ray, Brazil and a host of others. You shouldn't feel like they're singling out Liteskape, even though it hasn't been updated in years and Discrete was just trying to find a way to kill it slowly and force its users to MaxViz.

cresshead
03-07-2003, 08:44 AM
v true...i thought that newtek made the connection to lightwave..maybe it was discreet that did it...hopefully i'll find a way to work in lightwave/lightscape soon...i just had a rather nifty email from newtek europe:D

steve g