PDA

View Full Version : Aligning UV Poly Islands on Top of Each Other

JBT27
11-04-2014, 08:00 AM
This is the edge of a coin, and I want to add ribbing to it with a normal map. There are 128 poly islands, and I reckoned the quickest way would be to sit the islands on top of each other, so they all get the same simple repeating rib pattern. I could keep the edge welded in a strip and size just one 3 poly segment to fit the 0,1 UV space, but I also want the two faces of the coin on the same map, so ideally should stack the edge islands together.

Except I can't think of or find an automated way to do it.

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Julian.

MarcusM
11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Maybe try other way ans use UV Creeper plugin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzIc2guJ4yg

JoePoe
11-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Use Quad Poly Map (map tab>UV Texture>Poly Map>) to do the edge and then add in the two faces.
In one click, Quad Poly Map will put all edge polys on top of each other and fill the UV space. I just scaled them down to a better proportion and to make room for the faces.
(you can see in the UV map I only have, what appears to be, one poly selected. But, as you can see in perspective view, it is in fact all the side polys.)

.... if you want shorter strips plain old Atlas splits the ring into four groups. Or perhaps the new ABF tool.

Edit: Ah, I missed that you're using three-poly sections. Stacking those...... hmmm. Thinking.
Edit 2: Yeah. okay.... I'd still use QPM. As groups, I just moved/sized the side sections. (So you have 128 poly islands, but its like manipulating only three polys.)
Didn't take but a minute or two.

....oh, and I used "Select by Nth" to easily select every third poly in the chain to get a group.

JBT27
11-04-2014, 12:23 PM
Great - thanks very much JoePoe - completely forgotten about QPM. Got some nice strips from both ABF and UV_Creeper, but QPM and some quick adjusting did the job.

Thanks all for the ideas.

Julian.