PDA

View Full Version : weight maps not isolating as directed....

stylus10
11-04-2014, 07:07 AM
hi, this again, thanks for your help. i am using lightwave 11.6.3 win8 amd bulldozer 8 core, and have a complex model with genoma rigging. i designate a weight map, blur it and then assign it to a section of genoma bones via skelligon weights. still, the bones influence other sections of the model. i can't remember what i did when i had this problem before. i know i am missing something simple.... thanks again for your help.

jasonwestmas
11-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Is this rig bones or joints? If it's joints you may have to shift the position of your weight map assignments up or down in the hierarchy. If that isn't it you'd have to share your bone property settings.

stylus10
11-04-2014, 07:49 AM
it's a genoma rig. only the bones pair with weight maps.

Ryan Roye
11-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Not that I think it directly affects anything in this case, but something to know is that setting a weight map value for geometry to 0% DOES NOT delete the weight map for that part of the geometry! You need to use "Clear Map" (defaulted to the shift-underscore hotkey) to "delete" weight map values from geometry. The "Clear Map" command applies relative to what is currently displayed in the lower right corner of the Lightwave UI and can be used to delete UV maps polys, weights, etc.

Kryslin
11-04-2014, 09:52 AM
To clear weight maps, you can also use the vertex maps panel, select your vertex map from the list of maps, right click, and select delete.

There is also a plugin that allows you to delete vertex maps in quantity; I believe it's a TrueArt plugin.

If I remember right, with Genoma, only the "long" bones (colored blue or white) get weight maps; the green, purple, orange, and red do not.

RebelHill
11-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Its because you've got bones influencing parts... its not the weights you need to change, its the bone assignments, you need to pick through the bones and ensure that any which are not intended to influence the mesh have their strength set to 0.

Sensei
11-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Not that I think it directly affects anything in this case, but something to know is that setting a weight map value for geometry to 0% DOES NOT delete the weight map for that part of the geometry! You need to use "Clear Map" (defaulted to the shift-underscore hotkey) to "delete" weight map values from geometry. The "Clear Map" command applies relative to what is currently displayed in the lower right corner of the Lightwave UI and can be used to delete UV maps polys, weights, etc.

That's why I made tool for visualizing weight map values in Modeler's viewports Show Weights (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/ShowWeights).
To be able to know where are not mapped vertexes, and where are mapped to 0%.

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/ShowWeights/Graphics/ShowWeights_3.png

Plugin or tool code can differently interpret not mapped vertex than mapped to 0% (usually because of error made by programmer - lack of initialization of storage variable to 0).

stylus10
11-04-2014, 04:39 PM
thanks so much! i've been away for a few hours. let me go through these, i am sure the answer is here somewhere. :)

Greenlaw
11-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to offer my +1 for Sensei's Show Weights tool.

I like to use it when I'm being extra fussy about a character/creature but I also use it for effects/dynamics setups. It's really handy when you need to dial in very precise values.

G.