PDA

View Full Version : Octane Render passes Workflow in Eyeon Fusion ( Surface ID )

Carlo_Jongen
11-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi,

I would like to post my question in the link below here at the NewTek forum, just if any of you know the answer.

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=43278

Thanks...

Freelance Lightwave Animation at www.c3d.be

Sensei
11-03-2014, 10:26 AM
ExrTrader is shader AFAIK, and these can't work from 3rd party renderers (unless their developers will cooperate), so you have to use something else that works.

Color is also information, just in triplets.
You can extract channels from color by using f.e. TrueArt's Node Library > Tools > Split Color.
or Vector to Scalar.

Generally this question seems to be for Fusion application, than LightWave, or Octane..

Carlo_Jongen
11-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi Sensei, thanks for your reply.
I knew that ExrTrader wouldn't work because it is incompatible with Octane. But it would be useful to be able to make a matte by selecting an ID instead of trying to key a color and making a matte out of it.
I don't know if this is a question for Fusion since Octane is rendering out the ID pass. I wonder, shouldn't Octane be more compliant with the postproduction tools out there... Anyway I posted the question to Fusion and lets see what they have to say about this :-) Thanks for the tip.

Sensei
11-03-2014, 04:08 PM
If Octane renders image which has different color for different materials, then should be just a matter of compositing application to detect these colors and assign different stuff for different colors=materials.

Danner
11-04-2014, 01:49 AM
I use ID pass a lot in Lightwave but I don't have octane. Would it work if you made the ID pass in native lightwave render then use it to modify the Octane rendered images? I made an image so I remember how to do it and what I should turn off to help it render faster. I have since modified the base gradient to have more contrasting colors, also don't render to .jpg as the compression makes the ID's innacurate. 125330

Carlo_Jongen
11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Danner,

With Octane you don't need to set-up some nodes to give every surface a different color, The Octane Render pass will do that for you.
The point was to have an ID number with every surface so within Fusion ( or any other tool ) you could make a matte with the ID number.

In the next link you can download the source files that I've made to test this within the LW-Octane Fusion workflow.
Even if you don't have Octane, inside this map I've put 3 rendered frames ( exr ) with the Material Pass embedded in the Material channel.

Below is a screen cap where I pass the Material ID Rendered with Octane to the RGB channel in Fusion.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UlRSeFVWSWg3N0JjR01UQw

Carlo_Jongen
11-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Yes that would be the first step, but what if you have many surfaces and two surfaces next to each other have nearly the same color in the Material ID pass. In that case making a matte from a color isn't the best option.

If Octane renders image which has different color for different materials, then should be just a matter of compositing application to detect these colors and assign different stuff for different colors=materials.