PDA

View Full Version : Using Backdrop Images in Modeler (edits are not reflected)

Chrizto
11-02-2014, 09:23 AM
One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to make Modeler reload the chosen backdrop from disk instead of using its cached version.

Scenario:
1. I choose a backdrop for TopLeft (top).
2. I realize that I need to rotate it like, 90 degrees cw.
3. Fire up some image editor and do the rotate.
4. Back in Modeler nothing happens even if I choose the image anew.

Any ideas on that?

I have to restart Modeler to get it to reload the image from disk. :ohmy:

Help is appreciated, as always.
(and in this forum one is guaranteed to get it. ;-) )

MarcusM
11-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Reload in Image Editor ;]
If you want mirror image you can add "-" in Aspect Ratio value, in backdrop options.

Sensei
11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
There is tool in TrueArt's Modeling Pack
http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
"Reload Images" for Modeler,
"Reload Images" for Layout (different plugin class). These two can be hot-keyed. Might be useful for somebody painting textures in Photoshop and wanting to see them updated in Modeler. Unbeatable if you have f.e. one map for diffuse, second map for color, 3rd map for specularity, and changing them (painting) dozen times..
and
Auto Update Images, Layout master plugin class that is monitoring all the time changes made to image files..
http://autoupdateimages.trueart.eu

Chrizto
11-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the tips. I know you have great plugins, Sensei. TrueArt rocks.
It didn't occur to me to use the built-in image editor in LW!
There is a "Reload" button there that works great as well!

What's a bit annoying is that there isn't a "Rotate" function in the Image "Editor".
That wouldn't have cost much to add...

Sensei
11-02-2014, 03:13 PM
What's a bit annoying is that there isn't a "Rotate" function in the Image "Editor".
That wouldn't have cost much to add...

How that should work?

prometheus
11-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Dont confuse modelers display/backdrop with image editor, or surface editor..if you work with display backdrop, make sure you edit your backdrop the right way in photoshop for instance...it has nothing to do with image editor or surface editing so you canīt rotate it...or flip it, so that requires you set it up in photoshop.

Or...
surface editing in modeler allows for rotation..but you create the image planes and you can then rotatethe image as you want, and save it along with the object.

So with that in mind..why would you need a rotate function in image editor? when you do that in the color channel for the surface.

you also have texture guide to work with in modeler if you know how to...it īs located under uv texture/more...and keep numeric panel open for exact values.

Sensei
11-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Ah, this way.
You can make quad polygon, then texture it, and it'll be "fake" background image..
Rotate it any way you need.

BokadCastle
11-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Wouldn't you just create a new image already rotated from the original, and load that in Image Editor?

Ah, just noticed Prometheus already suggested.

prometheus
11-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't you just create a new image already rotated from the original, and load that in Image Editor?

Ah, just noticed Prometheus already suggested.

yep...and if you want to use the backdrop in the display wiewport in modeler, as marcusM already suggested, use - before the automatic size or if you have aspect ratio turned on...use the - there, and it will flip the image...so flipping the image is possible, but not rotating in display backdrop in viewport.

Chrizto
11-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Dont confuse modelers display/backdrop with image editor, or surface editor..if you work with display backdrop, make sure you edit your backdrop the right way in photoshop for instance...it has nothing to do with image editor or surface editing so you canīt rotate it...or flip it, so that requires you set it up in photoshop.

This was what I was hoping to not need to do for a simple task such as to flip an image that got wrong the first time around in Photoshop.
You can add all sorts of filters and do many things in the "Image Editor" in LW, so I was proposing a way to just define a degree value and a rotation direction, like (90, ccw) right there in the editor where them backdrops added shows up anyway.

Sensei
11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Image filter wouldn't be able to rotate 90 degree images with different width than height, as they can't change image size.

prometheus
11-03-2014, 09:25 PM
This was what I was hoping to not need to do for a simple task such as to flip an image that got wrong the first time around in Photoshop.
You can add all sorts of filters and do many things in the "Image Editor" in LW, so I was proposing a way to just define a degree value and a rotation direction, like (90, ccw) right there in the editor where them backdrops added shows up anyway.

Yes...I understand that, but you were implying that image editor should take care of that..and it has nothing to do with backdrop images in modeler, instead there should be flip and rotate button in the viewport backdrop image options, that is more understandable and correct...so I can agree with you that it could help out having those, otherwise it is only making things harder for oneself if you donīt deal with it in workarounds which is quite simple anyway, and that is to fix it in photoshop and you ar done...photoshop is pretty much a necessary tool to use everyday almost for combining 3d works and images...so the process is to work with the correct images from scratch, and if they are facing the wrong way, flip them in photoshop or rotate.

Personally I donīt feel it to be too much of a hazzle resorting to photoshop to flip or rotate an image, but thatīs me.

prometheus
11-03-2014, 09:31 PM
double post timed out.

tburbage
11-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Well, I agree with you. ZBrush has FlipU, FlipV, and Rotate functions in both its Texture and Alpha panels which can be thought of in a general sense as analogous to Image Editor and they are useful functions. They act on the image data after load and don't alter the input image on disk (unless you want to export/"save transformed" which you can do right from there). Sure you can always go back to Photoshop to save yet another transformed copy of the image, but you shouldn't need to.