PDA

View Full Version : Exploded CAD like Renderings in LW 11.6?

jesblood
10-31-2014, 02:45 PM
Is it possible to produce exploded CAD like renderings in LW 11.6? Are there any plugins or tutorials that can help?
Dont care if the plugins are expensive.
Any assitance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mr_Q
10-31-2014, 02:49 PM
You get the CAD data, then animate it. About the only way to do it. Key-framing. There's no real plugin that doesn't that anim.

Sensei
10-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Is it possible to produce exploded CAD like renderings in LW 11.6? Are there any plugins or tutorials that can help?
Dont care if the plugins are expensive.
Any assitance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What do you mean by "exploded CAD like rendering"??

If you want to split object to couple (hundred) parts you should use Multiply > Fracture tool.
After that you can animate explosion in Layout.

If you want to split large object to separate layers or objects I can give you couple tools to do it automatically.
Parts To Layers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-wXoQm5ZMA
will place each part to separate layer.

Surface To Layers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5uKgchh1M
will do the same, but each surface to separate layer.

Layers To Objects
copy layers to separate objects.

Save Layers To Folder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6cIk5VhZIM
will save layers to independent lwo object in specified folder.

Large resolution renders are possible with VirtualRender (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/VirtualRender)
Examples have 16000 x 12000 pixels, but it's not the limit..

JamesCurtis
10-31-2014, 05:09 PM
I think what he means is to create an exploded view of a product, meaning he wants something like this image which was created fully in LW with its tools. Parts were moved into place individually [I made about $900.00 doing this BTW].

It would be nice if there was such a tool. Don't know of any off-hand, but would definitely be nice if there is/was one.

Sensei
10-31-2014, 05:18 PM
It would be nice if there was such a tool.

How tool can know whether you want to move part in +x, -x, +z, -z axis automatically?

JamesCurtis
10-31-2014, 05:29 PM
Why do you think I had placed all of these individually manually. BTW, this example was done in 2010. It wasn't as hard as it might look.

Wickedpup
10-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Xpose in Zbrush is one example of how a plugin like that would work....

Edit: might be possible to animate it in Zbrush and export the MDD.....or simply export the exploded model if a still is what you're looking for

ernpchan
10-31-2014, 05:52 PM
You could probably script this.

Pseudo could would look sorta like this:

Get user's selection.
Get user offset amount and axis.
Get user's animation length.
Create animation based on user's input by adding offset to position at end of animation.

User would then repeat the process by selecting the other items.

I don't know if this saves that much time since you still have to select items.

JoePoe
10-31-2014, 05:57 PM
I actually think the OP is asking about Isometric perspective.
There is a recipe for this, I just can't remember it. Ortho camera? Or just a really big Lens focal length?
It's not hard, I just can't remember at the moment.

Also, regarding the exploding parts.....

Sensei, I think one of your plugs can help with this in a big way.... Weight Polygon Groups (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/WeightPolygonGroups)!

Weight the part groups and use the move tool with weight falloff. :)

Sensei
10-31-2014, 06:19 PM
I actually think the OP is asking about Isometric perspective.
There is a recipe for this, I just can't remember it. Ortho camera? Or just a really big Lens focal length?
It's not hard, I just can't remember at the moment.

How to make orthographic camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ_2jzam45k

Ryan Roye
10-31-2014, 06:53 PM
The Translate Average Tool in the RR_Tools_Pro plugin set will save you tons of time doing this kind of stuff, and on sale you can get it paired with all of the RR tools for about $10-11 if you know a coupon code.

I made a demonstration demo specifically for this thread to show you how awesome these plugins are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4rFPBGw2-A&feature=youtu.be

Get RR Tools Pro at Liberty3d.com (http://www.liberty3d.com/citizens/ryan-roye/ryan-royes-commercial-plugins/) (LW version 11.6+ required)

Snosrap
10-31-2014, 09:10 PM
For exploded views of objects in LW use the Morph Mixer. Just move the parts in Modeler after creating a morph map and in Layout add the Morph Mixer and have fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDyjX0eQr48&feature=youtu.be

prometheus
11-01-2014, 05:35 AM
I did something like that with dpontīpart move...exploded all parts in normal direction, fairly simple.

prometheus
11-01-2014, 06:06 AM
hereīs a sample animation, with dpont node, you can se the setup in the clip..I had a few of these..not sure this was the best one to showcase since I think they should move more exploded in the normal direction for all parts....

all parts in one layer, no morphs ..just displacements in node editor, though using morphs will give you exactly placements where you want it..but takes longer to set up, and they will be locked thart way without further control
of rotation or changes unless those changes are morphs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhZBt7VUTg

you can find the free plugins in the dp kit here...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/nodes/Download.htm

prometheus
11-01-2014, 07:05 AM
By the way, generally in modeler there is explode to parts within the fracture tool...but a little hidden is in fact a single explode to parts tool, go to edit menu, searc for explode...and you will find explode to parts, drag that to the multiply menu under the other fracture tools and you can use that to explode all unconnected geometry without actually destroying them or fracture them, then just use that as a morph in layout or save morph to base geometry for still rendering.

I actually didnīt know about it until now..and I thought the lw team must have been smart to implement such tool without fracture, but have hidden it from us to check how smart we are..so I figure I would search for explode, and voila...there it was.

Michael.

jesblood
11-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Wow! You guys are the best! Thanks for all the info. JamesCurtis was correct. That's exactly the kind of render I was talking about. Now reading through the responses I realize I wasn't specific enough. What I need to know was how to shade it the way JamesCurtis did. That's what I wasn't aware of. Whether you could use LW to do this.

However all your information is totally appreciated as I was going to hand place all the elements. You guys just saved my sanity!!! Thank you so very very very much.

But could someone please advise how to get the kind of shading in the render example JamesCurtis provided? Thanks.

Sensei
11-01-2014, 11:26 AM
But could someone please advise how to get the kind of shading in the render example JamesCurtis provided? Thanks.

How to render outline video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCov7Shd7M

JamesCurtis probably used different technique.

Ryan Roye
11-01-2014, 11:30 AM
How to render outline video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCov7Shd7M

Cool tutorial Sensei. I bet this same trick would be uber handy for print-related stuffs too.

jeric_synergy
11-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Shading versus animation, oops! :D

OP, a good search term is "NPR" or "non-photographic render lightwave", many resources on that.

Liberty3d.com 's Dana Burman (DW Burman) did a commercial tutorial on this animation technique, you could check his list on Liberty3d.

I don't know how Dana did his, but I imagine it was done with weightmaps.

The question "how X/Y/Z?" could be addressed by some sort of parts-oriented triplet that describes a vector: I can't thiink in this coffee shop, but you could encode -1<>1 for x/y/z in a value, put that in the w.map, use a node network to extract the vector for use in 'disassembling' the object. Of course, you just get a straight line, but that's likely Good Enough. There should be plenty of bytes left over in the value to add a delay time too, so you could encode both timing and vector movement in one value.

Perhaps RH or swampy or ernpchan could be more informative on how to stick multiple discrete values into one number: I know it involves powers of 2 (or powers of something), but this muzak is in my head.....

tyrot
11-01-2014, 12:26 PM
hey snosrap - thanks for morph tip - :)
prometheus - a GREAT discovery:)

jeric_synergy
11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Oh, duh, morph map=vector displacement. d'oh. OK, put just the delay into the w.map.

JoePoe
11-01-2014, 01:33 PM
I'd still play with ortho camera to get the cad "perspective".... james does seem to have the Isometric thing happening.

Surfacing.... don't know exactly what you're dealing with, but simply turning on render outlines can go a long way.
Turned up lum a bit just so the darkest side wasn't completely black.
Distant light rotated "just so" to give a couple shades of grey.
Trace shadows OFF.

DP Edge Node is another option if sharp creases doesn't catch everything. But it wont do the sides of tubes so you still need silhouettes.

...done with DP edge

prometheus
11-01-2014, 02:28 PM
one boring part of making the cad style rendering..in lightwave, poor edge rendered results, in curved or cicular edges...since it isnīt true cad elements ..which by themself in their true cad environment will generate absolutly smooth edges, but in lightwave where a cylinder or circle in lightwave will be edgy due to often low poly representation...so a cad extracted drawing will look better and smoother when done in a cad software, unless you remesh or adapt the objects to be subdivision surfaces or increase the representation in points when surfaces are rendered.

Ztreem
11-01-2014, 03:11 PM
one boring part of making the cad style rendering..in lightwave, poor edge rendered results, in curved or cicular edges...since it isnīt true cad elements ..which by themself in their true cad environment will generate absolutly smooth edges, but in lightwave where a cylinder or circle in lightwave will be edgy due to often low poly representation...so a cad extracted drawing will look better and smoother when done in a cad software, unless you remesh or adapt the objects to be subdivision surfaces or increase the representation in points when surfaces are rendered.

If you know how close you gonna get when render you can adjust the mesh resolution so it looks nice and round. Heavy meshes isn't that big of a problem these days. ( even if LW isn't the best of handling them).

prometheus
11-01-2014, 04:21 PM
If you know how close you gonna get when render you can adjust the mesh resolution so it looks nice and round. Heavy meshes isn't that big of a problem these days. ( even if LW isn't the best of handling them).

yeah..but simply subdivide it wont work, you cant subdivide with facet, too smooth it out you have to use metaform, so you first need to triple it and then subdiv, and apart from that also add edge loop to keep
the rest of the elements in their state, otherwise metaform would smooth out everything. itīs in my opinion a tedious process. cad solids are resolution independent and you simply add your cad models to the drawing schematics and it is finished.
With a lot of parts I think it would be tedious to work in lightwave this way.

It all depends on what the original is made in though, if it is from original cad, the best is to simply use that original cad to make the renders, if you have created the elements in lightwave..you could of course
pre-plan it better.

Ztreem
11-01-2014, 04:32 PM
yeah..but simply subdivide it wont work, you cant subdivide with facet, too smooth it out you have to use metaform, so you first need to triple it and then subdiv, if there is more polygons than quads...itīs in my opinion a tedious process. cad solids are resolution independent and you simply add your cad models to the drawing schematics and it is finished.
With a lot of parts I think it would be tedious to work in lightwave this way.

It all depends on what the original is made in though, if it is from original cad, the best is to simply use that original cad to make the renders, if you have created the elements in lightwave..you could of course
pre-plan it better.

Of course it would be easier if we could use the solid/ nurbs data as it is, but not many 3d animation packages do so. I usually do my setup in rhino for my cad data and export as obj. Then in lightwave if I need more polys I just re-export it from rhino with higher settings and do a replace in layout.

Edit: If I would need an exploded view I would do that in ProE or Rhino and then export the exploded object as a obj.

prometheus
11-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Of course it would be easier if we could use the solid/ nurbs data as it is, but not many 3d animation packages do so. I usually do my setup in rhino for my cad data and export as obj. Then in lightwave if I need more polys I just re-export it from rhino with higher settings and do a replace in layout.

yes if you got access to rhino or moi, fine...but then again ..why not render it there without comprimizing quality if you only want that sort of cad drawing, if you aim for animation..then it is a different story.
It is still additionall rebuilding processes needed when converting apart from actally have acess to the program, so I think if lightwave could get solid support (probably wonīt happen for ages) or nurbs..well that is around the corner with lwcad....it would be a very welcomed addition, Im not sure if the sldasm import in modo retains itīs format so you could render just that without converting to polys, or infact it just converts to polys..I think I tested it some time ago but canīt recall.

Michael

Ztreem
11-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Rendering i rhino sucks. Then you need to buy maxwell, keyshot or vray. At work we have both maxwell and keyshot but I prefer rendering in Lightwave. It's usually faster and a much nicer workflow. Keyshot can render nurbs surfaces all others convert to polys at rendertime. I do the tesselation in rhino and setup materials just as I have to do if I go to Cinema, Maxwell or Keyshot.

prometheus
11-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Rendering i rhino sucks. Then you need to buy maxwell, keyshot or vray. At work we have both maxwell and keyshot but I prefer rendering in Lightwave. It's usually faster and a much nicer workflow. Keyshot can render nurbs surfaces all others convert to polys at rendertime. I do the tesselation in rhino and setup materials just as I have to do if I go to Cinema, Maxwell or Keyshot.

yeah..of course, I did renderings of gymmachines from solidworks throught deep exploration and then rendering in lightwave, but that was aimed for product shots, not outline drawing renderings, which you simply can do within cad software, using the cad data to render realistic stuff is a different matter, and as such rhino and solidworks wonīt be ideal.
so the question is if you want high level of detailed cad drawings rendered with nice completly smoothed outline edges, or if you need it to render the stuff realisticly without very distinct edge outlines...and as such lightwave will do fine.

inkpen3d
11-02-2014, 10:17 AM
By the way, generally in modeler there is explode to parts within the fracture tool...but a little hidden is in fact a single explode to parts tool, go to edit menu, searc for explode...and you will find explode to parts, drag that to the multiply menu under the other fracture tools and you can use that to explode all unconnected geometry without actually destroying them or fracture them, then just use that as a morph in layout or save morph to base geometry for still rendering.

I actually didnīt know about it until now..and I thought the lw team must have been smart to implement such tool without fracture, but have hidden it from us to check how smart we are..so I figure I would search for explode, and voila...there it was.

Michael.

That is so useful and, as you say, so deeply buried that you have to conclude the development team have a warped sense of humour!

Many thanks Michael!

jesblood
11-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Hey guys again thank you so very much for all the invaluable info!

Does anyone on here know how much LWCAD costs? I've visited there site and dear God there's so much detailed information on the subject I feel like it'll take a month to dig through it all and I'm on a time limit. Could someone please let me know? And whether its a one time license fee or a recurring one? Thanks!

ernpchan
11-02-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm assuming your profile is correct and you're in the USA.
http://www.sharbor.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?manufacturer[]=117
This plugin doesn't use a subscription model. LightWave itself doesn't work based on subscription and I have yet to see a 3rd party plugin work that way as well.

jesblood
11-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Oh gosh I'm a total moron!!!!!!!! Sorry I clicked on the wrong link on the LW 3D Third Party Plugins feature page on the main Newtek site. Geez guys so sorry for being a total dip on this! I clicked on the http://www.okino.com/ link.

Sorry all. And thanks ernpchan for the link and the info. Really appreciate the save there!