PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about upgrading to LW 11.6...

Chrizto
10-30-2014, 06:47 PM
Hi there.

I'm one of those slow movers. I don't like change.
Seriously, I hate to feel that the world has changed under my feet.

So, I'm still using LW 9.6.

What's the biggest new things you can do in 11, that you can't do in 9.6?
I still feel that 9 works fine and stable.

What I'm thinking is that it's important to support Newtek and get the upgrade.
In the earlier days Newtek gave out their updates for free for many years.

How is Newtek doing these days financially?
I hope that LW won't die, even if it's not as "hot" as it was some years ago.

I like that LW still stands on its feet and that it hasn't been bought by some giant with no good intentions.

Keep the guards up Newtek!
:lwicon:

Nicolas Jordan
10-30-2014, 08:25 PM
9.6 is pretty good but I would say VPR and native instancing are both worth the upgrade for me. There are many new features but it will vary how important they are to you depending on what you use Lightwave for. Check out the Lightwave 3D Group Youtube channel to see videos showing the new features https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D/featured

lightscape
10-30-2014, 09:17 PM
If you're using windows 7 or later, lightwave 9 will freeze and crash when opening tabs with lists. That alone is reason I can't go back to lightwave 9. They fixed that in lightwave 10 I think.
Lightwave 11 is generally faster when animating in layout especially with deformations and renderer is atleast three times faster with unified render engine and it can compete with kray, octane, vray now imho. The crucial thing missing is micropoly displacements.
Don't expect much from modeller.

ernpchan
10-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Check out the Lightwave 3D Group Youtube channel to see videos showing the new features https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D/featured

These features are only what's available in the current release of 11. The 11 series isn't done yet so there's even more on the horizon.

prometheus
10-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Hands down VPR....of course if you have fprime you can get away with a lot of that, but using vpr for volumetrics is much better.

Then I would say instancing, and The bullet engine.
Flocking isnīt one of my favourites in terms of how it is implemented and working.

Snosrap
10-30-2014, 10:09 PM
And a ton of little things. It's just way better than the 9 series. Modeler hasn't changed much, but there has been a lot of little things to still make it worth it.

CaptainMarlowe
10-31-2014, 12:15 AM
As said before, there are a lot of little improvements. If you happen to be on Mac, LW is very robust to me. VPR is great, but also bullet, instancing. I also found a lot of valuable use in flocking and quick genoma rigging.

prometheus
10-31-2014, 01:48 AM
Hi there.

he...I am not keen on change either, but evolution tells us that those who adapt and do it fast and well, will survive with success :) otherwise I am what it says in my avatar...a Retrograder like benjamin button :)

how is Newtek financially? I wonder too, here in sweden we have some sites like "allcompanies.com" roughly translated though that is probably not a valid com adress, maybe itīs similar to www.hoovers.com ?
from the swedish version you could search a companie and find out about itīs chairman, what other post they have, the revenue and financial solidity, assets, employees and much more.
I do not know if such information can be found out about newtek though?

11.6 is by far much more enjoyable than lw 9.6, so a retrograde to 9.6 isnīt on my mind here, though it is probably going in the right direction, it takes a lot of time for them to implement stuff and it feels like they are behind the luxology team in some aspects, then again lightwave seems to be more stable and also more capable to handle large amount of certain data better, but that is only what I have heard.

I would say try the demo out, and maybe try demos of it together with octane demos if you can, and also check HDR light studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95IvP-AyO30 ....and decide from that, if you feel so impressed by it, go for it...otherwise wait a little while and see what lw 12 brings,

Chrizto
10-31-2014, 04:16 AM
I'm upgrading my OS these days to Windows 8.1 and I suppose LW 11 runs smoother on it than 9.6 does.
I'm using the demo license today, and I notice some of those smaller things that gets mentioned, like better selection tools (and shortcuts) and the VPR looks very nice.
I'm sure I'll notice more stuff before the demo runs out.

I use LW for projects more or less end-to-end (+ZBrush and PS), so there's alot to get used to I suppose, but hopefully for the better. ;-)

This forum alone is a good reason to keep using LW! Keep it up people. :yoda:

BeeVee
10-31-2014, 04:33 AM
Hej Chrizto,

One of the major advances of LightWave 10 and 11 over Is the color workflow. If your work is intended for screen, you can use sRGB to make sure the lighting in your scene works better without needing to force it.

B

motivalex
10-31-2014, 04:38 AM
I ignored version 10 as that was a joke apart for VPR being introduced. However 11.6 in comparison to 9.6 is a major update and improvement. Well worth the upgrade. 11.5 on release kept me a Lightwave user, though I also use another 3d software for certain stuff. I don't think Lightwave 12 will be released for at least another 12 months at the earliest (a educated guess and I could be wrong). Though a rumoured 11.7 (another free update) may show it's head within the next few months. That's just hearsay though. I use Lightwave 11.6 on a PC and iMac (very stable so far). I say 'Go for it!'

Or wait another year or two for LW12 :)

ernpchan
10-31-2014, 05:53 AM

NewTek is fine financially I'm sure. Tricaster is their cash cow. They just released the Tricaster Mini which I've heard is doing very well. I think you're question is really meant to say "How is LightWave doing financially for NewTek?". That I don't think anybody really knows. But a lot has gone into 11 and they're still working very hard. Bottom line is if you like what's in there and you can afford, go for it. Plus it's not like they're subscription based. You don't have to keep paying to keep your software live if you find yourself not using it as much.

Lewis
10-31-2014, 07:06 AM
11.X is so more advanced and feature packed than 9.6 that's it not even comparable :). 'cmon , upgrade, you know you want it ;). Seriously it's so many features/fixes/tools/workflow boosters.... that's not even comparable to 9.6

jboudreau
10-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi there.

So, I'm still using LW 9.6.

What's the biggest new things you can do in 11, that you can't do in 9.6?
I still feel that 9 works fine and stable.

What I'm thinking is that it's important to support Newtek and get the upgrade.
In the earlier days Newtek gave out their updates for free for many years.

I like that LW still stands on its feet and that it hasn't been bought by some giant with no good intentions.

Keep the guards up Newtek!

Hi

I just sent you a private message, This should give you everything you need to see the changes from 9.6 to 11.6. Like everyone else here says there is no comparison.

There are also some great upgrade options on this page https://www.lightwave3d.com/lightwave_octane_promo/

I think once you see all what 11.6 has to offer it will be an easy decision for you

Jason

Hope this helps
Jason

Paul_Boland
10-31-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm a Lightwave 10 user and I have to agree, the VPR mode in Layout is absolutely awesome!! But just to add a pause for thought... I want to upgrade and get my hands on the physics stuff but I'm hesitant to do so for the following reason...

LW3DG have been TOTALLY SILENT since they took over Lightwave development and my concern is, if I upgrade to Lightwave 11.6 today, I'll come here tomorrow and see news that Lightwave 12 is on the way! So I'm holding back and am going to stick with 10 till 12 arrives unless something truly awesome arrives in 11 that I must have. But I have a feeling Lightwave 12 could be in development since LW3DG have been so quiet. Would really be nice to hear from LW3DG once in a while...

Paul_Boland
10-31-2014, 10:48 AM
These features are only what's available in the current release of 11. The 11 series isn't done yet so there's even more on the horizon.

I'm not sure about that. LG3DG need to make money to survive and releasing a new 11.x point upgrade for free doesn't achieve that. Considering they have been silent for so long, and I assume they are working on Lightwave, all that work and time has to pay off so I think 11 is over and the next release will be a full release of Lightwave 12. Would be nice to get some word from LW3DG on what exactly they are doing!?!

Lewis
10-31-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure about that. LG3DG need to make money to survive and releasing a new 11.x point upgrade for free doesn't achieve that.

Well it still can, 11.X can bring them more money if they convince people like you and other that it's time to upgrade from 9.x and 10.x series to 11.x ;). So in a way if everoyne (or most) upgrade that will only make LW 12 better since they will have more resources for developing it when time comes ;).

Chrizto
10-31-2014, 11:15 AM
But when did the most significant changes to Modeler happen? Was that v10 or v11 or even 11.x?
Just curious because I'm looking for some tutorials on the new Modeler features...

Lewis
10-31-2014, 11:23 AM
But when did the most significant changes to Modeler happen? Was that v10 or v11 or even 11.x?
Just curious because I'm looking for some tutorials on the new Modeler features...

we got some new modeling tools in 11.5

jboudreau
10-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Hi

Check out this video. It demonstrates the new Transform tool in modeler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPIwySOil2s

Dan Ablan has a great video too "LightWave 11.5 "Up To Speed"

http://www.3dgarage.com/collections/newtek-lightwave-3d/products/lightwave-11-5-up-to-speed

This is a great thread too with all kinds of videos showing the new features in 11.5/11.6

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14809

Hope this helps
Jason

Chrizto
10-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the tutorial links!
What I furiously keep noticing is that Modeler crashes way too often. I'm running Win 8.1, is LW certified to run on that? It's when I use the modeler tools in (obscure) ways when testing things out that Modeler suddenly decides to go to Epic Fail Mode...

jboudreau
10-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi

Lightwave 10 brought the following to modeler

EDGE TOOLS:

Split Ring
Copy Edges
Dissolve Loop
Edge 2 Poly
Weld Edges
Weld Ring
Sel Open Edge
Sel Edge Border
Border Slice
Border Slice Quad
Edge Walk
Extend Edges
Loop 2 Poly

Lightwave 11 - 11.6 brought the following to modeler:

Transform Tools
Transform
Tweak
Axis Translate
Axis Rotate
Axis Scale
Align
Edit Edges
Thicken
Line Pen
Slice
Chamfer
Straighten
Pick Surface
Change Action Center
Heat Shrink
Place Mesh
ABF UV Unwrap
Select by Normal

Help text - Whichever viewport your mouse is over now has the possibility of having a help text floating over it. This feature can be turned on or off in the Numeric panel and the state is remembered between tools.

Render Modes - A high-polygon mesh can slow Modeler’s performance, but the new Render Mode choice sidesteps the problem and offers more fluid viewport updates even for high resolution meshes. There are three choices of Render Mode:

• Normal - Modeler’s standard speed of redraw.

• Fast Preview - Fast Preview attempts to do everything that Modeler’s mesh system can do, only faster. The set of behaviors replicated in Fast Preview is not yet complete, but as new functions are added tools will automatically gain access to them.

• Fast Deformation - The fast deformation mode bypasses dealing with smoothing angles and surfaces. For organic modeling where smoothing angle isn’t so important, you can get something on the order of a 3x or 4x speed boost compared to fast preview, which is fast already.

• Uniform Input Handling - Where appropriate, all new tools can use either two clicks to select either end of a line, or a click-drag motion. This makes manipulating the view of your object while using a tool possible. Shift constrains the line to the normal of the polygon you have initially clicked on.

• Snapping - Snapping to various elements is available to all the new tools where appropriate. The snaps panel overlay in the viewport allows the user to enable or disable snapping to the following items.

• Pre-selection highlighting - All of the new tools share pre-selection highlighting where it make sense. This makes it much easier to see whether your click will select a point, edge or polygon.

• Nudging - Depending on the tool chosen you can nudge using buttons in the numeric panel, or the keyboard cursor keys for Up, Down, Left, Right and Page Up, Page Down keys for in and out. In the Numeric panel you can also change the Nudge amount.

Hope this helps
Jason

jboudreau
10-31-2014, 01:18 PM
What I furiously keep noticing is that Modeler crashes way too often. I'm running Win 8.1, is LW certified to run on that? It's when I use the modeler tools in (obscure) ways when testing things out that Modeler suddenly decides to go to Epic Fail Mode...

Hi

I'm not on windows 8.1, I still use windows 7 and modeler is very stable here. Usually the crashes are because of your config files. Since you now have lightwave 9.6 and 11.6 sometimes the configs can get messed up and cause all kinds of issues. If you go to your C:\Users\Yourname\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.3 and delete everything in there and run modeler and layout again that should fix your crashing issues.

To prevent this from happening you have to set your lightwave.exe and your modeler.exe shortcuts to use custom configs.

Here is a link how to do this

http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Optimising_configs

Also sometimes disabling the Hub can help which can sometimes cause issues on peoples machines. The link below shows you how, Go under the Question "How do I disable the Hub for LightWave and Modeler?"

http://www.newtek.com/support/overview/274-lightwave-3d-tips-a-tricks.html

Hope this helps
Jason

Snosrap
10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure about that. LG3DG need to make money to survive and releasing a new 11.x point upgrade for free doesn't achieve that. Considering they have been silent for so long, and I assume they are working on Lightwave, all that work and time has to pay off so I think 11 is over and the next release will be a full release of Lightwave 12. Would be nice to get some word from LW3DG on what exactly they are doing!?! I'm not so sure 11.7 will be free for any of us. True - point upgrades in the past have been, but this is a new Newtek. I think we'll find out shortly as 11/7/2014 is only a few days off. :)

CaptainMarlowe
10-31-2014, 03:25 PM
How can we be sure there will be a 11.7 ? I don't recall any official announcement about it, and the only "proof" of a 11.7 was a screen grab from Lino's computer in a tutorial... where there was also a LW12 folder. So who really knows ?

Paul_Boland
10-31-2014, 07:00 PM
I'm not so sure 11.7 will be free for any of us. True - point upgrades in the past have been, but this is a new Newtek. I think we'll find out shortly as 11/7/2014 is only a few days off. :)

Sorry if I missed this but what is happening on the 7th November?

Nicolas Jordan
10-31-2014, 07:18 PM
I think it's been to long since 11.6 for the next version to be 11.7. If something is announced soon I think it will be 11.9 if it's an update for the 11 cycle or will be a paid update to version 12. I'm guessing it will be 12 and whatever was in 11.7 was just rolled into 12.

Snosrap
10-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Sorry if I missed this but what is happening on the 7th November? 11/7 = the day 11.7 is released. :)

lightscape
10-31-2014, 09:36 PM

You're using lightwave 9 on windows 8? Or you got lightwave 11 already? Lightwave 9 will crash often in windows newer than vista.

Chrizto
11-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Wow! Nicely ordered list of features.
I'm using the trial of 11.6.x on Windows 8.1. Crashes rather frequently.

prometheus
11-01-2014, 06:54 AM

never jump on to new windows versions until they been out there for a while:D :D
still on windows 7 here, not that much of modeler crashes...but depends on, if I use it to switch between modeler an layout, there often can be crashes, but not particulary much in modeler alone, now I am by the way using 11.6.2 mostly now..so it may in fact be 11.6.3 instability as well.

Michael

Nicolas Jordan
11-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Lightwave 11.6.3 crashes very rarely for me on Windows 8.1 and seems very stable. If you haven't already be sure to redirect your config files. http://lightwiki.com/wiki/Optimising_configs