PDA

View Full Version : Amazing way to texture: DDO Quixel

Danner
10-30-2014, 03:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyJJAp17K-Y&feature=youtu.be

stiff paper
10-30-2014, 05:49 AM
The previous versions of dDo and nDo, referred to as "Legacy" versions are available to download for FREE (!) at the Quixel site:
http://quixel.se/ddo
http://quixel.se/ndo
Right at the bottom of the page: "Get Legacy dDo". Same for nDo.

Their YouTube channel has plenty of examples and tutorials using the Legacy versions:
http://www.youtube.com/user/quixelteddy/videos

Material color maps in LightWave:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144153-Quixel-suite-color-code-map

Sensei
10-30-2014, 09:45 AM
Amazing way to texture

Watched whole video, and I see nothing that can't be done with LW Node Editor with much higher flexibility due to using nodal tree instead of layers.. He simply has ready materials preset library.

He started from color map where each color represented separate material.
So in LW use Gradient node, plug map with gray shades to Input, expose Show Outputs.
Take material from preset, pass through Flatten Material and plug to Gradient's color, repeat as many times as there is materials. Then plug output from Gradient to Diffuse Shading.
Eventually the same effect can be received using Material's Multi Switcher.

stiff paper
10-30-2014, 10:40 AM
For pre-rendered work (as opposed to in-game work) the old (Legacy) version of dDo is, for now at least, more interesting and useful. Its way of creating textures is quite different:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuVzQKJjKVo&list=UUNTZFGRsyqNtvI4T2syNkIw
It does do a number of things very quickly that would involve painting many maps in Photoshop.

The latest "Quixel Suite" version of dDo is all about making surfaces from physically scanned materials, surfaces that'll work with the newest kind of in-game lighting. It might become a lot more interesting for pre-rendered work once it's a bit more complete, but for now... meh.

djwaterman
10-30-2014, 10:41 AM
That's great if those free versions are working and free, I demo'd Ndo earlier this year and had some problems with it, but I'll try it again now that it's free and see if I have better luck. I guess I'll have to investigate Sensei's advice as well.

stiff paper
10-30-2014, 10:55 AM
That's great if those free versions are working and free

Yes. I'd have to use my old XP box if I wanted to use the Legacy nDo. It simply won't work at all on my current Win7 machine, and as the free version is legacy now I guess it never will.

dDo does work on my Win7 box, though. (And if you get your normal map from a ZBrush sculpt you won't need nDo?)

Surrealist.
10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Watched whole video, and I see nothing that can't be done with LW Node Editor with much higher flexibility due to using nodal tree instead of layers.. He simply has ready materials preset library.

dDo is not a material generator. It is a texture/image map generator for pipelines that require maps for diffuse, specular, normal, gloss etc. These are two entirely different things.

That you can do all of these wonderful things in the NE does not negate in any way what this program is designed for. No 3D content creation tool can replace these kinds of tools and what they do. Substance Designer is a node based equivalent (more or less) of dDo.

These kinds of apps simplify and greatly speed the process of map creation. Trying to do that in an app such as LightWave XSI or Maya would completely slow down the process - at best - if not be entirely impossible as you'd also have to bake the results somehow to images.

The reason you generate maps (and to do this instantaneously by exporting and have all of your editing and changes/masking/ propogate over the maps) is a large part of what these programs bring to the table.

You then bring these maps into a game engine or 3D content creation tool and then assign and do you magic with materials. They are completely different parts of the pipeline.

And another main advantage of this pipeline is no dependence on material attributes to set values of reflection etc. Game pipelines use this quite a bit. The image maps themselves set the levels based on the texture. So it handles two things at once.

You can also use this within a material pipeline to enhance and greatly simplify the process.

In short. Pick up a copy yourself and get beyond watching some videos before you start assuming you can "do all of this in LightWave". You can't.

3djock
10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
You hit that right on the head Surrealist..

jasonwestmas
10-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Clearly Lightwave, Modo Maya, Max etc are not image editors while substance designer and dDo are. They also allow you to mix in procedural capabilities and view your UV Texture maps all at once on a Shaded Model as you edit and paint.

stiff paper
10-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Substance Designer is a node based equivalent (more or less) of dDo.
You know, Substance Designer just doesn't seem to do the same thing to me, at all. Yes, I know that the overall "thing" they both do is kind of the same, but what I like most about dDo (Legacy, not Suite) is the way it handles where it lays down detail on edges and in crevices. Now, that might be because it does it in a very similar way to how I think about it when I do it by hand, but still, I've never seen anybody get that same kind of detail placement from SD. Detail that just feels right, somehow.

Having said that, Quixel Suite doesn't seem to do it the same any more either. Pah.

dDo is not a... [snipsnip] ...You can't.
And here I was being all polite an' laid back an' stuff. Heh.

jasonwestmas
10-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Substance painter (which is meant to be used with substance designer) is the closest thing Allegorithmic has to dDo normal mapping. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages between the two.

djwaterman
10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Surely the Quixel Suite would be better than the legacy versions?

djwaterman
10-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Are you sure those legacy versions are free? I just opened it up and it asks for a serial number?

Surrealist.
10-30-2014, 04:39 PM
The suite versions do things differently. Actually it is more sophisticated. They are attempting to simplify and also give you more control. You can do all of the things, but they put all of those controls in your hands rather than leaving it totally automated. For some things I like the automation. For that I leave the legacy version installed. For other things I like to build it up in layers. And I like how in the suite versions they give it to you in layers also within the suite window and these update as you rename the PS layers. It also works much better when adding other elements like labels and decals and so on or even image textures into the process. You can do this with legacy, but the suite version makes it easier and more direct in my opinion.

I like the way the suite version is set up. I like how they give more control. You can create all of the effects you can in legacy but you have to spend some time figuring out how to construct your favorite presets. I thought I saw a "use lagacy materials" someplace in the interface, but later could not find it. So it could be you can still use some of the legacy presets if you want.

I also like the fact that in the suite it actually makes a PS file for each kind of map. I think this is better than stacking it all up in one PS file.

bazsa73
10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Surely the Quixel Suite would be better than the legacy versions?
I am one hundred percent positive as you say in english speaking countries that the new suite is MUCH, and when I say MUCH, I mean
a WHOLE lot more better than that legacy crap mister. Yeah, that's my 2 cents. Where is me banjo gituarre...

stiff paper
10-30-2014, 04:56 PM
Are you sure those legacy versions are free? I just opened it up and it asks for a serial number?

Really?!? I don't remember anything weird happening when I installed it on my Win7 box... but then I don't really remember installing it as such... because... uh... nothing odd happened...

The version I have starts up as "v5.3 x64 Commercial Edition" and "A free tool by Quixel".

I don't have any suggestions. Other than to ask, annoyingly, whether you're really, completely certain you grabbed the legacy one?

stiff paper
10-30-2014, 05:05 PM
I am one hundred percent positive...

Tsk! It doesn't give the same results. Even Surrealist up there admits he keeps the legacy version installed for when he wants "the thing" that the legacy version does that the Suite version doesn't. Nobody said the legacy version is objectively "better"... just that it's possibly more useful if what you're doing is pre-rendered work in a 3D package rather than specifically work for games.

And, anyway, at this point I will just say, again, because nobody seems to have bothered trying it...

THERE IS A FREE PIECE OF SOFTWARE FOR GENERATING PRETTY GOOD TEXTURES.

All you people have already bought Quixel Suite. Pointing out the free legacy version doesn't apply to you. You're special like that.

What's wrong with everybody? Why aren't they going grabbing free stuff?

pinkmouse
10-30-2014, 05:12 PM
...What's wrong with everybody? Why aren't they going grabbing free stuff?

'Cos it doesn't run on Macs? :D

Surrealist.
10-30-2014, 06:37 PM
'Cos it doesn't run on Macs? :D

SD does. :)

http://www.allegorithmic.com/download

spherical
10-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes. I'd have to use my old XP box if I wanted to use the Legacy nDo. It simply won't work at all on my current Win7 machine, and as the free version is legacy now I guess it never will.

Runs on my Win8.1 box.

Really?!? I don't remember anything weird happening when I installed it on my Win7 box... but then I don't really remember installing it as such... because... uh... nothing odd happened...

The version I have starts up as "v5.3 x64 Commercial Edition" and "A free tool by Quixel".

I don't have any suggestions. Other than to ask, annoyingly, whether you're really, completely certain you grabbed the legacy one?

dDo says that. nDo is either Enter Serial or Continue Trial.

djwaterman
10-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Mine (nDo) comes up with "Trial expired, now go grab your licence".

djwaterman
10-31-2014, 02:09 AM
I think you'll find that only dDo legacy is free. What's the cost of nDo legacy? I can't find that info on their site.

pinkmouse
10-31-2014, 02:45 AM
SD does. :)

Yup, and I have B2M already, but it's not free, and that's the point I was making. :)

stiff paper
10-31-2014, 03:55 AM
I think you'll find that only dDo legacy is free.

Ahh. Damn. Sorry. nDo Legacy won't even install on my Win7 box, it immediately bails with missing dll errors.

I have made an assumption and it has made an a$s out of... well... just me, really.

Surrealist.
10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Yup, and I have B2M already, but it's not free, and that's the point I was making. :)

Yeah sure. But I think actually SD is better than dDo anyway. The node based approach as opposed to a Photoshop layer approach. This opens up a ton of possibilities you don't get with dDo. I have only played with it slightly, but already it saves some steps by actually making some of the input maps such as normal and ao for you.

You can get an indie version for fairly cheep. Availability in a mac maght make it something worth looking into.

lightscape
11-01-2014, 08:12 PM
3dcoat will also have something similar to ddo and sd for weathering effects, etc.
Andrew said this is realtime viewport render.

http://3d-coat.com/files/screen/141447823690.jpg
http://3d-coat.com/files/screen/141447799605.jpg

CaptainMarlowe
11-02-2014, 04:26 AM
In my experience (I am on Mac), 3D-Coat is not on par with SD and SP for a lot of final effects. Perhaps in the future.
What I usually did before substance painter was to paint the base coats of my models in 3D-Coat, then finish them in substance designer. But with substance painter, now, I only use 3D-Coat (besides sculpting or retopo, OFC) for UV editing, some 8K textures, or to create base normal maps I will later use in substance designer or painter. The only thing missing right now in substance painter for me to be completely happy are integrated bakers and 3D mouse support.
Otherwise, it's really great, especially for mac users who can't use Quixel tools.

lightscape
11-02-2014, 06:21 AM
I haven't used sd so can't really compare. Ddo is alright for fast effects and its free. Hopefully it still works in future versions of ps.

The 3dcoat approach will be layer based. Maybe he'll add nodes later.
http://3d-coat.com/files/screen/141493297002.jpg

CaptainMarlowe
11-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Next time I guess he'll be adding particle painting... I always had the feeling that Andrew was more keen on adding new features than polishing the existing ones. Right now, PBR + layered effects look to me like he is running after substance painter (which is layered-based as opposed to substance designer). In the end, he will have an application so full of features that it may discourage new users because it will be too complex. No mistake, I do enjoy using 3D-Coat, but I'm wondering if the development is not going too fast and sometimes out of focus. But maybe I'm wrong.

Surrealist.
11-02-2014, 02:14 PM
The thing to keep in mind with any of these workflow solutions is it is not being able to just paint details and automatically follow edges and so on. It is the ability to edit this data and have it automatically propagate through all of the maps. So you edit and export. That's it. The maps all update. Spec. Normal etc. You don't have to go back and update the normals etc.

I am not sure how this is supposed to work in 3D Coat. But for example in Mudbox, sure you can have your various maps on channels and even assign a layer to something like spec. But what these PS and Node based approaches bring to the table is to optimize each map automatically based on the material you are trying to emulate.

For example a spec or gloss map is not just a grey scale version of the rgb. It is further optimized to use scalar values to assign - per material - the level of reflection. spec etc. So one whole portion of the image will be darker or lighter based on this value. And the type of material is even something to you can change. And this too can be updated.

Point being, just bringing auto edge wear and so on to the process is only half the battle.

If you are going to just come back into something like LightWave and assign materials based on portions of the surface, ( which you may have done before going to dDo for example) then you are not as concerned with levels per material. You just need an optimized version of the spec. This also is automatic as is the normal update. So even for this workflow it is faster than having to go back and create your scalar spec map and processing it for use in the spec channel,or then creating a new mormal map with each version of your edit. These are all taken care of automatically. To me this is one of the key time savers.

lightscape
11-02-2014, 09:47 PM
That's where the huge pbr update will come in for 3dcoat. It will support metallic or reflectance surfacing. :thumbsup:

erikals
11-03-2014, 12:14 PM
are these 3DCoat textures auto-generated?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7j8rxsdds8szyzr/AAB3V_2Jdv6hBpgGtQk4Bpk_a#/

if so, fabulous!! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

Surrealist.
11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
By the way, I just got the suite installed (again) but now licensed . I have used it in the beta and trial version. But I was very delighted to hear that my upgrade from dDo to the suite was completely free. Same serial number. So I have them both installed and working side by side. Such a deal!

unstable
11-07-2014, 06:31 PM
I thought this software looked great. I downloaded it and installed it without a problem. Clicked on the 3DO icon and it said an error occurred loading something. So I closed the error message and the sphere displayed. I clicked on Ndo and received a laundry list of error messages with the annotation that its restarting. Every time I closed the error message, it would reappear like the old popup web pages when the Internet first became popular. The only way I could make the error messages go away was to close photoshop. Thank god I created a system restore point before installing. I did system restore and things are good now with Quixel completely uninstalled. Its a shame too because it looks real nice. I just get tired of crappy programming that doesn't deliver a professional product. Their forums have lists of bad outcomes, which is why I chose to create a restore point before installing. Good luck with yours.

Surrealist.
11-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Tried the support forums or their customer support?

I have had no issues myself. But just from your description it could be related to graphics card. At any rate I think sorting it out with them directly would be the way to go. There are any number of things it could be.