PDA

View Full Version : Article on my work!

Philbert
10-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Time to brag! This site did an article on my 3D printed work. Some of which was done in LightWave of course. Though he seems to think me obsessed with anime. lol

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/10/28/3d-modeler-phil-nolan-shapeways/

Megalodon2.0
10-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Congratulations!

Nice article, but too short. ;)

shrox
10-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Cool!

prometheus
10-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Congratulations Phil...I wonder, you havenīt used topmod anything for sculptures? and have you gotten hold of 3drd powers tools, which I think would be very useful in the modeling process where sculpture is in mind?

On my personal point of view, I am perhaps not liking the stencil cuts in to sculptures in general, depends on what type of figure it is, I prefer more weight in a sculpture so to speak, but itīs just my opinion about it, it sure is interesting though to see how you do it etc.

Michael

Philbert
11-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Congratulations Phil...I wonder, you havenīt used topmod anything for sculptures? and have you gotten hold of 3drd powers tools, which I think would be very useful in the modeling process where sculpture is in mind?

On my personal point of view, I am perhaps not liking the stencil cuts in to sculptures in general, depends on what type of figure it is, I prefer more weight in a sculpture so to speak, but itīs just my opinion about it, it sure is interesting though to see how you do it etc.

Michael

Hey, sorry I missed these replies. I don't know what topmod or 3drd are. (Is that a typo?) I've been pretty happy with sculpting in 3D-Coat The original idea for making such thin models is that Shapeways charges based on the amount of material used, so I thought about how to make a sculpture as cheaply as possible while still showing the form.

GandB
11-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Congratulations Phil!

bazsa73
11-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Nice one Phil! Congratulations!

prometheus
11-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Hey, sorry I missed these replies. I don't know what topmod or 3drd are. (Is that a typo?) I've been pretty happy with sculpting in 3D-Coat The original idea for making such thin models is that Shapeways charges based on the amount of material used, so I thought about how to make a sculpture as cheaply as possible while still showing the form.

topmod is a free remeshing tool ..you could import some lightwave stuff and do tweaks cut holes adding weird extrudes etc, is probably handy if you want some nice organic looking structures to 3d print..
topod imports and exports obj....
https://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1079&q=topmod&oq=topmod&gs_l=img.3..0j0i10l2j0l6j0i10i24.1122.2216.0.2496. 6.6.0.0.0.0.96.563.6.6.0.msedrc...0...1ac.1.58.img ..0.6.558.VSp9IxlLpNY

Download...also check topmod on youtube...
https://code.google.com/p/topmod/

I recently...actually yesterday downloaded the free wings3d modeler, which has some very nice workflow to work on similar organic structures, some stuff I really would like to have in lightwave modeler, the selection options and workflow, select identical..and much much more that flows more easier when modeling than in lightwave modeler...then again it doesnīt have the huge amount of toolset lightwave has, and it isnīt ideal to work with for certain model types either...which would be better to modell in lightwave.
Wings are also free...
check this vid tutorial, to see some of the workflow...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eWB3KXBuUA&google_comment_id=z131tfujjmvxtfugi04cgrajuuqptfbb xak

Download free wings3d here....
http://www.wings3d.com/?page_id=84

I am looking for a way to create meshes based on the simplest skelegon structure possible, so I have been messing with simple polylines, and extracting a mesh from them with metaedges and then freezing and remeshing to quads, but itīs not ideal...whatīs ideal is the way you can edit the simplest wireframe structure to be whatever skelegon structure you want..or wrap around or twist that wireframe without distorting the mesh in unwanted ways...the mesh should just follow and flow along with the base structure.

Philbert
11-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks everyone above!

I'll check out these apps Prometheus!

prometheus
11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks everyone above!

I'll check out these apps Prometheus!

uhmm of course Zbrush is a tool of choice for weird structures too, extracting, parts by simply painting masks over figures, twisting and turning with metapsheres etc..

I was a bit confused with the default UI navigation in wings...should you test it I recommed go to preferences and change to maya navigation...at least I prefer that.

Philbert
11-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Can't Stand zbrush, 3D-Coat gets the job done better.

Davewriter
11-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Sir!
Both are lovely, but Kneeling Woman is... Wow!

Philbert
11-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Sir!
Both are lovely, but Kneeling Woman is... Wow!

Thanks! I sold a couple dozen of them but sadly Shapeways recently changed their pricing and doubled the cost for that one. I suspect my sales will drop off a lot at such a high price.

Slartibartfast
11-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Cool! I mean both your sculptures and the article.