PDA

View Full Version : Batch MDD importer

mummyman
10-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know of a way to batch IMPORT mdd files? Actually, I'm animating in Lightwave and exporting MDD's out to XSI (shudder!!!) I have many objects and can do it one by one, but figured I'd check to see if anyone knew of a script to batch import them into XSI? Thanks GOD for multi baker export in Layout!

Thanks,

Brett

Greenlaw
10-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Under I/O select MDD Multi-Loader. It works great. Just load objects on the right, mdds on left, click Match By and you're done. Normally anyway--the system does make assumptions based on file names. But if the names aren't exactly matching, it can make good guesses too. If auto-matching isn't possible, you can manually click through and match--usually it's not big deal if you already know which file goes with which object. In any case, using MDD Multi-Loader is much faster than applying mdds to each object manually through the object properties panel.

You also have the option to globally apply special settings if you wish, like time offsets, speed adjustments, behaviors, etc.

This system is so quick, I don't bother going through the object panel anymore, not even for scenes with a single object and mdd.

G.

3dworks
10-29-2014, 07:29 PM
is this more reliable than using MD reader in object property?

i did experience that when moving the content folder to a new location, the connection to MDD files is lost, even if all paths are written as relative paths in the LWS and the path is still present inside the MD reader dialog. only difference is that the actual property list info is empty (just MD reader) and of course the objects not longer deformed.

the only way to fix this is to go through all dialogs and relink the MDD files. what a mess.

maybe this mac related - osx here.

3D Kiwi
10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
I dont think there is a way to batch import mdds into XSI. There is the cache manager, if you spit out pc2 files rather than mdds you might be able to get it to work but havent tried.

lightscape
10-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Pointoven. Not free.

3D Kiwi
10-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Pointoven. Not free.

It is in Softimage.. Well it was :-(

mummyman
10-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys! Still checking into it. Using Xsi has been a hassle but slowly getting there. Even if it's one object at a time.

- - - Updated - - -

Under I/O select MDD Multi-Loader. It works great. Just load objects on the right, mdds on left, click Match By and you're done. Normally anyway--the system does make assumptions based on file names. But if the names aren't exactly matching, it can make good guesses too. If auto-matching isn't possible, you can manually click through and match--usually it's not big deal if you already know which file goes with which object. In any case, using MDD Multi-Loader is much faster than applying mdds to each object manually through the object properties panel.

You also have the option to globally apply special settings if you wish, like time offsets, speed adjustments, behaviors, etc.

This system is so quick, I don't bother going through the object panel anymore, not even for scenes with a single object and mdd.

G.

This is in Lightwave? Or Xsi? I use point oven in Xsi. And for particles I use XML files. Thanks!!!!!

Ztreem
10-30-2014, 07:13 AM
This is in Lightwave? Or Xsi? I use point oven in Xsi. And for particles I use XML files. Thanks!!!!!

The MDD multi loader is in Lightwave.

mummyman
10-30-2014, 07:26 AM
The MDD multi loader is in Lightwave.

Cool, regardless if it's not importing into XSI... I rarely use MDD's, but have been for this particular project. I guess it's working out pretty well. Nice to know LW has so many options

Greenlaw
10-30-2014, 07:27 AM
is this more reliable than using MD reader in object property?

The result is an MD Reader on each object. Multi-Loader just facilitates the process by letting you apply correct MDDs to all selected objects at once. Note that using it is a one way street though, meaning, if you didn't do it right, there is no 'undo' and you will need to reload your scene and try again. (Always a good idea to save before running the tool.) That said, if you have a ton of objects to apply mdd data to, Multi-Loader currently the most convenient and efficient way to do this in Lightwave.

i did experience that when moving the content folder to a new location, the connection to MDD files is lost, even if all paths are written as relative paths in the LWS and the path is still present inside the MD reader dialog. only difference is that the actual property list info is empty (just MD reader) and of course the objects not longer deformed.

the only way to fix this is to go through all dialogs and relink the MDD files. what a mess.

maybe this mac related - osx here.

I haven't seen that with MD Reader but I'm on Windows. Normally, the path shouldn't get broken so long as the Content directory doesn't change.

However, I've seen something like that with PFX and Flocking cache files--for some reason, these tools use relative paths which totally breaks on our render farm. I have to manually enter full paths and re-save the files before our farm will render them correctly. I think the issue might be unique to our render controller but I wish LW3DG could make it a choice to consistently enter relative or full paths in Lightwave--at the moment, I think the type of path use is a bit random form one tool to another.

Multi-Loader could speed the issue up reloading all your MDD files. Unfortunately, removing all the broken MD Reader tools will still need to be done manually if you don't have a clean file backup scene to work from. Alternatively, you could probably scan through the file in a text reader and delete the MD Reader entries.

(Wouldn't it be great if somebody wrote an MDD Multi-Remover tool?) :)

G.

Greenlaw
10-30-2014, 07:34 AM
@Mummyman, oh geez, sorry...I was in a hurry to go home and I totally misread your request. As mentioned above, this is a Layout tool. I'm not sure there's an equivalent for XSI.

G.

mummyman
10-30-2014, 07:40 AM
@Mummyman, oh geez, sorry...I was in a hurry to go home and I totally misread your request. As mentioned above, this is a Layout tool. I'm not sure there's an equivalent for XSI.

G.

That's totally fine! I learned something about LW I didn't know it could do! But wow... it's super powerful. Yes, if there was an equivalent in XSI, it'd be nice too. That's how it goes! I'll find the answer AFTER I go through each object 1x1. :)

mummyman
10-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Pointoven. Not free.

Thanks! Yeah, been using Point Oven... gotta do it 1 by 1. But just replacing a number in the list isn't too too bad. Finished about 50 objects in 10 or 20 mins. Grunt work!