PDA

View Full Version : Vue environment competition-results,images and judging comments.

prometheus
10-28-2014, 11:06 AM
So what do you think of them?
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/competition/2014/

a few good ones, the winner is quite good..though I am a little fed up with the avatar style generated rocks.
The second runner up..nice misty mood.

the third runner up is very nice in jungle detail, but showcases so typicly bright saturated vue looks to such extent that it overrides the true beauty of the image otherwise.

you can see how the judges have commented the images.

Michael

3dworks
10-28-2014, 02:35 PM
mah, i agree totally with your comments and i must say, none of the three images really knocks me off. honestly, i've seen a dozen of better terragen images, lately on my facebook feed... not sure if it's the user type which maybe is more photographically oriented for terragen or if it's just the choice of the jury, as i didn't follow the competiton.

it's a pity that terragen still isn't just so well connected to LW via a plugin!

jwiede
10-28-2014, 03:05 PM
mah, i agree totally with your comments and i must say, none of the three images really knocks me off. honestly, i've seen a dozen of better terragen images, lately on my facebook feed... not sure if it's the user type which maybe is more photographically oriented for terragen or if it's just the choice of the jury, as i didn't follow the competiton.

it's a pity that terragen still isn't just so well connected to LW via a plugin!

What would you want in a LW-Terragen plugin (besides Terragen's existing FBXIO support)?

bazsa73
10-28-2014, 04:53 PM
That's the Ha Long bay in Nam. Ask Rambo...

dickbill
10-28-2014, 05:48 PM
What would you want in a LW-Terragen plugin (besides Terragen's existing FBXIO support)?

Terragen would need to do camera and scene matching with LW to compete with Vue. Perhaps it does? I don't have Terragen...

The Vue5 infinite / LW bundle was a good deal. We could build a scene containing LW object or Vue5 textures, updated in real time in either LW or Vue and export it in either software, including with a very nice camera matching. So, even if Vue tended to generate 'flat' output on rendering, the speed advantage for Vue in rendering scenes containing volumetrics , global illumination and many populated object was tremendous. Then it was an easy matter of exporting the scene in LW with camera and lights matching, using the previous Vue output as background, and rendering only certain objects in the foreground in LW. So it was some sort of compositing, but an easy compositing since everything matched between the two software. I don't think it would have been possible for LW alone to render such outdoor scenes, from the distant volumetrics in the background all the way to the nearby objects, in a reasonable time.
That was with LW9.6. Now perhaps LW11 can render an outdoor scene better, but it seems to me that the problem remains. You rarely see scenes containing a 'complete world' rendered in a single software.

I have a question regarding modern versions of Vue (>5): are the population instancing in Vue converted in LW instances as well?

prometheus
10-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Itīs not a question of terragen vs vue renders mainly, you could probably spit out very good stuff from vue today, but I just donīt understand why so many use all premade stuff or donīt care about tweaking the skies or keep on having that uggly high saturation or two much backlighting on trees and grass...and if it isnīt that ...you got two much blue or green fog over the images...or too poorly antialiased.

terragen has some render quality that is better than vue generally, but it is just to slow to work with while tweaking the sky or other elements for that matter, and it non user friendly compared to how vue has implemented stuff.
Ivé been bashing on terragen too much though previously, in the right hands, and for those who can stand working with it and tweaking with it as well as waiting for the renders, the outcome often is the most realistic environments seen.

Michael

kadri
10-28-2014, 08:24 PM
With Terragen it is very easy to have a working outdoor scene very fast and quite ready.
I still struggle to get that kind of quality from Lightwave -so easy- .
I hope to get to the point to have a kind of a preset to have the same level in Lightwave.
This is one of the reason i use more Terragen in the last years then Lightwave.
But beginning with my last project that is in the WIP gallery here i will try to use Lightwave more.
Working with objects is easier in Lightwave obviously for example.
Wish that the two software features would be in one product.

Maybe i should buy Octane?

And Michael you made some progress in that you put this time some smoothing words after your "Terragen is slow" comment :D

prometheus
10-28-2014, 10:29 PM
And Michael you made some progress in that you put this time some smoothing words after your "Terragen is slow" comment :D

haha...yeah right, I knew some of you terragen guys would bark at me otherwise :D

But then again...the end statement is the truth, and that I actually thought it had come cross previously when I discussed everything from lightwave,ozone,vue,ogo taiki and terragen.
Quality wise terragen delivers at a higher peak in many areas...but it isnīt so high that it can justify the slowness of the software.

Cinema4d could be a good choice for landscape scenery, with itīs high level sculpting and micropolydisplacement and some other stuff for skies etc, though you need a big purse for it I reckon.

kadri
10-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Cinema4d is good but the price is too high for me.
And after using Lightwave for so long it is easier to use it together with Terragen for me.

prometheus
10-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Cinema4d is good but the price is too high for me.
And after using Lightwave for so long it is easier to use it together with Terragen for me.

Absolutly agree with that...I do hope we can get better displacement..perhaps micropolydisplacement properly, or pixar subdivs, or octane surface displacement tech, preferably all of it:)
and then it is absolutly vital they invent something new for sky environments or adapt some sort of improved ogo taiki volumetric handler in there...and preferably some sort of sculpting tool to at least sculpt the main shape of the terrain directly in camera viewports.
Those are the big issues...with the upcoming advanced placement tool, that will bridge the gap towards vue plant painting, the rest is just getting a good library of treeīs and better landscape materials, frankly..I havenīt seen much of any decent
landscape material presets, and we could use a lot of it in order to deal with all possible terrain looks.
infinite ground and infinite water planes would be nice too, maybe the lightwave team should gather it and pay Sensei that for his infinite plane..and make it native in lightwave...or simply make their own.

kadri
10-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Those additions would be great. Curious like everybody what they will bring in v12.

prometheus
10-31-2014, 01:55 AM
When I am taking a closer look at the winning entry, I think the foreground is lacking attention, the textures looks weird and not naturalistic, besides...the fog/mist is to heavy and too even...that is quite common though since there are no way of
producing mist with various density depending on height or depth, unless actually using a true volumetric cloud layer..which isnīt the case here, at least vue can add volumetric fog layers blending between the sky and foreground and directly viewable
in viewports unlike the volumetric fog in lightwave..which can not produce a proper blending in the same manner.

Michael

CaptainMarlowe
11-01-2014, 12:07 AM
bout Terragen, there was a script for terrane 2 exporting camera and maybe sun, I don't know if it's still available, but it works with TG3. The .lwo export option from Terragen also works even in the free version, so there are some possibilities of interchange even without going for the expensive full option of TG. I am often very tempted to buy the creative+animation version.