PDA

View Full Version : Objects that render, but don't show up in the viewport???

El Director
10-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm a Blender user, so LW is a little alien to me, but I had a guy give us a Lightwave scene he made. I need to go through and do some camera animation. The problem I'm having, is that everything shows up great when rendered, but in the viewport, some objects are invisible and I can't see where they are when setting up a camera move, without rendering. So I'm constantly shifting the camera, hit F9. Shift the camera, hit F9 - just to see if an object is blocking the frame.

My question is, how do I make an object that renders visible in the main viewport as I'm setting up the scene?

Ryan Roye
10-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Several things, first, if you press the bracket hotkeys, it adjusts the grid size. Lower it until nearby objects are visible. I'll admit this took me a bit of getting used to.

Another note... In the scene editor, setting an object to "Hidden" only hides it from your viewport. You must uncheck "Active" to make the object not be included in rendering. Sometimes, however, you do want parts of the object to be included in your render, like making the sphere unseen by the camera but still leaves shadows. Hit "P" for properties and check the render tab to adjust stuff like this.

for this scenario, just uncheck the object's "A" field property to mark it inactive to the renderer.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/RenderTip.png

El Director
10-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Several things, first, if you press the bracket hotkeys, it adjusts the grid size. Lower it until nearby objects are visible. I'll admit this took me a bit of getting used to.

Another note... In the scene editor, setting an object to "Hidden" only hides it from your viewport. You must uncheck "Active" to make the object not be included in rendering. Sometimes, however, you do want parts of the object to be included in your render, like making the sphere unseen by the camera but still leaves shadows. Hit "P" for properties and check the render tab to adjust stuff like this.

for this scenario, just uncheck the object's "A" field property to mark it inactive to the renderer.

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/RenderTip.png

Thank you so much, the options in the scene editor are a huge help! Another question, can objects be toggled active and hidden over the course of an animation?

Sensei
10-28-2014, 09:43 AM
So I'm constantly shifting the camera, hit F9. Shift the camera, hit F9 - just to see if an object is blocking the frame.

If you have LW 10+, press ctrl-F9 to enable VPR and have real-time renderer while working in LW.. :)

Ryan Roye
10-28-2014, 09:50 AM
If you have LW 10+, press ctrl-F9 to enable VPR and have real-time renderer while working in LW.. :)

This too... oh, and something EVERYONE needs to be made aware of is that shift-clicking an object's surface while in VPR brings up that surface in the surface editor. Uber handy, but easy for new users to miss.

prometheus
10-28-2014, 10:05 AM
in the display settings, fixed near clip distance can mess up things, depending on how the scene is scaled, so if it is checked, try unchecking it..or when checked, go from lowest value and slide it up and see if that helps showcasing the items in the scene.

probably recomend turning it off..and set a proper grid size first that is in relation to some of the closest object sizes.

the very basic is of course to make sure you dont have your viewports set to bounding box :)
also in scene editor ..as mentioned make sure they are not hidden.

JoePoe
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Besides what's been said....
Even if an object is inactive or hidden, if you select it in the current item dropdown you should still get a bounding box for a quick reference as to placement.

....Another question, can objects be toggled active and hidden over the course of an animation?

In Object Properties (the same place chazriker mentioned "unseen by camera") you can envelope Object Dissolve. Just remember to pick the appropriate curve. Stepped will give you the quick on/off.