PDA

View Full Version : Octane Renderer demo?

Paul_Boland
10-27-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi Folks.

Is there a demo of Octane Renderer that we can try out before we buy? I like what I see on the product page for it:
https://www.lightwave3d.com/lightwave_octane_promo/
But I'd like to give it a try before I upgrade to 11.6 + Octane. Actually, I'm hoping to upgrade to 12 but that all depends on when 12 comes out :). Getting back to Octane, what I'm interested in is just how fast it is and how good the results are?

Thanks.

Ryan Roye
10-27-2014, 01:37 PM
Go to the otoy website, hit "downloads", scroll down and you should see a bunch of side tabs that list various 3d applications, choose "lightwave", and click the download link.

The demo is fully functional (just watermarked) and you can even use it to prep content for people who do have a license of Octane, or to work with scenes that use Octane without breaking anything.

Paul_Boland
10-27-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks! Downloading it now :).

BokadCastle
10-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi Folks.

Getting back to Octane, what I'm interested in is just how fast it is and how good the results are?

Thanks.

On my system, the benchmark marbles test took about 13 mins with the resolution as shown.

I think the demo resolution is restricted to quite low, not sure.

Paul_Boland
10-28-2014, 07:44 PM
That's pretty cool, thanks.

Paul_Boland
10-29-2014, 07:49 AM
BokadCastle, out of curiosity, how long would it take the native Lightwave render to do that same image above?

BokadCastle
10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
BokadCastle, out of curiosity, how long would it take the native Lightwave render to do that same image above?

An hour and a half approx using just cpu - so roughly my gpus are 6 times faster.

I remember how disappointed I was on what was then my new computer.
It was instrumental in my decision to buy Octane which I did only last week.

So I'm still learning Octane.

Paul_Boland
10-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks, that's impressive!! After checking out the demo I'm disappointed that it won't render Lightwave's particles. I use these in some of my animations. Kind of a deal killer for me. I'll stick with the Lightwave render which sees everything in Lightwave, even if it is slow.

Ryan Roye
10-29-2014, 07:25 PM
I'm disappointed that it won't render Lightwave's particles. I use these in some of my animations.

You can get around this by using Lightwave's render engine to composite the hypervoxels onto the octane-rendered stills, but I agree it'd be a lot cooler if it was possible directly in Octane.

The upside to this is that you can render LW hypervoxels and the rest of the scene in Octane at the same time and it has no impact on your overall rendering times.

m.d.
10-29-2014, 10:06 PM
You can get around this by using Lightwave's render engine to composite the hypervoxels onto the octane-rendered stills, but I agree it'd be a lot cooler if it was possible directly in Octane.

The upside to this is that you can render LW hypervoxels and the rest of the scene in Octane at the same time and it has no impact on your overall rendering times.

you can do particles with instancing....you are doing the same thing with realflow particles that are not in a mesh
just instance a very low poly sphere to the particle, of course it is still limited....to more basic texturing, and not hypervoxels....sprites are possible however

the foam part of the splash here is simply realflow particles instanced to a small sphere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9F5QEJTpM&list=UUlgnW-K4GUoTLngw2FyRWxA

as far as rendering both at the same time, you would have to use screamernet or something as they both work of the F10 command, not sure there is a way out of that....
my machine could never pull that off either, cause my GPU's suck 1200 or so watts while in full octane usage, and to render 100% on the CPU at the same time would add at least 150-200 watts and push the demand well over what my power supply could handle...

in theory it could work, and shouldn't slow anything down...as long as you have the power

Ryan Roye
10-30-2014, 07:08 AM
as far as rendering both at the same time, you would have to use screamernet or something as they both work of the F10 command, not sure there is a way out of that....

Simply run a 2nd instance of Lightwave specifically for the hypervoxels.

The tricky part in my opinion is syncing up the lighting to work believably with the hypervoxels. Unlike working fully in the Lightwave renderer, you aren't visualizing the rendered environment AND the hypervoxels at the same time, the user is more reliant on openGL previews and comparison of Octane renderings versus Lightwave composites. That said, the instancing approach sounds like a decent alternative when interactive previewing is needed.

I can't comment on workflows that involve network rendering using this approach, I don't know if multiple instances of screamernet can run or not.

m.d.
10-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Simply run a 2nd instance of Lightwave specifically for the hypervoxels.

LOL... never thought of that...low tech approach

Depending on the scene....baking out a cube map from an octane render (6 cameras in a total coverage pattern) and then using that as LW environment map would help a bit in the lighting aspect for the hypervoxels.
But ya when it comes to regular lights....they are totally different beasts, be very tricky to match