PDA

View Full Version : Inverting Alpha when Network Rendering

rdolishny
10-23-2014, 08:47 PM
I've sent a job to an offshore render farm and all of my clip or transparency maps are inverted.

There were a few imagemaps that were TIF files and I remember LW having trouble with those, so I converted them to PNG. Still no luck.

When I render a frame locally: all works.
When I render on my local Amleto render farm: all works.
The offsite farm seems to be flipping clip or transparency maps.

Usually these guys are on the ball but this one's got us all stumped.

Anyone see alpha or clip maps inverting when using a render farm?

ernpchan
10-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Odd, what happens if you send him a scene with the alpha setting reversed?

Can you confirm they're using the same LW version as you?

Sensei
10-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Convert them back to normal - load image sequence to LW, put to background image, and in Image Filter in post processing change what you want to change, and generate new sequence F10.

Thomas Leitner
10-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Hi,
"Invert" in the Image node does not work correct at least in LW 11.5 and LW 11.6. Maybe this causes your problem. See this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143485-node-transparancy-problem-with-xfrog-tree&p=1399304&highlight=#post1399304

ciao
Thomas

rdolishny
10-24-2014, 09:55 AM
I think I was trying to be clever with a PNG with alpha... I cloned the image and told LW to just use the Alpha as the clone. Then, I took that cloned black and white image and used that as a Clip Map as opposed to transparency.

It still didn't work until I blew away that clone, and brought the image into Photoshop. I pulled the matte and save that as a regular old JPG, then use that JPG as my clip map.

More than a few hoops to get my renderfarm to generate images that looked like my VPR/F9 locally, but it worked eventually. I don't think the clip maps support soft edges (they look pretty sharp) but at this point I'll take it.

I hope this helps someone else having troubles with transparency, clip maps, and network rendering.