PDA

View Full Version : Cage and Lattice workflows for Lightwave

Ryan Roye
10-23-2014, 12:24 PM
As usual, I'll let the video do the talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKaO9YvZ17M

You can get this commercial training content here (http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/10/cage-and-lattice-workflows-by-ryan-roye/).

raw-m
10-23-2014, 03:01 PM
That looks very tasty, great choice of topic! Especially interested in Modeler tasks in Layout...

calilifestyle
10-23-2014, 03:04 PM
Damn this look awesome and makes me with i picked up the tools when it was on sale.

jasonwestmas
10-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Looks like a lot of fun Ryan. :)

hrgiger
10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
More good stuff from Ryan.

Ryan Roye
10-23-2014, 04:25 PM
That looks very tasty, great choice of topic! Especially interested in Modeler tasks in Layout...

It's of course not as efficient as a "unified" approach, and I only provide a sample file with in-scene notes in that topic, though I'd be more than happy to put out a freebie that covers it in more detail... I'll see what I can whip up later. Keep in mind that some cagedeformer-related stuff can also be emulated with metalink to some degree; just not nearly with the level of control or interactivity that cagedeformer provides.

The biggest benefit of going through the steps to use modeler operations in layout lies with usage of tools that would be useful to have an animation variant of, such as Heatshrink (the 3rdpowers version allows for wrapping around things completely), displacement with axis alignment for precision, spherize/squarize, etc. Basically, the workflow makes the "Morph Target" function actually useful, because it's easy for a single cage to morph through modified copies of itself.

prometheus
10-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Nice..and it showcases a couple of recent questions regarding animating wind reaction to trees and a snake having itīs breakfast egg:)

ianr
10-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks So Much Ryan, I missed this in the traffic,
as usual nicely shown.

Do you know when their New bunch of Plug-ins
are coming out,they did inferr that in a comms
to me two months ago?

Ryan Roye
10-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Do you know when their New bunch of Plug-ins
are coming out?

I have no idea what 3rdpowers's future plans for plugin development are, and it's likely dstorm media and people in that area would be the first ones to know of any updates. There is a bit of a language barrier between the devs and non-japanese speaking users... luckily they were able to publish usable english docs at least.

If that were not the case, I wouldn't mind at all cross-promoting their product (IE: purchase Cage/Lattice deformer together and get 40-60% off my tutorials.) or something like that.

CaptainMarlowe
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Well the teaser of your tut alone certainly did promote their work... I have know added both your tutorial and some of their plugins to my to-buy list !

mataori
10-29-2014, 12:20 PM
I just bought it.Wonderful!

Oldcode
10-29-2014, 08:18 PM
luckily they were able to publish usable english docs at least.

I just bought Lattice Deformer and after a little bit of struggling to understand the limited instructions, I've got the basics down. It's pretty obvious that the guys who wrote them, English is not their first language. The big problem now is as soon as I try to change the number of segments, Lightwave crashes. I still have 11.6.1 because reinstalling all plugin and utilities would be a pain. Could that be why it's crashing? Should I upgrade to 11.6.3?

EDIT: I just installed 11.6.3 and yes, the problem went away. Now I have to install all my other plugins but I don't use them all all the time so its not as much as a big deal as I though.

Thanks guys.