PDA

View Full Version : Slow screen refresh

byronpetch
11-28-2003, 09:01 AM
One problem ive always had on running Lightwave on Macs & PC's alike including my current machine is a painfully slow screen refresh rate in Lightwave when the scene starts to get a little complex. It often reaches the stage where everytime I move an object everything disappears and dosent reapear for several seconds. This slows my workflow to a crawl.

Does anyone know what causes this and if it can be solved by buying a better graphics cards?

Im currently using Lightwave 7.5 on a G4 2.25Ghz (Dual) with 1280MB ram.

thanks

Matt P

Matt
11-28-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm using LW7.5c on a Dell Dual Xeon 1GB RAM / Quadro4 900XGL 128MB GFX card and the on-screen feedback crawls on complex scenes too.

Even worse are things like the 'Measure' tool in Modeler (which I don't use anymore, but even so) and the 'Adjust Region' tool in Layout, I mean, it's drawing a simple box and it crawls to an almost unusable level!

Just poor OpenGL implementation, it really shouldn't be like this, apparently OpenGL is better in v8, I really hope so.

byronpetch
11-30-2003, 04:24 AM
Hi Thanks for your reply.

yes my cards aren't great which is why im wondering if replacing them would help.

Ive got a dual monitor setup with two cards. One is the the dual head card that came with my G4. I know this sounds dumb but im not entirely sure what it is . System profiler says its an ATI Pheonix 64MB. Im using this to supply one monitor. The other card is from an older Mac and is an ATI Radeon 32MB. Would it help if I replaced these?

The screen refresh problems im talking about occur In Layout. I usually have a three view setup(2 wireframe 1 texture) When the scene gets complex everytime I try to do anything like select or move an object the views disappear to refresh then after several seconds reappear a bounding boxes then after several seconds more reappear as wireframe and texture.

Poly counts: Ok this is where you have every right to say to me "well what do you expect with poly counts like that!" This is mostly a problem when im making 3D visualisations of landscapes and gardens. Im not sure what the poly counts are but there are dozens of objects (many with layers) and hundreds of thousands polygons. I always try to keep the polygon count as low as possible and give the impression of plants with as few polygons as possible usually representing flowers and leaves with simple triangle polygons but they soon build up to hundreds of thousands.

I realise that the poly counts are high but surely complex landscape/architectual visualisations would be a common requirement of lightwave. Am I just expecting too much from my kit?

I will check on the open GL drivers.

Thanks

Matt P

Ade
11-30-2003, 05:40 AM
I put my bounding box threshhold upto 50K polys (in display panel), also open gl lights to 4.. This helps.

byronpetch
12-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Ill try that thanks. Do you think better graphics cards would help much?

Thanks

Matt