PDA

View Full Version : Having multiple videos playing on Moving Orb-Ala Phantasm

Columbo24
10-21-2014, 08:59 PM
I would like to have video clips play in some or all of the squares on this orb for a steam punk video. Each square would be a monitor in essence playing video. The orb is going to be rotating and moving. Is it possible to do this in lightwave and HOW?-This is a prototype, the squares will be bigger in the final construction.
Thanks for any replies.
Bill

ernpchan
10-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Yeah, you could make uv maps for each screen and make them their own unique surface using the appropriate uv map.

jeric_synergy
10-21-2014, 11:07 PM
I would like to have video clips play in some or all of the squares on this orb for a steam punk video. Each square would be a monitor in essence playing video. The orb is going to be rotating and moving. Is it possible to do this in lightwave and HOW?-This is a prototype, the squares will be bigger in the final construction.
Thanks for any replies.
Bill
As ernpchan said, with the added info that this is a really simple and easy thing to do.

But: needs more rivets. ;)

CaptainMarlowe
10-21-2014, 11:22 PM
If CCTV shader had been actually working, you could also have put vids on the squares showing what was seen by the front camera. But I never got it to work, at least on Mac.

Edit :
Ho, and more rivets, of course.
And maybe some gears and cogs also...

ernpchan
10-22-2014, 12:23 AM
Seeing as how you plan on rebuilding this thing, you could build one TV, make the uv map and then copy/paste that geometry. This way you don't have to make the uvs for each TV screen.

jeric_synergy
10-22-2014, 01:49 AM
Kinda a sidetrack, but: this may be a singular unique problem limited to me, but I never quite fully understood which bits of info get maintained when copy/pasting geometry. It seems here that UV info does, and sometimes it seems like morphing info does, but it's been a long-term head-scratcher for ME. I guess it goes back to the concept of "vertex maps", which confused me for a long time:

that points can be members of several maps at the same time
that maps are just lists of points, not all the points in the object
that for a given map you can manipulate subsets of points and their values
that mapping operations are goverend by Selection just like everything else

And the idea that a bunch of seemingly unconnected (but repetitive) geometry can all be accessing/referencing the same UV map.... still not second-nature or intuitive by any means.

I think that if someone had ever explained it in a fashion that made clear how the relationships or linkages are regarded within LW, I would have caught on years earlier. Even now, knowing how the UV mechanism behaves, I'd be hard-pressed to give a cogent explanation of what's going on.

Danner
10-22-2014, 02:47 AM
You can map videos instead of images, but I always prefer image sequences they behave better. To make the uv for the screens all you need to do is select only the screens and go to the map tab, select "Poly Map / new quad polygon map" This will put each screen filling a UV, now just assing different surface and image to each and map them using the UV made with the "new quad polygon map"