PDA

View Full Version : Nuke for Free

JohnMarchant
10-21-2014, 04:12 PM
The Foundry will soon be offering Nuke for free for non commercial work. No watermarks or limits. Coming in 2015

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/non-commercial/

ernpchan
10-21-2014, 05:38 PM
That's cool. I would definitely like to become better with it.

Not available to education institutions teaching NUKE
Not available for instructional use or installation or use in a classroom or lab
Not available for use in the same pipeline as commercial versions of NUKE
Not available for use on the premises of a for-profit company during its normal working hours
Not available for use in the provision of a service to 3rd parties, whether paid or not
Not available for use during the user’s normal working hours
Not available for use in a cluster of non-commercial NUKE STUDIO licenses

I'm not sure what they mean by "normal working hours". So if I take a day off during the week I can't use it till after 6?

hrgiger
10-21-2014, 07:03 PM
The Foundry will soon be offering Nuke for free for non commercial work. No watermarks or limits. Coming in 2015

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/non-commercial/

Actually there are several limits.

The non-commercial NUKE STUDIO will be functionally restricted in the following ways:
•Output resolution limited to HD.
•2D format support disabled for DNxHD, MPEG
•Encrypted data storage : All external data storage is encrypted, including NUKE scripts (these are saved with the extension .nkple), gizmos (saved with the extension .gzple), Nuke studio timeline projects (saved with extension .hrox ple) and copying to the clipboard. Among other things, this means the Non-Commercial NUKE saves files in an encrypted format, unlike the commercial version, which saves scripts unencrypted as plain text. The commercial version of NUKE cannot load files created with the Non-commercial version. Non-commercial NUKE, however, can load scripts and gizmos created with the commercial version.
•Limited Python scripting. Non-commercial NUKE restricts the amount of nodes that can be retrieved at a time by scripting. Functions such as "nuke.allNodes()" in Python will return only the first 10 nodes available rather than all of them at once, and scripts written to iterate through the Node Graph will not be able to retrieve any more nodes beyond a set point. The commercial version of NUKE can retrieve any and all nodes at any time as the command names would suggest.
•Disabled nodes including: The WriteGeo node and the Primatte node are disabled in Non-commercial NUKE.
•No Monitor output support: There is no video monitor output support in Non-commercial NUKE.
•No 3rd party plugin support: Only plug-ins that are shipped with NUKE can be used in the PLE. OFX plug-ins and custom plug-ins compiled with the NDK can only be used in the commercial version of NUKE.
•Command line rendering disabled: It is not possible to render a Non-commercial NUKE script with -x from the command line.

Davewriter
10-21-2014, 07:59 PM
At Free I'd have a chance at learning it. Was a simple form to fill out. We'll see what happens.
THANKS for the share!

JohnMarchant
10-22-2014, 12:26 AM
HRGiger, as i read it its not the PLE one, if you scroll down its the non commercial use one, whilst of course there are limitations in its use as far as i can see the software is not crippled.

Have to admit if there is going to be this in 2015 i dont see the point of the PLE version.

Pleasure Dave and my thoughts exactly, no excuses not to learn it now for me.

lightscape
10-22-2014, 01:07 AM
Smart move considering that Natron is free and is a clone of Nuke.

JohnMarchant
10-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Agreed lightscape and i have not got into Natron yet. I really must devote some more time to learning.

Danner
10-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Tried Natron, looks promising, but it's very unstable. I hope it matures soon.

Eagle66
10-22-2014, 11:31 AM
The Limits are okay for non-commercial projects, but what the hell are:

-... available for download on a 30-day rolling license ...
- ... Cannot be used during the user’s normal working hours...

Hmm, waiting for 2015...

JohnMarchant
10-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Not sure as you said we will have to wait for 2015.

Surrealist.
10-22-2014, 03:48 PM
I think you have to take into account that the release of a version like this probably only happens after a lot of meetings and debates. I'd say the restrictions are a list of things that also include some ridiculous stipulations that someone demanded to get a vote. So the thing moves forward, gets released and everyone is happy.

End users get it. It is not for commercial use. Enough said.

JohnMarchant
10-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Agreed but anyway i think its good news and especially for those wanting to learn it, now there is no excuse.

spherical
10-22-2014, 04:40 PM
- ... Cannot be used during the user’s normal working hours...

Yeah, this one made me laugh. I'm always working. Not at the same time of the day either. What are they going to do, monitor each and every user as to then they are using it and if it isn't within some parameters of what they think their "normal working hours" are, shut the app down remotely? This is about the weirdest limitation I've ever seen. I get what their intent is; not to be used "while at your day job". Just strange, otherwise.

tyrot
10-22-2014, 05:59 PM
i think that is a joke - we have everything BUT normal working hours... somebody nuked his brain over there .lol

SBowie
10-22-2014, 07:21 PM
I really hope Homeland Security doesn't read the subject line of this thread ...

Davewriter
10-22-2014, 07:54 PM
HRGiger, as i read it its not the PLE one, if you scroll down its the non commercial use one, whilst of course there are limitations in its use as far as i can see the software is not crippled.

Have to admit if there is going to be this in 2015 i dont see the point of the PLE version.

Pleasure Dave and my thoughts exactly, no excuses not to learn it now for me.

I'll still have that old "stupidity" excuse working for me. But at least I won't have the wife trying to bounce something hard off of my tender head :)

JohnMarchant
10-23-2014, 12:52 AM
Yeah who's normal working hours. I think they just mean in your normal day job if you are involved in this industry, but it was a funny way of putting it across.

Never thought of it but yes DHS may well have flagged this, mind you not that i care.

JohnMarchant
10-23-2014, 12:55 AM
I'll still have that old "stupidity" excuse working for me. But at least I won't have the wife trying to bounce something hard off of my tender head :)

Well find something that she likes and let her do that, quit pro quo mate. I got my wife into graphics but her's is 2D as she uses it for her work now. She is happy and less hassle and work for me :):):), win, win as far as im concerned.

Curly_01
10-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Has anyone seen this.

https://natron.inria.fr/

JohnMarchant
10-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Yes Curly as previously mentioned, i look forward to further updates but its very promising, it has some stability issues at the moment.

probiner
10-23-2014, 06:38 AM
I really hope Homeland Security doesn't read the subject line of this thread ...

Ah dont bother. No one is talking of nucular matters, oops ;).

Good news althoug I always feel a bit weary about bit companies or with already a major position on the market, doing this.

Cheers

lightscape
10-23-2014, 12:04 PM
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/nuke/faq/

Cannot be used on the premises of a for-profit company during its normal working hours
Cannot be used during the user’s normal working hours

Really wierd. So they monitor the system clock and user pc activities?
They should just bring back the watermarked ple version

probiner
10-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Nope because they want to give people entering the market, not people in the market testing it. You don't publish tests into final works. But if you're a student or unemployed your reel is your final work up-to now.

Cheers

lightscape
10-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Yeah but how would they monitor you? Big brother?

Oedo 808
10-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Yeah but how would they monitor you? Big brother?

Wouldn't surprise me, their EULA or whatever used to make me uncomfortable with their desired to profile you, not sure what it's like now.

I had a look at their forums just now and I couldn't see anything related to it, but there was a forum I was going to join a good while back related to Nuke, I went through terms and thought "**** that".

I mean in many ways it's no big deal but companies doing that sort of thing, it's not for me if I can avoid it, though it was some time ago now, perhaps it's not as bad as I thought at the time.

Ernest
10-24-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't think it's so wrong. If your boss gives you the Nuke PLE and tells you to spend your shift learning it, then it's not really a non-commercial use. It's stingy, and probably short-sighted, but I don't think it's all the way to nazi.

beverins
10-24-2014, 07:52 AM
I know for a fact that Nuke phones home, so it would be trivial for them to monitor and enforce the very weird rules for their non-commercial license. What I don't like are the lines that you cannot be in a "cluster" and that you cannot use it while at a school that has Nuke as well. If a student brings a laptop with the NC version of Nuke into a school that is running Nuke, what happens? Does the school get flagged as having a pirate copy?