PDA

View Full Version : LW to sketchup workflow?

ChrisBasken
10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
Hi, I posted this on cg-society but perhaps a dedicated LW forum might have some more info.

I'm working on a project where I need to get LW animations brought over to sketchup. We're trying to avoid purchasing another package but I've been using Blender as an intermediary, with varying results. I've tried the following:

Modeler=>.dae -> Sketchup: Sketchup crashes trying to open the .dae file.

Layout=>.dae -> Sketchup: Sketchup crashes trying to open the .dae file.

Layout =>.dae -> Blender: Blender opens the collada file fine, but loses the animation. It's like it just reads the first frame.

Modeler=>.lwo & Layout=>.mdd -> Blender: This mostly works. Blender reads the .lwo fine and I can apply the .mdd data to it, although the model gets flipped and rotated 90 degrees on the x-axis. The .mdd was generated using the MD Baker displacement plug-in. Changing y-up and z-up makes no difference to how the model appears in Blender. I ended up scaling the model to -1 on the x and manually rotating it back into place. Blender sees the animation.

Blender=>.dae -> Sketchup: This is importing the data from the above workflow, from a (more or less) working Blender setup. It results in a giant .dae file (~9mb, where the previous attempts were about 300k). Despite the additional info, Sketchup loses the animation.

Blender=>.fbx -> Sketchup: Same situation as above.

Has anyone had any success getting an animation out of LW and into Sketchup?

eKalb
10-21-2014, 09:03 AM
SketchUp doesn't really do animation. Are you trying to have each frame be a separate scene in SketchUp, or do you have a plug-in that adds animation functionality?

prometheus
10-21-2014, 09:37 AM
wrong workflow..construct your items in sketchup, do animation and rendering in Lightwave.

long time ago I started a Lightwave-sketchup pipeline thread...but mostly covering exporting object ot sketchup and reverse, so that you get right scale when exporting from lightwave to sketchup or sketchup to lightwave, but animation in sketchup..forget it.
Check this thread..
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?119720-PIPELINE-Lightwave-to-sketchup&highlight=pipeline+sketchup

ChrisBasken
10-21-2014, 05:00 PM
Ok, I should clarify. I'm not the game developer, just the 3D guy, so I was assuming I needed to get content to Sketchup because that's one of the things the developer was using to try to read it. Ultimately this is going into XCode. So if we can bypass Sketchup, that's fine with me.

We can get geometry over to something XCode can work with. It's the animations that are killing us.

prometheus
10-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Ok, I should clarify. I'm not the game developer, just the 3D guy, so I was assuming I needed to get content to Sketchup because that's one of the things the developer was using to try to read it. Ultimately this is going into XCode. So if we can bypass Sketchup, that's fine with me.

We can get geometry over to something XCode can work with. It's the animations that are killing us.

I donīt know anything about xcode, so letīs hope some others do.

ChrisBasken
10-22-2014, 06:15 PM
I appreciate any help I can get. Maybe I should start a new thread that calls out XCode more explicitly.

prometheus
10-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I appreciate any help I can get. Maybe I should start a new thread that calls out XCode more explicitly.

Yes I think so too...Lightwave-xcode workflow? help needed.

I donīt get why you were getting the advice to use sketchup in the process?

ChrisBasken
10-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Misunderstanding on my part, I think. I'm working on a game for IOS, and I'm providing the 3D stuff (geometry, animations) to the game developer. Neither of us is experienced in getting 3D data working like this. Up to now I'd render stuff out and we'd go with sprites. So we've been trying various port methods, like the collada export and Blender as an intermediary, and I think at one point he passed some files through Sketchup. I think I just misinterpreted that to mean Sketchup was an essential part of his process.

I asked him about it since I initially posted, and he said the Sketchup stuff was just part of his testing. So I plead ignorance.