PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a particle EMITTER not EMIT?

rdolishny
10-20-2014, 01:46 PM
I added a null, added an emitter... standard stuff. But the emitter is stuck at zero.

It's a busy scene with fibrefx and some GI lighting... if I create this emitter in a simple scene no problem.

Thoughts?

rdolishny
10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
As I was typing I thought I'd get my working Emitter, save it, then Load From Project into my tricky scene.

Success! Until I parented it to my character. Then the emitter went to zero.

Unparent: it works perfectly.

Now I'm really stumped. I had no idea parenting affected an emitter. Well, obviously it does.

Any ideas?

JoePoe
10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Ideas? Always! :D

What is the parent doing? How is it animated?
Are there simply no particles at all? Or do they die out unexpectedly etc...?

Just to try something... in the emitter settings Generator tab change Size Effect to No Change.
Maybe it's taking it's cue from a behavior of the Parent.

Perhaps you can post a scene with just the parent and emitter for dissection. ;)

prometheus
10-20-2014, 02:30 PM
did you add emitter to the null through the fx tab? or did you add the additional emitter and then parented it to the null?

pinkmouse
10-20-2014, 03:26 PM
Quite often if an emitter is parented to another item, you'll need to hit the calculate button to get stuff to show up. PFX gets confused very easily/ ;)

Greenlaw
10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
pinkmouse beat me to what I was going to write. As a general rule of thumb, I always use Calculate. Also, I always save a .pfx before submitting a render.

One issue I've run into this past year, which may or may not affect you, is with rendering .pfx on a render farm. On a few jobs, I ran into a maddening problem with the farm picking up .pfx files properly even thought the scenes rendered fine with F10 and a local LWSN setup. It turns out that the render controller I was using did not like the shortened path ParticleFX inserts by default for .pfx files. When I replaced the path with the full path starting with the drive letter, the render farm worked perfectly fine for these scenes.

This was true for Deadline (what we use at my current workplace,) and BNR 5 (what I use in my home studio.) I'm not sure what other render controllers are affected, and I'm not sure if this affects all users of these two controllers. I asked around and learned that not everybody is seeing this problem, so I'm just putting this out there for those who are running into a problem with .pfx and network rendering. BTW, if you're seeing similar network render problems with Flocking (I was,) replacing the shortened path for a full path seems to work there too.

G.

skin12002
10-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Hi
Could you parent a null to your character in the position you want the emitter to be, bake out its world coordinates, save the motion and then apply it to your emitter
Cheers
Steve

jeric_synergy
10-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Didn't we in the last...4 months?.... see a similar issue with Emitter sizing? And it was inheriting its scale from its parent.

skin12002 may be onto something, but Baking always seems both crude AND complex to me. ( YMMV ). While what s/he suggest will probably work, I'd suggest gluing the emmitter to the parent either with nodes (targeted to a specific Point) or with some form of constraints. This will eliminate actual PARENTING (should be 'Childing') and since parenting seems to be the issue, it should work.

BTW, when you Parent, is PARENT IN PLACE on or off?

rdolishny
10-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Ideas? Always! :D

What is the parent doing? How is it animated?
Are there simply no particles at all? Or do they die out unexpectedly etc...?

Just to try something... in the emitter settings Generator tab change Size Effect to No Change.
Maybe it's taking it's cue from a behavior of the Parent.

Perhaps you can post a scene with just the parent and emitter for dissection. ;)

That got me in the right direction, although other posters were on to it as well. It was definitely picking up the attributes of the parent, and in this case I had to scale down the model from its original dimensions to a scale of about 0.12 - quite a reduction. Then I added a null, and emitted off that but the scale was way too small to work properly even though the 'emitter size' looked right.

Changing the particle 'size effect to no change' seemed to solve it for now, but I might just rescale everything in Modeller way down and try the scene again with everything in the proper dimensions.

This has been a very informative thread to read. Thank you everyone for your contributions!