PDA

View Full Version : thinkbox frost for lightwave

seghier
10-20-2014, 05:02 AM
hello ; i asked thinkbox team if they can make frost plugin for lightwave and this is their reply :

While it would be technically possible to port Frost to Lightwave, at this point it is highly unlikely, as you are the first user ever to request such a version!

In the past, we had some work done on a stand-alone Python-based Frost module, as well as an integrated version for Autodesk Maya, but both were only available as Alpha builds and never reached Beta or Release phase. From a financial point of view, a Maya version would be highest on our list since we already have a more or less working version, the Maya market is much larger, and our Krakatoa for Maya plugin is selling very well. :)

Additionally, we have had a lot of requests for a CINEMA 4D version. Again, thanks to the Krakatoa C4D release this year we have a much clearer idea about the existing plugin market for that product, and a future Frost port for C4D would make more sense.

Finally, we are currently working on a professional version of Frost within our newly announced Sequoia stand-alone product targeting engineers and LiDAR users, so all our efforts are focused on getting that done as soon as possible.

That being said, I am going to log your request for a Lightwave 3D version of Frost in our Wish List, and if we register more interest in the future, we might consider it

tyrot
10-20-2014, 05:27 AM
C4D users are lucky... damn - i guess i will try the demo soon... for C4D -

Darth Mole
10-20-2014, 10:18 AM
You should give C4D a go - I did and haven't looked back. It's not perfect, of course, but there's a stack of functionality there and the range and scope of plug-ins is excellent, not to mention increasing renderer support. There's a big user community, too, with loads of free training online. The app is growing and is being actively developed which is difficult to argue with LW at the moment. I'm sure something's happening behind the scenes, but I didn't have time to hang around and find out.

seghier
10-20-2014, 11:06 AM
thanks ; i tried c4d since years but i like 3dsmax more ; today c4d cost alot ! +4000 $ and they made different versions with different prices

jasonwestmas
10-20-2014, 11:57 AM
For general graphics stuff in that kind of cost range I would just go with Max+ plugins unless there was a plugin for c4d you couldn't do without.

Megalodon2.0
10-20-2014, 04:19 PM
For general graphics stuff in that kind of cost range I would just go with Max+ plugins unless there was a plugin for c4d you couldn't do without.

Unless of course you would rather OWN your 3D application instead of renting it.

Then again, since C4D is working with Adobe, I wouldn't be surprised if that application also doesn't go rental-only in the relatively near future.

Mr_Q
10-20-2014, 04:22 PM
This is ThinkBox's generic reply to anything for Lightwave.

I tried to get Rob Powers (Lightwave President) and the President of TB together and TB never replied to Rob's requests, or it never went anywhere. Can't be certain. (for Krakatoa)

At least other companies are taking Lightwave more seriously. Not a lot, but some.

tyrot
10-20-2014, 05:07 PM
i still cannot believe C4D actually passed LW :( years ago they were simply copying lightwave ...

motivalex
10-21-2014, 06:26 AM
And now here in the UK, you have to know C4D as a lot of mograph companies use it or expect their freelancers who work on site to know it. It is a good package though. The past managers of Lightwave really dropped the ball as the motion graphics market was for the taking a decade ago. If I remember rightly, a number of users on this forum said so but alas fell on death ears. C4D now has that market. Not to say that Lightwave with the right modernisation couldn't claim some market share back. I am going off thread topic now I guess. :)

tyrot
10-21-2014, 07:06 AM
it is certainly not off topic what you wrote. the rise of c4d is pretty real ..i was not expecting it .. but it happened.. now i know that i cant use max..for those plugins. possibly c4d is the software i ll try..

Darth Mole
10-21-2014, 08:18 AM

Unless of course you're on a Mac. Which a good 50% of C4D users are.

seghier
10-21-2014, 10:42 AM
what about c4d r12 ? is it good

jwiede
10-21-2014, 12:37 PM
what about c4d r12 ? is it good

C4D R12 is _old_, more than anything. The current release is R16, and with releases annually, well, you do the math. R12 is very capable, no question, but cost to upgrade it would be nearly same as rebuy. Do you already have R12 or were you considering purchasing it? If the latter, might want to reconsider.

seghier
10-21-2014, 01:10 PM
thanks ; someone sell this version in ebay ; i am not sure if i will buy it ; i don't like use old products