PDA

View Full Version : Modeler OpenGL speed

Boris Goreta
10-19-2014, 03:20 PM
I found a strange thing and I would like to check if this behaviour happens on my system only for some reason.

This is the model I would like you to load into modeler:
http://www.borisgoreta.com/forum/test%20model.rar

When you load it all layers are automatically activated. If you rotate the model you will see that it is pretty smooth.

Now hit cut and paste all of it in any single layer.

Now try to rotate it and you will see that it is much slower then before.

Does this happen to you too ?

Here is the video on how it looks on my system:

http://www.borisgoreta.com/forum/Desktop%2010.19.2014%20-%2022.38.07.02.rar

Sensei
10-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /forum/Desktop 10.19.2014 - 22.38.07.02.mp4 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.29 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.borisgoreta.com Port 80

Not Found

The requested URL /forum/test model.rar was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.29 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 Server at www.borisgoreta.com Port 80

Boris Goreta
10-19-2014, 03:35 PM
You were too fast it didn't upload yet, now it is there. :)

djwaterman
10-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Mine worked smooth on both versions of model, however the model was a bunch of what looked like text layers all tripled and spiky, so I'm not sure that is how it is meant to look or not.

Boris Goreta
10-19-2014, 04:21 PM
I jittered thr model because I am not allowed to share it. How come it becomes slower for me, did you see the video ?

spherical
10-19-2014, 06:38 PM
You were too fast it didn't upload yet, now it is there. :)

No it isn't.

Sensei
10-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Here is how it works on my ancient computer.
http://www.trueart.pl/Files/Boris%20Object.avi
Yes, little drag (slowness) is detectable after merging layers.
But after Merge Points, it's gone, dunno why..

spherical
10-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Because there are fewer points. Fewer points, fewer lines to track and update, means more responsiveness. This is why a Quadro runs better in these situations. They are optimized specifically for this type of task. Rendering speed and raster image display? Not so much. Points and lines are CAD-specific.

Lewis
10-20-2014, 04:25 AM
Boris, do you have double sided materials ? Turn it Off if you have and add smoothing for all surfaces even if is just 1%. Also turn off Transparency in OGL.

Nvidia crippled GFX cards after 5xx series so anything double sided materials are way way slower to tumble/move than before at old GFX cards/drivers.

Sensei
10-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Because there are fewer points. Fewer points, fewer lines to track and update, means more responsiveness.

Not quite. There is 0.85 million points there.. Merge Points showed that 2 of them were joined ;)
You can't feel so little change. Kinda like feeling that fly landed on your shoulder just because of its mass..

prometheus
10-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Boris, do you have double sided materials ? Turn it Off if you have and add smoothing for all surfaces even if is just 1%. Also turn off Transparency in OGL.

Nvidia crippled GFX cards after 5xx series so anything double sided materials are way way slower to tumble/move than before at old GFX cards/drivers.

aha...so it is better to make all geometry with thicken and no double sided surface?

Lewis
10-20-2014, 03:02 PM
aha...so it is better to make all geometry with thicken and no double sided surface?

Depends on what you are doing and for renderign it' snto a problem to use Doublesides, it's just modeler that suffers unlesss you have Quadro card :)