PDA

View Full Version : octane daylight model VS dp_sunsky?

prometheus
10-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi there!

for those of you familiar with the octane plugin and the daylight model there in, and those of you also familiar with dp_sunsky.

I would like to get some feedback how you compare the two systems (octane daylight model vs dp sunsky), render speed? realism? easy to setup etc and feature wise.

I could of course try the octane plugin..but I have to wait a while since I am not keen on updating the nvidia drivers right now for octane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snuHzEDITAk&list=UUqPmc3i0TE0oyetAKlv1Z2A

tyrot
10-19-2014, 05:40 PM
prometheus - Octane is just so fast so easy to use for daylight models..

please try Octane - you can revert back to old drivers.. you WONT go back once you play with amazing Daylight System (plus HDRI) ...

prometheus
10-19-2014, 06:12 PM
prometheus - Octane is just so fast so easy to use for daylight models..

please try Octane - you can revert back to old drivers.. you WONT go back once you play with amazing Daylight System (plus HDRI) ...

Thanks..will do as soon as possible, but I still wonder over how they compare..dp_sunsky is quite fast too...but more of interest might be how realistic the two models are in comparison...not sure of the sun light lensflare seen in
octane?
Is that some additional flare or is it build in...I donīt see that nice sun lensflare with dp_sunsky...even if you match it with the dp setup script.

OlaHaldor
10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm not familiar with dp_sky, so I'm pretty much biased. But I can say that Octane behaves well and fast.

You have some control on "post process" settings. These let you control bloom and glare. Glare is what you see in the video you attached. You can decide how many spikes the glare have, how intense they are, and how much they are blurred.
If you don't want glare at all, you can take it away entirely but keep bloom if you'd like.

So you're not getting lens flare per se out of Octane, as far as I've gathered in my limited two week exploration.

tyrot
10-20-2014, 02:27 AM

... for you to see sky...posting some old archviz work.

prometheus
10-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Doesnīt say that much in difference to sunsky_maybe the fist one shows a better sun dispersion in to the sky than sunsky does.

youtube or vimeo showcase of ipr interactivly doing itīs thing with the daylight model would be interesting to see..it there is any?

unfortunatly though...octane canīt deal with hypervoxels, which Dp_sunsky can.

erikals
10-20-2014, 02:47 PM
unfortunatly though...octane canīt deal with hypervoxels, which Dp_sunsky can.

think it'll be a long time before we see HyperVoxels or Smoke in Octane...

prometheus
10-20-2014, 03:13 PM
think it'll be a long time before we see HyperVoxels or Smoke in Octane...

Im afraid so..therefore for landscape art It might be best to occlude that, even if it got a nice cloudless sky and some great tech in the surface displacements.
All in all for some arch viz presentation and product rendering..it is a great choice perhaps.