PDA

View Full Version : streaming to youtube

alonso
10-17-2014, 03:35 PM
Hi
Finally i lean how to make an Streaming with Youtube :D, I really like it , I can Send HD resolution and youtube convert to Low resolutions, I made a test doing stream for 7 hours and was good.

My question is, What is the limitations to use youtube? there ir a limit with the amount of people that can connect to streaming? there ir any other limitation?
it looks really good so i was wondering if there is a "bad Side" to use it instead other CDN like usteam or livestream

thanks

kanep
10-17-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't think there is so much a 'bad side' as 'you get what you pay for'. Probably for many productions you will probably be fine. But there are things to be aware of.

YouTube (or any free streaming service) is going to put ads on the stream. Perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but what about your client? True story, a production company was using a free streaming service and during the stream, the ad that came up was for a competitive product. Needless to say, the client wasn't very happy.

Also, bandwidth can be an issue. While they will handle hundreds of viewers without issue, these free services aren't typically setup to handle huge events that might draw in thousands of viewers without advanced notice.

Wheelerw
10-23-2014, 10:05 AM
I used youtube for about 3 months last year and finally got my client to change to Livestream. Youtube was ok, but on two occasions they shut off our stream due to 'copyright' infringement on music we were licensed to use. One more strike they would have closed our stream down. They would not take away the 2 strikes even though we owned the license to play the music in question.
We never had a problem with stream quality on youtube, though. Largest livestream we did for them was 12,000 concurrent views and worked great quality wise.

m4a2000
10-23-2014, 12:07 PM
I've never had ads run on my YouTube streams and in fact it's the reason my school switched from LiveStream and uStream to YouTube. Yes the copyright thing is a pain in the rear but for free it just means you have to be very careful of what you air.

joseburgos
10-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I'll add that I've seen no ad's. There is no limit I know of for viewers. It does all the hard work on multi-bit rate encoding for you. The quality is excellent.
That's the good news.
The bad news is the copyright rules crazy. One time I was knocked off the air due to copyright but the joke of it was I used the specific YouTube supplied copyright free music they supply to specifically use with your videos by YouTube. This means no music is safe and depending on your production, will be a show killer :(
No music, YouTube is great

Take care,

kanep
10-24-2014, 12:09 AM
Just to to my comments above...

In the case of the ads 'problem' that I spoke of above, that wasn't with YouTube but a different CDN's free streaming.

TakeOneDigital
10-24-2014, 12:31 AM
I have the same ads story on a free streaming service. Client was a university using a free account to stream the new president's installation. One of his donors called to say that he was pre-rolled an ad for a competitor university. Egg on face. Needless to say, they've switched to a paid account.