PDA

View Full Version : Thea Render for LightWave

allabulle
10-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Thea Render developers are proposing a poll to its registered user base about "what would be your next most anticipated Thea integration?"

If you are a Thea registered owner and using LightWave please consider casting your vote in favor of LightWave in the poll.

The Render website: http://www.thearender.com
Poll forum thread: http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=15639

spherical
10-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Done!

allabulle
10-17-2014, 03:11 AM
After an update on the list of software available to vote, the poll has been reseted (by mistake, it seems). Please consider voting again.

lightscape
10-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Voted

Tartiflette
10-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Done as well, would be great (no, in fact GREAT !) to have an integrated plugin for LightWave ! :)

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

CaptainMarlowe
10-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Being able to work with both CPU and GPU with OpenCL, Thea is surely a very interesting option.

visualbug
10-17-2014, 03:29 PM
done

spherical
10-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Unsure why Modo is in there now. In an announcement thread on Oct. 16, Thea developers disclosed that they are halting development on the Modo plugin saying, in part: "we didn't find a viable way to continue the plugin development for various (mostly technical) reasons out of our hand." and "there's no way to change the situation [on their end]" and are offering three exit alternatives to customers who, in one manner or another, had previously purchased Modo plugin licenses, so that they are not out-of-pocket due to this difficulty with The Foundry.

allabulle
10-18-2014, 03:32 AM
Giannis (Thea's main developer) said in the poll's thread: "For consistency after all, I decided to re-add Modo, because this poll may serve well for future decisions."

spherical
10-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Figured that may be the case. Show The Foundry how many users are being inconvenienced/ignored by whatever the "difficulty" is with them. I'm just glad that there is a poll. Various of us LightWavers have asked for a long time and all that gets traction lately is SketchUp. :\ Looks like we're going to be in the basement. ArchiCAD, Bonzai, FormZ, Revit and Modo are all ahead. Bonzai (never heard of it) is a cheaper FormZ sibling made by AutoDesSys. Heh, talk about a ripoff of a company name.

CaptainMarlowe
10-19-2014, 12:04 AM
I added my vote.

OFF
10-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Voted!
Ok, let modo users take Corona to yourself - we'll take Thea! ))

CaptainMarlowe
10-19-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm messing with the standalone demo. Pretty interesting stuff.

chikega
10-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Thea is a very nice renderer. ThomasHelzle turned me on to it (and he worked with Arnold in a production environment).

spherical
10-19-2014, 04:47 PM
Voted!
Ok, let modo users take Corona to yourself - we'll take Thea! ))

With FormZ/Bonzai commanding 33% and Modo taking second place, we're gonna have to go some to get any notice. Right now, of course, this poll only has 144 votes total and most, if not all, are made up of Thea users. No telling at this point how many votes a particular application would garner from people thinking about adopting an external renderer. Could be fairly significant. IOW, it's a chicken/egg situation. If there is a plugin, more people buy in. So, we're in third place but only 6 votes from taking second. More voters from outside the Thea community would be good, and Giannis said that they re going to publicize the poll link on external relevant sites at some point.

erikals
10-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Being able to work with both CPU and GPU with OpenCL, Thea is surely a very interesting option.

agree, find it a bit strange that not more LightWaver's have voted, always found Thea to be very nice

lightscape
10-19-2014, 11:26 PM
You guys read Maximus3D comments?

http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=4&t=93303

erikals
10-19-2014, 11:45 PM
yes, but also Dnashj33's comments

I personally think Thea is a better option (than Octane) for those who want to get their GPU involved in the render. You can't find a faster, more fluid interactive rendering experience. I bought in last Christmas for roughly $340. Was a steal as all other GPU-capable renderers (Octane,Arion and Furryball) were $600 and up

jwiede
10-20-2014, 08:40 PM
agree, find it a bit strange that not more LightWaver's have voted, always found Thea to be very nice

Thea IS nice, and in many ways I prefer the flexibility it brings over, say, Octane as a package (esp. the ability to easily move between the different Thea render engines). However, I also agree that plugins are slow coming, and feature development itself is also quite slow (still no viable volumetrics except singular global medium, etc.), and that such attributes in an external render engine package seriously limit its overall value proposition. While I might prefer Thea over Octane in many cases, the simple reality is that Octane supports more than Thea on the platforms where supported that I care above (C4D & LW in particular) and Octane offers a richer work environment overall to those plugins.

If anything, I find the situation with both Thea and Octane a strong indication that perhaps the GPU render engine market isn't quite "ready yet" for general-purpose usage. I still get much more usage from either Maxwell or esp. Vray than I do yet from either Thea or Octane. I think the GPU engine market is a lot closer than it was previously, but until there's at least ubiquitous cross-package hair and particles/volumetrics available (for more than a single export plugin for a given engine), it's hard to view them as particularly "mature" yet. IMO, YMMV, etc.

allabulle
10-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Update to the poll: they now welcome non-user's votes. You might have to register to the forum, though.
If you like to have Thea integrated in LightWave as an option even if you won't buy it now, please consider voting for LightWave in the poll.