PDA

View Full Version : Buying Lightwave

seghier
10-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Hello ; i want buy lightwave but right now i don't take final decision
- i use maxwell render but some features can't rendered with maxwell
- the manual don't have detailed informations without tutorials for beginner ( ex: manual of 3dsmax is excellent )
- and i want know if lightwave can do some works like other softwares : for examples creation soap bubbles with particles and combine them without need external plugins
- is it easy to load dwg or dxf file and create architectural design with precision ?
thanks and sorry for the language and if this thread is not in the right section

prometheus
10-16-2014, 12:06 PM
maxwell renderer? donīt know what you mean by that..you mean standalone is limiting you? there is a maxwell plugin too for lightwave and the fire plugin to adjust almost in realtime..but you might know that.
not sure what stuff you canīt render that you are after?

particles and soap bubbles...of course you can do that, either use hypervoxels surfaces for bubbles, or link geometry to the particles with fx dynamic linker and even have morphs on geometry or displacements...all that nativly.

dwg and dxf is unfortunatly not possible with native lightwave....and you might wanīt to add lw cad to be able to do that..but at extra cost, on the other hand, itīs a fraction of the cost together with lightwave and you get an excellent modeling tool.

lwcad on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/user/viktorvelicko/videos

And check the help files..a lot of free vids and also pdf docs on how to create buildings...
http://wtools3d.com/online-help.php

on page13 in lwcad manual you can read about dxf import/export..I donīt think it has dwg support though.
http://www.wtools3d.com/pdf/man4.pdf

I think modo has dxf support nativly..might be worth checking in to before choosing.

jwiede
10-16-2014, 12:18 PM
particles and soap bubbles...of course you can do that, either use hypervoxels surfaces for bubbles, or link geometry to the particles with fx dynamic linker and even have morphs on geometry or displacements...all that nativly.

Sorry, but I must disagree. While you're correct about the first part of his soap bubble request, the second part ("combine soap bubbles without need external plugins") is a much less viable proposition using LW pfx by itself without third-party plugins or additional apps. Soap bubbles combine in rather complex geometric manners, and the kind of dynamic particle geometry creation/alteration needed would be somewhere between difficult and nigh-intractable in LW lacking external plugins or other apps to help. Among other issues, there's no easy way in LW to dynamically alter particle-replacement geometry as needed, AFAICT

This would be worth looking into the Indie version of Houdini or another pkg with equivalent highly-flexible and internally-accessible particle system (SI likely could do it, recent Maya prob. can as well), but I don't think it's fair to tell him that LW could do it by itself without plugins (even adding free third-party plugins won't be enough by itself, AFAICT).

seghier
10-16-2014, 12:30 PM
thanks prometheus and jwiede
some features like hair ; smoke can't rendered with maxwell ; i don't know about other features like grass ; instances ...etc
for the combine of bubbles i asked in other thread ; in 3dsmax need plugin to combine bubbles
in blender using metablls take long time to calculate ; and other softwares very expensive ( blender is good but we can't compare it to professional softwares)

prometheus
10-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Sorry, but I must disagree. While you're correct about the first part of his soap bubble request, the second part ("combine soap bubbles without need external plugins") is a much less viable proposition using LW pfx by itself without third-party plugins or additional apps. Soap bubbles combine in rather complex geometric manners, and the kind of dynamic particle geometry creation/alteration needed would be somewhere between difficult and nigh-intractable in LW lacking external plugins or other apps to help. Among other issues, there's no easy way in LW to dynamically alter particle-replacement geometry as needed, AFAICT

This would be worth looking into the Indie version of Houdini or another pkg with equivalent highly-flexible and internally-accessible particle system (SI likely could do it, recent Maya prob. can as well), but I don't think it's fair to tell him that LW could do it by itself without plugins (even adding free third-party plugins won't be enough by itself, AFAICT).

Well..I donīt think we know exactly how advanced it needs to be here.
You might be right though if it should showcase the very complex realism when a real soab bubble merges with another bubble or detach from another.

prometheus
10-16-2014, 12:35 PM
thanks prometheus and jwiede
some features like hair ; smoke can't rendered with maxwell ; i don't know about other features like grass ; instances ...etc
for the combine of bubbles i asked in other thread ; in 3dsmax need plugin to combine bubbles
in blender using metablls take long time to calculate ; and other softwares very expensive ( blender is good but we can't compare it to professional softwares)

Depends on how complex the blending between bubbles should be...as if it is to showcase the hexagon shape at the point of intersection..that will be tricky I think.

for smoke you would like to get your hands on turbulenceFd, unless wrestling a lot..lot of time with hypervoxels only to get semi decent stuff..so that will cost extra for turbulencefd.
smoke trails from aeroplanes and some other semi decent dust and some typical space explosions can work with hypervoxels only...but for more advanced realism..fluids is the way to go.
grass and instances in lightwave..no problemo ..theres a good grass sample in the content.

jwiede
10-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Depends on how complex the blending between bubbles should be...as if it is to showcase the hexagon shape at the point of intersection..that will be tricky I think.

Any pkg with decent procedural geometry support should be able to handle this task reasonably well. As I said, Houdini and SI would be my first-tier choices. Basically it requires a dynamic 3D Voronoi graph with particles serving as cell centerpoints, give or take a bit. It's just that LW's level of support for render-time-dynamic procedural geometry is very poor in the first place, and having pfx drive render-time-dynamic procedural geometry is basically a no-go even with plugins. Such a task just represents a problem LW's architecture is very poorly-suited to handle, though I'm sure it could also be brute-force replicated in LW somehow as long as neither efficiency nor render-time were an issue.

seghier
10-16-2014, 01:40 PM
houdini indie does not work with third party renderers ; other softwares are expensive and there is no promotion to reduce prices
jwiede : what you mean by SI

prometheus
10-16-2014, 01:42 PM
houdini indie does not work with third party renderers ; other softwares are expensive and there is no promotion to reduce prices
jwiede : what you mean by SI

softimage perhaps...but who would invest in that when it is shut down?

seghier
10-16-2014, 01:54 PM
softimage ; yes it shutdown and i never like it
i find other software called shade .

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:00 PM
houdini indie does not work with third party renderers

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/render/renderman

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1581&Itemid=335

Multiple Render Engines
Houdini’s open architecture is designed to handle multiple render engines. Pixar RenderMan support is built-in including a node-based RSL shader builder. A Python-based back-end called SOHO lets you hook in your favorite renderer as needed. Once the renderer is connected then setting up a shot in Houdini uses the same workflow as Mantra and different renderers can be used to output different render layers belonging to the same shot.

In cases where you are committed to a third party renderer, it is possible to use your unlimited Mantra tokens for turntable animations and test shots then use the same user experience to output to your chosen rendering solution for final output. Along the way, you may actually find the Mantra output meeting your needs and actually use it for your final shots.

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:15 PM
softimage perhaps...but who would invest in that when it is shut down?

Someone who wants the awesome tools it has.

I am however going to gradually move over to Houdini. Just seems to make more sense. I liked Softimage but I don't know saw the writing on the wall. My reasons for recommending it or not would have nothing to do with the fact it will stop getting development and support shortly. If the tools do it for you. Invest. Get a lot of use out of it. If not don't.

One thing is for sure, it will outclass LW for years to come in all areas. So if it rocks your world. Snatch up a copy.

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:21 PM
softimage ; yes it shutdown and i never like it
i find other software called shade .

Pretty cool. Never heard of it.

http://mirye.net/shade-3d

Would not compare it to XSI though.

seghier
10-16-2014, 02:21 PM
thanks for informations ; i can't use other render engine and houdini indie have limited render size

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for informations ; i can't use other render engine and houdini indie have limited render size

jwiede
10-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Someone who wants the awesome tools it has.

I am however going to gradually move over to Houdini. Just seems to make more sense. I liked Softimage but I don't know saw the writing on the wall. My reasons for recommending it or not would have nothing to do with the fact it will stop getting development and support shortly. If the tools do it for you. Invest. Get a lot of use out of it. If not don't.

One thing is for sure, it will outclass LW for years to come in all areas. So if it rocks your world. Snatch up a copy.

Kinda my thought as well -- I'm actually trying to gather (and justify to myself) the cost for an SI license before they cease to be sold. Then again, I still get plenty of use out of my Shake license (and bought on EBay a second Shake license _after_ Shake was being sold by Apple). Just because software is being EOL'd doesn't make it valueless, esp. when you're talking about "best in class by a wide margin"-type products like Shake and Softimage.

Anyway, back to the thread topic... I was pointing out Softimage as a product capable of the level of procedural geometry needed such that the effect could be scripted (or ICE'd) up in an efficient manner, not necessarily suggesting it as a general purchase recommendation for others.

If you're looking for another "current" pkg candidate to consider, C4D would also be capable of the task in question, though slightly less efficiently so than either Houdini or SI. You'd need to code up a custom Python plugin for the procedural Voronoi cell mesh etc. for C4D, but it definitely would be doable (because individually all the pieces already exist as third-party Python plugins, and integrating them isn't _that_ big a task from the looks of it). C4D would require substantially more overall scripting effort than either Houdini or SI would require for the same task, I suspect, but as most of the pieces already exist, it might work out more efficient in the long run. Maxwell's C4D support is excellent, as well.

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Hello ; i want buy lightwave but right now i don't take final decision
- i use maxwell render but some features can't rendered with maxwell
- the manual don't have detailed informations without tutorials for beginner ( ex: manual of 3dsmax is excellent )
- and i want know if lightwave can do some works like other softwares : for examples creation soap bubbles with particles and combine them without need external plugins
- is it easy to load dwg or dxf file and create architectural design with precision ?
thanks and sorry for the language and if this thread is not in the right section

All 3rD partly renders have limitations. Not just with LightWave. Just the nature of going that way. Maxwell is a very heavy on render time. LW native render however does do a real good job. Once you learn how to use it it can create great results.

Surfacing and rendering in LW is by far the easiest to use and get real good results. It is still one of the better solutions out there and would be the strongest reason to go LightWave in my opinion.

If you are looking for special effects, I'd say Houdini, Animation, Maya, LightWave will give you a lot of features fairly cheaply. But I would proceed very methodically and define exactly what you want to do and make a lot of tests before deciding.

seghier
10-16-2014, 02:35 PM
shade 3d is not powerful as lightwave ; lightwave with actual promotion is the best choice and it launched quickly better than autodesk softwares
houdini very nice but version with all features is very expensive .

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Just because software is being EOL'd doesn't make it valueless, esp. when you're talking about "best in class by a wide margin"-type products like Shake and Softimage.

Agreed. The tools in XSI are really some of the best out there right now in a lot of areas. ICE alone is worth the price of admission.

seghier
10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
thanks Surrealist
i use maxwell for rendering but using some features need to use internal render engine
i want lightwave ; first for architectural projects ( for my work ) ; and for modeling ; creating scenes or animations as hobbyist

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. The tools in XSI are really some of the best out there right now in a lot of areas. ICE alone is worth the price of admission.

autodesk killed softimage and naiad ...; than they will kill many softwares

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:47 PM
shade 3d is not powerful as lightwave ; lightwave with actual promotion is the best choice and it launched quickly better than autodesk softwares
houdini very nice but version with all features is very expensive .

It sounds like you are sold on LightWave. I say go for it.

Loading time... well. Hmmm have to agree but it is worth the wait considering what you are getting.

However Houdni Indi is a bargain and has most all of the features of the full version however no 3P rendering. Really honestly the best deal on the market right now for a freelancer. Something to consider in addition to LW for sure if you are on a budget.

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 02:56 PM
thanks Surrealist
i use maxwell for rendering but using some features need to use internal render engine
i want lightwave ; first for architectural projects ( for my work ) ; and for modeling ; creating scenes or animations as hobbyist

autodesk killed softimage and naiad ...; than they will kill many softwares

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/bifrost-the-return-of-the-naiad-team-with-a-bridge-to-ice/

It is alive and well under a different name and being incorporated into Maya now.

For what you want to do sounds like LW would be a good choice.

seghier
10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
thanks
yes lightwave actualy the best with this price ( rhino 799$ ! ) ; i will buy it this month

- - - Updated - - -

thanks
yes lightwave actualy the best with this price ( rhino 799$ ! ) ; i will buy it this month

seghier
10-16-2014, 03:01 PM
yes naiad team work in autodesk ; but standalone application like that is excelent ; naiad can make great jod

m.d.
10-16-2014, 04:17 PM
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/render/renderman

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1581&Itemid=335

The annual gross revenue of commercial entities and contracting entities does not exceed $100K USD
Commercial entities and contracting entities can purchase a maximum of 3 Houdini Indie and 3 Houdini Engine licenses
Houdini Indie cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of Houdini
Houdini Indie uses its own file format for saving scenes and assets
It is restricted to 1920x1080 when rendering out animations
Houdini Indie does not work with third party renderers.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=244&Itemid=399

seghier
10-16-2014, 04:22 PM
thanks . i contacted houdini support and they say that houdini indie not for commercial use ; for this reason it doesn't work with other render engines

ernpchan
10-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Have you downloaded the demo and tried it out? That would give you a good idea if LW is a good fit for you.

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 04:51 PM
thanks . i contacted houdini support and they say that houdini indie not for commercial use ; for this reason it doesn't work with other render engines

True it does not support 3P renders. But you can use it commercially. The previous version apprentice HD was not available for commercial use.

The idea here is to only get your VFX together.

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Houdini Indie does not work with third party renderers.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=244&Itemid=399

Yep saw this after I posted those links, commented on it already...:)

seghier
10-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Have you downloaded the demo and tried it out? That would give you a good idea if LW is a good fit for you.

yes i tried it since years than i tried it again . i buy some books and tutorials to learn it better

seghier
10-16-2014, 05:01 PM
True it does not support 3P renders. But you can use it commercially. The previous version apprentice HD was not available for commercial use.

The idea here is to only get your VFX together.

houdini without support of maxwell i don't need it and the render size is limited
and i want learn lightwave ; two softwares at the same time it's not possible for me :)

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 05:15 PM
I would hope so. I don't usually juggle more than one while learning. Houdini is only if you need high end special effects in my opinion.

Lihtwave is a good all around tool. So yeah, start there and then branch out. Add tools as you think you need them.

seghier
10-16-2014, 05:34 PM
thank you ; i will learn more what i need
and if houdini make promotion in future it will be very nice

jasonwestmas
10-16-2014, 06:30 PM
If you want super awesome particle and fiber stuff you're going to have to reach outside of lightwave. Realflow, Maya, Max plugins, Houdini etc. Otherwise yeah all that can be rendered inside of lightwave. But since you are interested in using maxwell only I would try some other environment to create complex bubble or foam modeling/ animation. Perhaps a grid based fluid sim based on the substance you are after.

seghier
10-16-2014, 06:57 PM
thanks ; i have realflow learning edition but i don't think it can create bubbles and combine them into one mesh like plugin of 3dsmax
creating of liquid and particle is hobby ; my primary reason to buy lightwave is architectural visualization

jasonwestmas
10-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Lightwave can do the archviz thing mighty fine.:) Lots of options for that using lightwave too.

seghier
10-16-2014, 07:20 PM

prometheus
10-16-2014, 07:56 PM
if you aim seriously to work with archviz..I think you will come to the conclusion that lw cad will be a must..
the rest is learning to light it properly with dp_sunsky radiosity and maybe dome lights..alternativly using hdr imaging sIBl, both are free..

This might be a handy guide...for radiosity...
http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide95/

For Antialiasing....
http://www.except.nl/lightwave/aa/index.htm

sunsky model...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Sunsky.html

Sibl plugin...
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/software.html

Sibl...archive
http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

the lightwave octane bundle..I think you should go for...especially for itīs speed if you have a good cuda graphics card, and it also offers more realistic surfaces in many cases for energy conserving stuff..I think, and itīs
new surface displacement technique seem to be revolutionary for high detail on surfaces.
https://render.otoy.com/shop/lightwave_plugin.php

The demo is here...
https://render.otoy.com/downloads.php

seghier
10-16-2014, 08:20 PM
thank you prometheus for the links
octane and all softwares based on gpu i can't use them

erikals
10-16-2014, 09:01 PM
...contacted houdini support and they say that houdini indie not for commercial use...

weird claim, can you please paste the exact info they wrote? ...cause that's not what i heard (!)

seghier
10-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Houdini Indie, and our free Houdini Apprentice versions do not support the Maxwell Renderer. Only our fully commercial versions (Houdini and Houdini FX) support any 3rd Party Renderer like Maxwell.

We offer our discounted products, (Houdini Indie, and the free Houdini Apprentice), to be used as learning tools. So that people can learn how to use Houdini. We put certain limitations on them (like no access to Maxwell) so that people are not tempted to try and use them illegally for large commercial projects.
----------------------
they sayed to be used for learning tools than they sayed illegally for large commercial projects

Megalodon2.0
10-16-2014, 09:34 PM
they sayed to be used for learning tools than they sayed illegally for large commercial projects

But there are teeny-tiny small commercial projects. :)

seghier
10-16-2014, 09:43 PM
but there are teeny-tiny small commercial projects. :)

:d

erikals
10-16-2014, 09:50 PM
true, if you are a 1man company in a start-up phase you can use it

Houdini Indie - the annual gross revenue of commercial entities and contracting entities does not exceed $100K

seghier
10-16-2014, 10:00 PM
limitation of render size and using mantra only make it like learning edition ; this version is good for games

Surrealist.
10-16-2014, 10:30 PM
There is a ton of commercial work where you will never approach anything above 1080 HD. In fact there is an entire sub industry of people that work at this level - or below - still. Industrial work and videos that get distributed on the web or DVD. A lot of arch vis work at this level as well.

And Houdni would be my last choice to use in games. Can't imagine game indies picking up Houdni for this. They'd use Blender or Maya LT.

But at any rate, as mentioned, yeah, LightWave is a fine choice for what you want to do.

If FX work is a hobby I'd say pick up the free learning edition of Houdini when you have time and play with it.

prometheus
10-17-2014, 07:44 AM
thank you prometheus for the links
octane and all softwares based on gpu i can't use them

Then youré out of luck of you want to work with fluids too...itīs almost a must to have a cuda card to work with turbulenceFD for fire and smoke stuff...or simply enjoy the pain of slow simulations.
or stick with hypervoxels and real phootage.

Then again..you can simply work with lightwave as an archviz tool since that is your main objective for now, and when you can afford it..get a decent graphics card supporting cuda.

seghier
10-17-2014, 07:49 AM
you are right ; but some client want big image size for architectural projects ; and because it does't support maxwell
if they make it support maxwell or other engine the limitation of the size disappear
after seeing some videos of lwcad i really like it and like the quick result ; remind me sketchup but with better features

seghier
10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
i don't understand houdini support
they sayed in the website indie version for commercial use and today they say again it is learning version ; who want buy learning version if other learning version is free ?

prometheus
10-17-2014, 09:03 AM
i don't understand houdini support
they sayed in the website indie version for commercial use and today they say again it is learning version ; who want buy learning version if other learning version is free ?

the learning version you can not use for commercial work, the indie version probably for 1 man work only, and besides..the learning version has limits in export and it has watermarks and render resolution lower than indie(640 480), the indie version has no watermark
and probably not limited in export either and render at higher resolution.

houdini aquires you to really spend more time with it I reckon..since the node workflow is or can be daunting, and you need to be very careful to understand in what level of the node container you are working in ...in order for it to work as you expect it to work,
some stuff like starting the renderer takes a huge time compared to lightwave ..which simply starts directly..with houdini it seems to take a long time before the renderer starts.

so houdini is quite complex if you wanīt to know it well..and learning it might take much much longer than lightwave...on the other hand, the acess to almost every tool is well implemented with the tab search functions..and the documentation is well founded..compared to lightwave.

I still scratch my head around wether or not I should dig deeper in to houdini or not? I often found myself ..shutting it down and boost up lightwave many times instead...faster to work with and also render...but you will
find yourself limited in lightwave too..knowing that those top notch particle vfx stuff is not easy to acheive...or is indeed impossible.

prometheus
10-17-2014, 09:15 AM
you are right ; but some client want big image size for architectural projects ; and because it does't support maxwell
if they make it support maxwell or other engine the limitation of the size disappear
after seeing some videos of lwcad i really like it and like the quick result ; remind me sketchup but with better features

lwcad has so many features that are not possible to do in sketchup, whatīs great with sketchup thou, pen tool, push and pull tool, and itīs snapping axis.....and also...the dimension tools which are by far much better than what I have seen in lw cad..and that is an important tool for showcasing archvis in many cases.
lwcad donīt have the same workflow of the pen tool and the push and pull tool...those were designed to be as Illustrator paper simulated friendly as possible.

seghier
10-17-2014, 09:17 AM
the reason for not support other renderer is the image size ; i ask them if they can work with other company to make special edition of render engines with limited size
but they reply the version for learning !
full commercial version of lightwave is the best without limitaion

Surrealist.
10-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I read the first email. I think you are getting confused. A version for "learning" does not mean it is a student non-commercial license. "full commercial version" does not mean it is the only commercial version.

The idea is they want anyone to get Houdnini and use it, learn it, have it available for commercial work for smaller jobs. It is in their best interest to get more people "learning it" this does not mean "only non commercial use". It just means get people learning and using. If a small company or individual gets it, then they can then take it with them as they move up into larger business. Then one time only, they will allow you to convert all of your files to the "full commercial" format. They will do this for you.

Does that make sense?

seghier
10-17-2014, 10:12 AM
thanks for explanation ; it will be good choice if they allow rendering with external renderer ; they say they will study this possibility

Surrealist.
10-17-2014, 10:15 AM

I don't think anyone is recommending Houdni for your architectural work. LightWave and LightWave CAD as well as all of the 3P render support from Maxwell, and many other render engines will give you just about all you need.

That said, for larger renders, many times what I have to do is render in smaller resolution anyway and upres in Photoshop. Even when using LightWave. Upresing to a certain amount is not visible. Photoshop as a filter for this built in and you can get very good results. This is not the same as just resizing an image, with "bicubic" you can actually uprez the image.

Another thing people do is to render in segments and patch it together in PS. It is mainly about scene size (how much geometry) and ram you have more than anything.

I think houdini would serve you well for VFX work and the rendering is not bad at all:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=22&Itemid=279

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for explanation ; it will be good choice if they allow rendering with external renderer ; they say they will study this possibility

I agree. But I don't think it should stop you from exploring it. Have a look at the gallery. The Mantra render engine looks quite nice to me though I have not used it.

seghier
10-17-2014, 10:24 AM
thanks ; i learned many softwares but the problem is the price ; and software like rhino is good but need to add many plugins like sketchup .
i like do vfx work or animation and lightwave have all what i need with actual price.
if houdini indie allow external renderers i will buy it

Surrealist.
10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Yeah cool.

Well enjoy LightWave. LW 12 should have some very interesting things coming fairly soon I would think. I think for an all around solution based on what you want to do and at a decent price you can't go wrong.

Now that you have made a decision, lots of people here who know a lot about LightWave to help you.

seghier
10-17-2014, 10:39 AM
many thanks :)
yes here i find alot of help ; thanks all for the help and replies
i will buy it this month before 31 october of course :)

prometheus
10-17-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't think anyone is recommending Houdni for your architectural work.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=22&Itemid=279

- - - Updated - - -

well..the parametric and procedural workflow allows for building stuff non destructivly and make changes on the fly and create it faster than in lightwave in some cases..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXM7Hx51Qb0
http://vimeo.com/11274018

if and when lightwave and lw cad develops non destructive workflows like this, it will be uber awesome..

a house..well you will do fine with lightwave and lwcad.
a building..well you will do fine with lightwave and lw cad..but it will be easier to change on the fly and go back working on windows frames etc.. in houdini.
a city..well you will be better of working with the procedural workflow in houdini :)
most architects are not responsible for the whole city though..:)

Khalid might be of inspiration...
http://muharraqi-studios.com/

Surrealist.
10-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Yeah, great points man. Agreed. :)