PDA

View Full Version : Morph to null. is there a plugin that does this?

Dan_Ritchie
10-14-2014, 01:15 PM
The idea is that a morph target is used, how much depending on the distance from a control null object. Is there a plugin that does this?

Dexter2999
10-14-2014, 01:28 PM
I've seen this done here in the forums in the past. It wasn't a plug in, however. It was simply a process. I think it may have used the morph fader and "Follower"? Been too long to recall.

ericsmith
10-14-2014, 02:23 PM
Smartmorph from polas.net will do exactly this.

You can also do it natively with nodal displacement, but takes a bit more work to set up.

Greenlaw
10-14-2014, 05:31 PM
The basic setup is pretty easy. I wasn't sure if I remembered how so I threw together a quick test. Here's the scene for you to pick apart:

In the scene, I have a null and an object with an embedded morph. As the null approaches the object, it triggers the morph in the object. You'll find the nodal setup is in the object. Basically, you feed the effector item (the null) and its position into a Distance node, plug that into a Gradient node to convert the distance to values that can drive the morph, and then feed the values into a Scale node to control the morph. A Morph node with the desired morph target selected is also fed into the Scale node. Finally the Scale is plugged into the Displacement node.

Be aware that the gradient may not be accurate if you're working in a non-linear colorspace. I wish they would fix that. For now, I'm told that a good workaround is to add a free Change Colorspace node from db&w. (I think that's what it's called. I haven't tried that yet--I think I'll check it out now.)

I recall there was a good tutorial video by William Vaughn that explains a more advanced example. You should be able to find it on YouTube.

Hope this helps.

G.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Splinegod also did at least one "distance to null" morph trigger tutorial. And that was pre-Nodes, IIRC.

Good warning about the color space trap: I'da never guessed that gradients would be affected by the CS setting. Is this still true if one is using the Alpha value rather than some color value? #afLW

Greenlaw
10-15-2014, 10:32 AM
That's a good question. It proabably depends on your colorspace settings. Color and Alpha have independent settings and ordinarily you would not change the alpha from linear, so I think it should be fine.

G.

Greenlaw
10-15-2014, 10:58 AM
I never used Relativity for this effect but I seem to recall that one of the 'Professors' created a setup for this. I'm pretty sure you can do this with regular expressions too but that's out of my 'comfort zone.' :)

You might be able to do this within the Graph Editor too, using one of the channel plug-ins. I sometimes use nulls to control morphs this way but not based on distance. Maybe there's a way to do that with a plug-in?

I think one of the Worley plug-ins does this too.

Looks like a lot of options.

G.

prometheus
10-15-2014, 12:07 PM
proximity modifier?

Ztreem
10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Add normal displacement in the deformer tab and set it to morph and set a gradient to distance to object. Done!

prometheus
10-15-2014, 03:44 PM
proximity modifier in the morph envelope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiNPRzD2tQ&feature=youtu.be

Greenlaw
10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Add normal displacement in the deformer tab and set it to morph and set a gradient to distance to object. Done!

Just tried your tip..that's elegant! Thanks for sharing it. :)

G.

prometheus
10-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Just tried your tip..that's elegant! Thanks for sharing it. :)

G.

yes..thatīs good...but that donīt seem to work interactivly when you move the null??
with proximity it does.

Greenlaw
10-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Oh, yeah, I see what you mean. This is another case where you need to turn on Studio Live to get full interactivity, which unfortunately can cause other issues depending on the complexity of your scene. I understand that this is a long standing bug in Layout with certain morphing and deformation tools.

G.

WilliamVaughan
10-15-2014, 05:45 PM
I created a video tut for this that should still be up on the ftp site. I used it on the Peter Lorre model and also on a simply SubD Blobby landscape.

WilliamVaughan
10-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Localized morphing of an object based on the distance of another object:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/md.mov

Be sure to also check out the video "Localized Morphing Used on a Face Rig" here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/face.mov

Localized morphing of an object based on the distance of another object using Normal Displacement:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/NormalD.mov

these and many others are found here:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?77002-Hours-of-Free-LightWave-Training-(24-Hours-)

prometheus
10-15-2014, 06:09 PM
yes..I knew those were around...good to update this particular thread with it though..
also here...for faster viewing perhaps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37qkfxMW6rI

Greenlaw
10-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Thanks for posting these links William!

I've seen most of your videos but I can use a good review of some of them (including this topic.) :)

G.

tyrot
10-16-2014, 12:42 AM
i missed his lightwave only days... he was a tutorial machine... perfect style of teaching....

jeric_synergy
10-16-2014, 01:00 AM
i missed his lightwave only days... he was a tutorial machine... perfect style of teaching....

"He's not dead yet!" What I appreciated, more and more, was Williams clear voice and non-mumbling delivery. ::cough cough:: Just sayin', folks.

tyrot
10-16-2014, 01:36 AM
he shows what he does in his tutorial - very short precise - no extra info that you do not see on the screen. He was really "THE" reason for my lightwave career. His tutorials is my lightwave foundation. .... but .... then...modo:(

SteveH
10-16-2014, 09:43 AM
William - I agree you are the absolute best on doing tutorials. It's easy to see you are a really terrific teacher. Thanks for the whole 24 hours of tutorials you did so long ago. I wish you would do another 24 but I know that's not in the cards.

jeric_synergy
10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
That would be a form of documentation, and since the Documentation Jihad.... :devil:

erikals
10-16-2014, 03:44 PM
William's tutorials rocked..! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

i have them all saved on my computer http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif
also see >

LightWave 9
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138913-LightWave-9-videos

LightWave 8
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138898-LightWave-8-videos

jeric_synergy
10-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Yes: his clear voice and lack of hemming and hawing was great.

tyrot
11-05-2014, 07:24 AM
GUYS! i have a one single problem about that distance NULL changes MORPH..

Ok basic stuff i did this as Proton shows but - I DO NOT WANT the morph go back to zero!!!

Means.. NULL approaches - MORPH Activates - even though it goes away MORPH still stays on ..

tell me it is possible!:)

WilliamVaughan
11-05-2014, 07:42 AM
GUYS! i have a one single problem about that distance NULL changes MORPH..

Ok basic stuff i did this as Proton shows but - I DO NOT WANT the morph go back to zero!!!

Means.. NULL approaches - MORPH Activates - even though it goes away MORPH still stays on ..

tell me it is possible!:)

Quick solution is to use more then one NULL

Danner
11-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I guess some logic (only add but don't subtract) with relativity or with an expresion would work but the real question is why do you want that? If I knew the answer maybe just maybe there is an easier way of doing it (like dynamic parenting)

tyrot
11-05-2014, 08:00 AM
PROTON - (always awesome to see you here! ) hey - NEVER thought of that! so ONE null will actually EXPOSED the morph and other just gonna make it visible?

Danner i want to raise - a fence from a ground. There are 3 parts. So each part is having different morph. I just wanted to use Proton's Null-Morph technique. I was failing miserably with ONE Null. I will try second Null. I hope i ll have some results.

Thanks for suggestions.

erikals
11-05-2014, 04:32 PM
dynamic parenting maybe >
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=LightWave+parenting

tyrot
11-05-2014, 04:39 PM
actually i COULDNT figure out two NULLS - so i went out render a image sequence - A basic WIPE - black to white - with some feather and used that as morph texture (normal displacement) - it worked- not perfect but ok

WilliamVaughan
11-05-2014, 05:46 PM
actually i COULDNT figure out two NULLS - so i went out render a image sequence - A basic WIPE - black to white - with some feather and used that as morph texture (normal displacement) - it worked- not perfect but ok

If I have time this weekend I will setup a two null setup... I did it years ago so I know it will work.

Good to hear you have a solution!

tyrot
11-05-2014, 05:51 PM
awesome news.. thanks in advance

omichon
11-06-2014, 12:51 AM

Not sure if it will cover your specific need but instead of a mask made of an image sequence you can define a gradient based on a null position, then put the null rotation to a rotate node (from DPKit) and position as the center. Then you just have to define the gradient range, using the null scaling or a rig of nulls (2 children of the main null) for more accurate control. Hope it may help.

tyrot
11-06-2014, 01:17 AM
thanks omichon - i ll give it a go ..

omichon
11-06-2014, 01:49 AM
Here is the setup

tyrot
11-06-2014, 01:52 AM
wow! i just sent you a PM! thanks alot! will check it right away!

omichon
11-06-2014, 02:00 AM
wow! i just sent you a PM! thanks alot! will check it right away!

you are welcome :)
Glad to be of any help in return of the help I get here.

jeric_synergy
11-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Hmmm..... not sure how the 2null solution got implemented but maybe this will seed some ideas:

how about BETWEEN two nulls?

omichon
11-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Nodal_Linear_mask (DPKit required)

update :
corrected a shift when moving the gradient center away from the origin.
Added a visual representation of the gradient (useful when VPR is off).

Usage :
Move and rotate the gradient using the Gradient_Main_Null.
Adjust the gradient range using the Gradient_Range_Null.
You may have to adjust the Gradient_Range_Null Xpos limits depending on your scene scale.

MonroePoteet
11-07-2014, 01:26 PM
You could use an Expression in the Envelope of each morph target to use the X, Y, or Z distance to a control Null. For example, to use the Y distance between the Null and the morphed object's pivot point, do this:

1) Push the [E] button next to the morph target in MorphMixer
2) In the Graph Editor's bottom pane, press the "Expressions" tab
3) Push the New button to create a new Expression, naming it something useful, like "YDistanceToNull"
4) In the "Value" box, enter in the expression:

[ControlNull.Position.Y]-[MorphedObject.Position.Y]

where "ControlNull" is the name of the Null, and "MorphedObject" is the name of the morphed object. The ".Position.Y" in each case must be exactly that, and the brackets are required. You can add additional arithmetic criteria, for example abs() around the whole expression for its absolute value, or scale it by surrounding the given expression with parentheses and multiplying by a scaling factor. E.G:

abs([ControlNull.Position.Y]-[MorphedObject.Position.Y])*.2

5) In the Channel Bin to the lower left, find and double-click the MorphObject=>MorphGroup=>morph_name that you want this Expression applied to
6) Select Apply in the Expression editor pane

You could then use the X distance to the Null for a different morph, and Z for a third. Or use separate Nulls by replacing the appropriate Null's name in the Expression.

If you really want the overall distance (i.e. not separate X,Y,Z distances), then Proximity works for me.

mTp

tyrot
11-07-2014, 01:55 PM
monroe - thanks for expression workflow - will try it.. asap

MonroePoteet
11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Here's a very simple scene and object to demonstrate the Expression technique.

mTp

tyrot
11-08-2014, 02:24 AM
thank you even more :)

Spaceboy64
03-02-2015, 03:27 PM

I was trying this last night. I know I've used it before, but last night I couldn't get it to work properly. I have a ball that I'd like to squeeze out of a hole, so I made a stretched morph target and tried to attach it to a null as outlined. No joy. I got weird results that I couldn't explain. I had no idea what was going on. I got the ball to deform into a nice egg shape, but that wasn't what I was after, and it seemed to have no connection to the distance away from the null.

Spaceboy64
03-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Here's a screen grab. What am I doing wrong? I would think that 0 at the top of the gradient means 0 distance away from the null, but it's not working that way. If I invert the gradient I get 100% morph no matter where I move the object.