PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Scatter 2015

raw-m
10-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Some very nice features in this. It's a mixture of LW instances & the upcoming Advanced Placement with a few more toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=eeDSN-AfsEM&a=&app=desktop

Lewis
10-14-2014, 04:09 AM
Although i like LW instancing and AP is great stuff and very clever tool this is way, way beyond level of want we can do in LW with instancing , esp . that ease of use and feature pack. I'd love to have such plugin/tool in LW.

raw-m
10-14-2014, 04:34 AM
So do 3ds Max, Maya and Cinema4D share a similar underlining architecture that allow it to work on those different apps or is it purely an issue of money/returns that stops us getting a LW version?

Lewis
10-14-2014, 04:45 AM
I have no idea how similar they are except they all are unified apps so some things are much easier than in split app nature.

vpii
10-14-2014, 06:17 AM
If you have standalone Vue you can use python script Eco to .CSV to export out point locations for plants. Once you export out the CVS file you use a excel type program to split up plant types to seperate CVS files for each type of plant you where using in Vue. I use then a program call Pointor to load each CVS file to convert it into a DXF point model. Load that into Lightwave and you can assign instances to each point model to match Vue. Just export the terrain model out of Vue for base. It is the long way around but you will get same results you are showing here.

Lewis
10-14-2014, 06:24 AM
It is the long way around but you will get same results you are showing here.

BUT that's the point, it's not end result/render that's problem, we can acheive same/similar end result in LW, no problem. Setup time/worakrounds and ease of use is problem and cumbersome to do in LW. Again, mostly due split app nature and missing some things like automatic proxies, splines, interactivity painting, weighting in layout... etc. etc.

raw-m
10-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Thanks vpii, but my point is that looks fun to use, ample creative freedom and stacked with features!

vpii
10-14-2014, 06:33 AM
For sure. I was just showing a cheap alternative way to use Vue Eco placement. Would be great if they had it in Lightwave but on there web page it has said maybe Lightwave in future for 3 to 4 years now. So this workflow will let you paint in Vue then export with out animation.

SteveH
10-14-2014, 08:13 AM
I especially like the feature where you only have tree instances where the camera sees them - as the camera moves you add and subtract instances to fill the screen automatically. That seems like it would really decrease render times and increase available resources. Oh well.....maybe someday.

jwiede
10-16-2014, 01:58 PM
CarbonScatter is a great plugin, and both CarbonScatter 2 and 2015 have added lots of useful functionality and support. I've been using CS in C4D since the betas, and highly recommend it (for those with client packages that can use it).

Having CarbonScatter support LW would be great, but I know historically E-On said critical functionality needed by CS wasn't available through LW APIs. I have no idea whether that situation has changed or not.