PDA

View Full Version : LWM "Precision Mirror"? / orthogonal mirror with vertex plane snapping?

jeric_synergy
10-13-2014, 09:50 PM
Is there a mirroring function in LWM that allows the user to choose a POINT (or EDGE or POLY, but I think a point is easiest) to mirror on an orthogonal axis, as the mirroring plane?

tnx

ernpchan
10-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Not that I know of. That would be helpful though.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2014, 12:00 AM
You know what, I said that wrong. Totally wrong:

What I'd like is a MIRROR FUNCTION, but it would allow users to designate two vertices and the mirror plane would occur exactly half-way between.

spherical
10-14-2014, 03:10 AM
You know, from reading your many posts, I think that LW3DG should put you on staff as the person designated to find that which is missing and prioritize new features to be implemented. Are you independently wealthy? How do you have the time to find all of this stuff?

jeric_synergy
10-14-2014, 09:07 AM
You know, from reading your many posts, I think that LW3DG should put you on staff as the person designated to find that which is missing and prioritize new features to be implemented.
I couldn't agree more. If that didn't fill up my time, they could have me attending to Social Media and working on the documentation.

I could use a job.

jeric_synergy
10-14-2014, 09:41 PM
BTW, Spherical, could you forward your sentiments on to Rob Powers? ;)

jwiede
10-16-2014, 01:39 PM
You know what, I said that wrong. Totally wrong:

What I'd like is a MIRROR FUNCTION, but it would allow users to designate two vertices and the mirror plane would occur exactly half-way between.

This kind of stuff is typically a "derived feature" of custom workplane support (what you're describing is basically symmetry perpendicular across axis of custom-transformed workplane). Unfortunately, LW doesn't really offer native workplane support (nor the custom local coord space transform stack support that requires as infrastructure).

If LW3DG were to add workplanes, adding support for this kind of functionality would just be part of making existing tools properly support workplane-based local space operations. Then again, if workplanes something easy to add to either Modeler or Layout, we'd likely already have em by now.

jeric_synergy
10-16-2014, 05:37 PM
I agree an INTERACTIVE workplane, like the Mirror tool functions now, seems to be beyond Modeler's abilities.

However, a "one-shot" command should be very possible, and there are various 3rd party plugins that IIRC do do various mirroring functions. This particular request occurred to me when I was modeling a character and needed to mirror one leg over, and the mesh was not centered nor orthogonal. Up to a point the mesh is symmetrical, and by choosing a particular vertex on the thigh stump it would have mirrored very easily, and it seemed to me that THAT is something that should be native to the modeling functions.

BTW, I find it interesting that the MIRRORX MIRRORY MIRRORZ subsets are so useful, since I suspect they took hardly any programming. Sometimes a useful subset is the best tool. Whereas the full-on Mirror Tool is a PITA to use (but of course universally applicable).