PDA

View Full Version : Boolean causes lock up

barbieboy
10-13-2014, 06:32 PM
PC locks up as soon as I try a Boolean, have to alt+ctrl+del / Modeler [not running] end programe, PC not under stress, bags of RAM. This is the only thing that causes this to happen. All other aspects of Modeler and Layout run fine.

LW 11.6.3
Win7 64
Intel i7 4790K @4GHz
32GB RAM
Asus 97M
PC less than a month old

spherical
10-13-2014, 10:23 PM
Many times you just have to be patient and wait. It isn't locked up; just thinking. Some operations on complex models/cutters can take quite a while. I've had more than a few complete successfully after 10-15 minutes. Yes, if the two parts aren't properly set up and/or positioned, it can freeze the application because what is being asked is confusing. Speed Boolean many times can handle operations that Boolean barfs on.

barbieboy
10-14-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks Spherical, perhaps its what I am trying to do which is screwing things up. I am trying to make simple cut outs of people as silhouettes, but the only way I can figure out on doing this is by freezing first.

Create/load backdrop/sketch/weld/freeze/extrude/

Ok that works but goes bad when I try to cut some holes where the arms are and repeat the above and perform a boolean. Wait 30 mins and just stays locked with CPU at 13% / RAM 15%

http://1drv.ms/1D9fowK

Skonk
10-14-2014, 07:33 AM
it will be due to the massive number of points you have around the edges of the object.

Try to simply it (reduce the number of points used to form the outer shape).

hrgiger
10-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Yup, the only reason a boolean appears to be freezing the system is on a fairly dense item. Depending on the model, it could hang the system for some time.

zapper1998
10-14-2014, 10:23 AM
I have had Booleans last hours.... and you just have to be patient... plan the booleaning before committing to the ok button, look at the intersecting parts, sometimes it really helps.

barbieboy
10-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Zapper, Think mine was pretty simple !

Looking into using the drill tool, see how that goes

Dexter2999
10-14-2014, 11:37 AM
While I agree that the issue is there are too many points slowing/choking the process, I won't say reduce the number of points.
Rather reduce the number of points involved in the Boolean operation and you can do this by using the Knife tool to cut that one mega-point poly into smaller sections. These sections with smaller point values will be easier for the software to work with.

You might consider using the knife tool across the shoulders, eliminating all the points around the heads from the operation. And cutting across the hips, eliminating the points around the legs from the operation.

Further, you could Knife from the center of the heads straight down. Also, try and process only one shape at a time not multiples.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and doing this BEFORE you extrude the shape will also cut the number of points in half.

Skonk
10-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Zapper, Think mine was pretty simple !

Looking into using the drill tool, see how that goes

it's far from simple.

you have 2 polygons (front and back) that contain what looks like thousands of points.

Trying to boolean into that is going to be generating many thousands of polygons and make the CPU do some seriously heavy work.

As has been suggested you can reduce the points and/or reduce the work load the boolean has by breaking the polygons down into smaller chunks by putting knife cuts.

If you want to see just how complex your object really is, try temporarily converting it to triangles by pressing SHIFT + T.

barbieboy
10-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Drill works fine folks, feed to freeze first, drill, then extrude.

http://1drv.ms/1Da1hHx

Dexter, yes think wise to knife the up lol, or just sketch them individually, will be less flat and more interesting once in LWS

Snosrap
10-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Like Dexter says - use the knife tool (or any of the other slicing tools) and cut it up first. Your booleans will be super fast and won't introduce artifacts in the renders.

Dexter2999
10-14-2014, 01:25 PM
FWIW,

After you slice it up and boolean out the sections you want to subtract, you can then merge the polys back into one complex poly if you wish. Then remove the single point polys that may be left behind.

barbieboy
10-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Yes you are all right about the knife, the drill is taking an age to cut an under the arm hole...

spherical
10-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Boolean operations will become confused when the cutter hits a point or a cutter's point hits a line. This is especially an issue in dense meshes. The probability of this occurring is very high. Points cannot be cut. They are dimensionless, so half of nothing is impossible. The cutter doesn't know what to do with it to decide what is in and what is out. If the operation does complete, you'll find a bunch of polys that didn't get cut and a bunch of polys missing. The only way to fix them is to manually go in and begin intelligently welding points and creating polys to re-close the mesh. Use the point, poly and edge statistics to locate where the problems are. Some will be very difficult to find.