PDA

View Full Version : cineon

smok3
11-28-2003, 03:14 AM
if i render to cineon,

1. does it support alpha channel?
2. can i use that alpha in after effects?
3. how can i configure the format, so that default gamma will be correct when loaded into ae?
edit: 4. is there a cineon loader for photoshop?

tia, smok3.

Mylenium
11-28-2003, 04:23 AM
a) Cineon has n o alpha channel. If you need alpha, you need to save it to a separate image file an use it as a Matte.

b) see a)

c) default Gamma is always 1.7, but the Cineon Effect in AE allows you to tweak this value.

d) Quite likely there is one somewhere, but I don't know it. At least to me it makes not much sense with PShops limited 16 bit handling (It's supposed to be much better in CS, however).

Mylenium

smok3
11-28-2003, 04:44 AM
thanks a lot!

so i will render 'rgb' to cineon and alpha to 24 bit targa.

5. So what you are saying is that ae is not limited to 16 bit/channel and that it actually uses all the fp cineon space?

Cineon Effect in AE
6. is that some plug-in or something bundled with ae? ( i dont remember seeing it before)

Mylenium
11-28-2003, 04:59 AM
Cineons are 10 bpc log whereas 16 bit in AE means 16 bpc lin. So AE will use all the dynamic range of a Cineon file and make the best of it. The Cineon converter is a standard effect of the AE Production Bundle and you will need it to convert between log and lin as well as adjust the Gamma.

Mylenium

smok3
11-29-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Cineons are 10 bpc log whereas 16 bit in AE means 16 bpc lin. So AE will use all the dynamic range of a Cineon file and make the best of it. The Cineon converter is a standard effect of the AE Production Bundle and you will need it to convert between log and lin as well as adjust the Gamma.

Mylenium

ok, that makes sense now, thanks again. :D

smok3
12-01-2003, 03:11 AM
:rolleyes: well, there seems to be more than one surprise after each corner..., how do i get rid of this color clamping? (yes, i disabled dithering on render time)

Mylenium
12-01-2003, 04:29 AM
Ahem, is your AE project set to 16 bit mode? Are your display drivers set to millions of colors?

Mylenium

smok3
12-01-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Ahem, is your AE project set to 16 bit mode?
cough :D , that was it, tnx a lot. (iam ashamed)