PDA

View Full Version : F9 and F10 stopped working

Philbert
10-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Anyone have any idea why this might be? F9 and and F10 have both stopped working in both modeler and layout, although the other F keys seem to work fine. I found this keyboard tester (http://www.keyboardtester.com/) site and those keys are working there so it's not the keyboard. I checked the Keyboard Shortcuts and they are set for F9 and 10. I realized that I was still on LW 11.6.2 so I took the opportunity to upgrade and in 11.6.3 it still doesn't work. This makes rendering very annoying. Ideas?

Edit: Interestingly I've discovered that Shift+F9 does preview motion blur like it's supposed to so it's definitely not the keyboard.

Sensei
10-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Maybe it's starting rendering, then something refuse to render returning error and rendering procedure is stopped, but it happens so fast you don't see difference.. ?
What if you enter camera Width,Height f.e. 16384? On 32 bit machine it's showing "failed to allocate image buffer" or so..

Philbert
10-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Maybe it's starting rendering, then something refuse to render returning error and rendering procedure is stopped, but it happens so fast you don't see difference.. ?
What if you enter camera Width,Height f.e. 16384? On 32 bit machine it's showing "failed to allocate image buffer" or so..

It's not just rendering though, they also don't work in Modeler.

spherical
10-11-2014, 06:03 PM
AHK running?

Sensei
10-11-2014, 06:06 PM
It's not just rendering though, they also don't work in Modeler.

Check different keyboard..

Philbert
10-11-2014, 06:11 PM
AHK running?

I don't know what AHK is.

spherical
10-11-2014, 06:25 PM
AutoHotKey (http://ahkscript.org/). It's a keyboard scripting application/language that reassigns keys and can run macros upon key or key combination press on a per-application basis. IOW, it will recognize the active window and assign different operations that are unique to only that window.

Philbert
10-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Oh I've never heard of it so I guess I'm not using it. ;)

spherical
10-11-2014, 06:30 PM
What happens if you reselect keyboard mappings in LW? Select one that you aren't using > close the panel > open and select the one you prefer.

Philbert
10-11-2014, 06:47 PM
OK so I tried assigning Render CUrrent Frame to ~ instead of F9 and it worked. So I switched it back to F9... Nothing. So worst case scenario, I could just assign those functions to different keys.

Sensei
10-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Sounds to me like keyboard problem,
if it's not reassigning key functions issue..

Philbert
10-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Well I just tried Photoshop and F9 worked. I'm trying to think of other programs I have that use those keys.

spherical
10-11-2014, 08:32 PM
That it's hosed in both Layout and Modeler and not in other applications is odd, to say the very least. That's why I wondered about AHK. This condition survives through a reboot? How about store current config copies, in case you have customizations, and nuke configs?

Philbert
10-11-2014, 08:48 PM
I'm not sure I've tried rebooting, since this started. I should do that. I can't imagine the configs are an issue since I installed a freshly downloaded LightWave so they should be fresh, untouched, configs. I'll try the reboot.

Philbert
10-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Finally got around to rebooting and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks guys.

spherical
10-18-2014, 04:46 PM
One of the first things to do when debugging. When I was a kid, I watched a mechanic troubleshoot why a car wouldn't start. Checked for spark, disassembled the distributor, checked the timing, disassembled the carburetor, began taking the fuel line apart and, getting back to the last section at the tank, blew into the line. No resistance, no bubbles. Out of gas.