PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk software now free to schools worldwide

ernpchan
10-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Good news if you're a school.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2014/10/autodesk-software-now-free-to-schools-worldwide/

prometheus
10-10-2014, 01:46 PM
yepp..that is a very agressive market move, and it will probably strenghten their main product sales, based upon that schools will use this, along with that it is in fact considered industy standard to use some of their software packages.
Unfortunatly it can hit bad against other software...like lightwave for instance.

Why would schools use other software ..when the market industry is requiring these autodesk packages, and when it now goes out as free student tools? hard to beat I would say.
I can only see it change if the studios or the industry market..make a loop in their thinking, and indeed goes the rebelion way, to produce material faster and cheaper..and go the lightwave way:) maybe that is on itīs way...or not?
In such case the rules are set by the studios and the industry for a starter, and then the schools need to change direction too...no matter if the student tools are free or not.

Skonk
10-11-2014, 06:14 AM
I've been asking for years now for Newtek to make Lightwave available for free to students; with no joy at all. I had renewed hope when they removed the need for a physical dongle but alas....

It has been hard to justify continued use of lightwave at my college for some time, considering the students could simply download free versions of max/maya etc but would have to pay for Lightwave.

If our college can now use autodesk stuff for free, as well as our students... then it's pretty much game over as far as lightwave goes for us.

sudac20
10-11-2014, 06:26 AM
It looks like I will have to make the switch at my school as well. I cant justify paying for Lightwave when Maya is available for free. Time to brush up on Maya / Mudbox

Oedo 808
10-11-2014, 06:38 AM
It would seem like a no brainer, I guess there's some reasoning that we are never going to be privy to.