PDA

View Full Version : Network Rendering with Linux and Windows

tcoursey
10-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Anyone using Linux render nodes for a a farm? We use Butterfly and Windows currently. However we are looking to change to Linux. Currently we use Mapped Drives in windows but it seems that is not possible (done differently) in Linux.

Would love to hear from anyone with experience in this area. Thanks!

Airwaves
10-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Anyone using Linux render nodes for a a farm? We use Butterfly and Windows currently. However we are looking to change to Linux. Currently we use Mapped Drives in windows but it seems that is not possible (done differently) in Linux.

I will respond but not to say that I am experienced. So here is what I have done and I am no tech person. I am using screamernet but want to use Butterfly ( I was just working on it before I wrote this).

Within linux using (you guessed it) Wine you can map network drives. There are many tutorials how to do this on youtube. Luckily my brother in law is a programmer so I had him stop by and do it really quickly. I have a short script that runs the .BAT file after startup (sometimes works and sometimes does not). The bat files all run through wine and that makes it work.

I am using ubuntu however if I switch to Butterfly it sounds like I have to use Redhat. Now here is my take on linux render nodes - I believe it is worth the battle and most people do not feel the same but here is my reasoning. I have 5 computers that are part of the farm and I continue to build more as needed but buying the OS seems silly to me because all they do is sit there processing. Yes, I know people use illegitimate versions of operating systems but that does not work with me and I will not do that. If my farm would stay small at just 3 computers it might be worth it but I keep building on it and this causes more cost I do not want.

Anyway, if I can figure out how to get butterfly net render to work I will do it but for now it is all errors and I am still working on the client side. (which is a windows computer)

If I can get it to work I will try to get an image of a working system out to you. Thanks

Airwaves
10-24-2014, 06:40 PM

If you do not mind me asking how many computers do you have setup as nodes? Are they all running windows?