PDA

View Full Version : Substance designer 4.5 and lightwave

vonpietro
10-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Hi,
A few lightwavers here said they used substance designer, how is the workflow between it and lightwave?
anyone using the updated version? Someone mentioned it will do 4k images on the update, do you know if that's in this update? I couldn't find it on their website.
it looks better than 3dcoat to me, I like the particle paint thing too.
thanks...

heres whats new in the update
http://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-designer#new

CaptainMarlowe
10-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I guess you're confused between substance designer (nodal parametric workflow) and substance painter (layered painting).
Right now, Substance Painter is still in beta, and the V1.0 release is scheduled next week. It should have the much awaited 4K engine.
Particle paint is really just the tip of the iceberg. Substance effects directly in painter with manuel tweaking as a brush is completely terrific. Being able to paint seamlessly in 2D or 3D in the same app is a real time saver.
As for use with Lightwave, it doesn't work out of the box. But you can import lwo's in substance painter (note that in substance designer, they have to be .fbx or .obj), and each surface can have it's own UV map for multi-material painting ( a welcomed workaround with 2K current limitation).
Then you export your textures (diffuse, specular, normal, or height, metal, roughness if PBR) and you'll have to put them manually on the right surfaces in Lightwave. In other words, unlike 3D-Coat, SP doesn't export the updated mesh with the textures applied.
Other than that, for any painting task equal or below 2K, SP has completely replaced 3D-Coat for me, and it will be even more so with 4K support.
(This said, don't throw 3D-coat away, it's still useful for certain normal map generation, or for certain painting tasks, especially if you need regular splines or lines, which is not - yet - supported by painter (edit) and of course for any 8K and above texture painting).

tburbage
10-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Substance support in LW would certainly be welcome. Unfortunately, I think that support is mostly provided by Allegorithmic via plugin(s), not the host apps. So Allegorithmic folks have to be convinced it is worth their investment to do the dev work. So far, it doesn't appear that they think so...

CaptainMarlowe
10-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Who knows ? I remember seing on Twitter or FB a comment from LW3DG saying they were looking into substance seriously... so... maybe we can hope for some integration...