PDA

View Full Version : Creating weightmaps in Layout!

jaxtone
10-07-2014, 04:55 AM
Is there any chance that I could possibly create and edit Weightmaps in Layout without damaging a character?

bazsa73
10-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Weightmaps can be edited only in modeler.

Sensei
10-07-2014, 08:06 AM
I never could understand why somebody wants to create weight maps in Layout.
Points cant be picked up, so how are you going to tell which part of object should have which weight value?
Making tool which is clearing, or setting weight map value to constant value, is easy..

Solar System (http://solarsystem.trueart.eu) generating plugin is even generating separate UV maps for the all planets and Sun in Layout...

prometheus
10-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Points cant be picked up, so how are you going to tell which part of object should have which weight value?
Making tool which is clearing, or setting weight map value to constant value, is easy..

Solar System (http://solarsystem.trueart.eu) generating plugin is even generating separate UV maps for the all planets and Sun in Layout...

To me it would be so much easier if one could weight paint density areas for instances,fiberfx and also hypervoxels to attach to the weight density, and even brush paint in where to give birth to particles or turbulenceFD fluid
emission, I donīt see it as a nice workflow having to switch to modeler for doing that, since layout is scene context sensitive where modeler is not.

jeric_synergy
10-07-2014, 10:41 AM
8~ OBviously that would be part of the feature. OBVIOUSLY.

UI: I wish the subject line were "Creating weightmaps in Layout?" instead of "Creating weightmaps in Layout!" which gives the impression it's suddenly possible. :devil:

prometheus
10-07-2014, 11:45 AM
8~ OBviously that would be part of the feature. OBVIOUSLY.

UI: I wish the subject line were "Creating weightmaps in Layout?" instead of "Creating weightmaps in Layout!" which gives the impression it's suddenly possible. :devil:

Sounds obvious to me too :)

Kevbarnes
10-07-2014, 12:40 PM
"Creating weightmaps in Layout!" which gives the impression it's suddenly possible.:

It is !

WeightPaintTool

Regards Kev

ps Don't forget to save the object or you will loose any edits and weightmaps that are created

jaxtone
10-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Well, I donīt know what to say here Sensei, except from that most other 3D-suites actually donīt mess around with two modules like "modeler" and "layout!"

I guess we can agree on that it both are ups and downs when working with two modules in the same 3D-software. To be totally honest the positive thing about this hasnīt anything to do with efficiency itīs more like an old friend you hate and love at the same time. But if I could counīt all hours, days and months I have lost during the years with Lightwave by switching between modules instead of using a fast track to a solution I must consider myself as mad when looking at the past with Lightwave :)

At this very moment I was mostly looking for the same functions as Prometheus described an Airbrush tool capable of editing and change maps that actually doesnīt do the job right in modeler, and I would like to do this without leaving an application for another!

jaxtone
10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Hmm.. never thought about it that way but you may be right! Anyway it wasnīt my intention to create false expectations so I just hope that one good thing about this leads to a massive campaign from the forum users to give the Lightwave technicians a mission to complete :)

- - - Updated - - -

What about the WeightPaintTool and 64 bit systems?

Can I run the 32 bit plugin on these as well?

It is !

WeightPaintTool

Regards Kev

ps Don't forget to save the object or you will loose any edits and weightmaps that are created

Kevbarnes
10-07-2014, 01:25 PM
What about 64 bit systems? Can I run the 32 bit plugin on these as well?

Don't know - I only use 32bit
there is a japanese Doc included in the zip

Credit to
[email protected]
http://www.3dcel.jp

Try emailing - you might get an update

prometheus
10-07-2014, 01:36 PM
yeah ...I knew that tool was around, but forgot to mention it, bad bad lightwaver.

Kevbarnes
10-07-2014, 01:48 PM
yeah ...I knew that tool was around, but forgot to mention it, bad bad lightwaver.

Its got a companion that allows you to edit a mesh in Layout

Ztreem
10-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Don't forget the old vertex paint, it works in layout and can create and adjust weightmaps. Unfortunately the weightmap only get updated when you close vertex paint, so you can't for example see the instances update while you paint. :(

Greenlaw
10-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Those 'demo' plug-ins have been around for a while. I think the mesh editing one eventually became the basis for some of the commercial 3rd Powers tools. I wish they would release a tool based on their weight painting demo. And, yeah, they only work in 32-bit Lightwave. (The old demo plugins I mean; the 3rd Powers tools work fine in x64,)

As for painting/editing weights in Layout, I could really use that when rigging or setting up certain types of effects. It would be useful to see how the weights work in an animation and be able edit them interactively. It would be a more direct workflow that eliminates some of the guesswork involved when hopping back and forth between Layout and Modeler.

G.

Kevbarnes
10-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Don't forget the old vertex paint, it works in layout and can create and adjust weightmaps. Unfortunately the weightmap only get updated when you close vertex paint, so you can't for example see the instances update while you paint. :(

I never knew it could be used outside of modeler - that's cool

vector
10-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Yes, when animating/fx-ing you can understand why somebody wants to create/edit weight maps in Layout: It's faster than jumping Layout to modeler to layout to modeler to layout to...

jaxtone
10-08-2014, 02:22 AM
Ok!

Here is another question!

Anyone knows if its possible to edit weight maps connected to objects that donīt contain bones in Vertex paint?

sampei
10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
was getting my hopes up but vertex paint doesn't seem to work, hope I'm wrong! this feature in layout would be a godsend for when you are cleaning up after less-than-perfect displacement maps because going back to modeler and guessing which parent vertices to edit is horrible, especially with heavy scenes and related F12 freezes and frequent crashes.