PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.5 objects and scenes - forward compatibility?

amused
10-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I did do a search but this didn't seem to be easily found. I have LW 8.5 that is dongled to a Video Toaster card in a system that will eventually crash because of its age. I've been saving the objects, scenes, and MotionMixer motions to a separate storage device, but I'm wondering if they will even be accessible with the newer versions of Lightwave. Is there a compatibility page somewhere that shows which earlier version objects, scenes, and motions are loadable by the current version?

Thanks!

ernpchan
10-06-2014, 07:54 PM
You could download the demo and see how much comes over. The ik system changed in 9. For the most part not too much breaks between versions but some stuff does.

jeric_synergy
10-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Geometry and Surfaces should work fine. More advanced stuff, not so much. There's also a question of Color Space-- Surfaces may appear different in different Color Spaces.

amused
10-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Thanks! I'm saving for a used Mac Pro and will try the demo on that system.

spherical
10-11-2014, 06:23 PM
When you open older models/scenes, in the Surface Editor:

On the Basic tab there will be an Exclude from VStack checkbox that usually will be on by default when objects from older versions are loaded. This reverts to the previous method of computing volumes and transparents. See page 13 in the v10 Surface and Rendering manual on Volume Stack.

On the Advanced tab, is a Compatibility dropdown that makes the Surface Editor behave as it did before v9.0 and/or before 9.5. See page 37 in the v10 Surface and Rendering manual.

amused
10-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks. I bought a BOXX system with a Video Toaster card and Lightwave in 2003. (I lived in Austin at the time and met Paul Lara at the BOXX offices where he and (later) Steve... the Canadian? helped me choose components, if that rings a bell. I also experienced the entire Mirage event.) I have another account here but for the life of me I can't figure out how to sign in. I'm pretty sure my objects and scenes are very basic, mostly because that's all I could do at the time. I fire up the BOXX every now and then and hope that the 4 SCSI drives spin up one more time.

Dexter2999
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Are you sure it is dongled to the Toaster Card? We had an older toaster system here but the dongle for LW was actually a parrallel port dongle. Which they had a system in place to trade in for a USB dongle.

ernpchan
10-13-2014, 12:12 PM
If you upgrade now you won't need the dongle anymore as they've gone to a different licensing system now.

jeric_synergy
10-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Time to frame my dongle! #99!!!!

ernpchan
10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Time to frame my dongle! #99!!!!

Get it bronzed.

spherical
10-14-2014, 03:14 AM
If you upgrade now you won't need the dongle anymore as they've gone to a different licensing system now.

Unless you run commercial plugins, of which there are many that most of us would not do without. Dongleless is no substitute.