PDA

View Full Version : Single CPU Thread Modeling

tcoursey
10-06-2014, 12:45 PM
We'll the good news is when I'm slicing and working in Modeler only ONE thread of my 8 (not 16 or 32 like some of you guys) is being used. So I have plenty of processing power to come and rant on this terribly old geometry system we still deal with in LW. I wonder what the future holds for us?

tcoursey
10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Still waiting...and I posted this 5 mins into the slice. reminds me of my first 386 when I added a Math CoProcessor to the system! It was a thing of beauty!

kopperdrake
10-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Whilst I'm waiting for Bullet to figure out something on my single thread, I might as well reply using my spare 7 threads.

The future? 8 instances of LightWave all cutting and blowing things up at the same (slow) time ;)

tcoursey
10-06-2014, 12:55 PM
It's funny and ironic that Lightwave has been 64 bit since day one I think. Cutting edge before it's time and yet has become so out dated so quickly in many areas...they just keep bolting on new things that makes it so hard for newbies (I'm not one of them) to want to come join the community! Sad realy.

Just re-write the base already...oh wait they did (core) just didn't release it...I so remember that press release video unveiling....funny.

Sensei
10-06-2014, 01:10 PM
It's funny and ironic that Lightwave has been 64 bit since day one I think.

Typically recompiling software to 64 bit doesn't need to do anything except setting up project..

Multiply > Slice tool cannot use multi-threading anyway, even if app would be supporting multi-threading. Using multi-threading would slow down this tool.
If it's running 5+ minutes, it probably dead-locked.

bazsa73
10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
64 bit only means that the CPU has a bigger hand and can grab and do things in bigger chunks and there is no need
to segment the memory because everything happens in one huge linear address space (since 32 protected mode) but it doesn't mean automatically
that a 64 bit system is also multithreaded because that's a completely different matter. Writing code for several CPUs where
each CPU tries do operate in the same address space is quite a challenge and expensive task with lots of pitfalls.

Sensei
10-06-2014, 01:52 PM
LWSDK has many multi-threading functions available to use by plugin developers or NewTek developers.
They can be used in Modeler tool no problem, as long as plugin will gather all vertex and polygons data from application using single thread (simply copy'n'paste).

But first each tool has to be written from scratch, completely different way as it has been (if it's ready).

Majority of tools would be slowed down by making them multi-threaded, or wouldn't have sense to be changed (like f.e. Change Surface).

Typical tool is operating only on selected points, edges, polygons.
There is really really few of them, as many as you pick up.
Typical tool doesn't work on entire mesh - just on selected part.

mav3rick
10-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Whilst I'm waiting for Bullet to figure out something on my single thread, I might as well reply using my spare 7 threads.

The future? 8 instances of LightWave all cutting and blowing things up at the same (slow) time ;)

start up AFTER EFFECTS and try multithreading compositing render :) start task manager and you will be surprised how ADOBE handle multithreading