PDA

View Full Version : gif test

shrox
10-05-2014, 10:09 PM
http://r2-store.distractify.netdna-cdn.com/postimage/201410/4/fb8edb962880422117aa3bcbb0c3e4a3.gif

Just testing animated gifs on the forum.

ernpchan
10-05-2014, 10:13 PM
That girl needs to see an eye doctor!

spherical
10-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Just testing animated gifs on the forum.

Wow I hate those, IF they're used for avatars. There are two notable ones that have forced me to disable GIF animation entirely. Seen it. Don't need to see it again. Get over yourself. If they are used to take the place of a short video that illustrates a procedure, fine, but those of us who have GIF animation disabled only get the first frame.

shrox
10-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Wow I hate those, IF they're used for avatars. There are two notable ones that have forced me to disable GIF animation entirely. Seen it. Don't need to see it again. Get over yourself. If they are used to take the place of a short video that illustrates a procedure, fine, but those of us who have GIF animation disabled only get the first frame.

I was just wondering if they would work in a post. My avatar is a twisty head kitty GIF...

prometheus
10-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Though I love cats, the avatar of the twisty head kitty kind of gives me some feeling of...stop doing that:)

I also wonder if we all or most of us would have animated gifs in our avatars, I wonder if that would affect the loading time of the threads? It probably will..but how much of that impact would be annoyingly noticable?

Sensei
10-06-2014, 09:45 AM
I also wonder if we all or most of us would have animated gifs in our avatars, I wonder if that would affect the loading time of the threads? It probably will..but how much of that impact would be annoyingly noticable?

His avatar's anim gif is 30 kb.

Girl anim gif is 488 kb.

prometheus
10-06-2014, 11:08 AM
His avatar's anim gif is 30 kb.

Girl anim gif is 488 kb.

yeah..mine is only 2,87 KB ..so I figure if almost everyone in a thread were to use animated gifs(in their avatar) it will be less faster to load, but the impact might not be that big anyway?
I can be forgiving about it... as long as it is catīs, preferably cute kittys though, headbanging catīs..not so sure.:D

gerry_g
10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Word of note from Mac user running Safari Shrox's gif always works yours Prometheus no longer does and hasn't for a long time, all I see is a red square intact I now see a lot of red squares on forums, I presume the encoding for all these red squares is different to the working gif that Shrox is using

Sensei
10-06-2014, 12:28 PM
I also see red box, but on Windows. It's PNG in web browser image info, not GIF.

prometheus
10-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Note to confused fellow community members, my avatar IS a red box., or square depending on perspective, so my avatar is working,even though my legs are not. and the avatar has been working for all the time..so your assumptions are wrong gerry_g. :)
it should be a prepared gif though to save on memory, but I made it a png of routine, might change it to something interesting, I had some weird experience when I decided to go for the..I see red stuff.

whatīs wrong with a clean avatar image in red? :D

gerry_g
10-06-2014, 01:52 PM
nothing at all each to their own, but that's the point you are not alone many others seem to be using the same red box, you are no longer unique

ncr100
10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Gifs can be beautiful - it depends on your taste of course - welcome to the internet

http://giant.gfycat.com/ShowyFatAustrianpinscher.gif

(http://www.reddit.com/r/brokengifs)

prometheus
10-06-2014, 02:00 PM
nothing at all each to their own, but that's the point you are not alone many others seem to be using the same red box, you are no longer unique

darnitdidelidoo, thought I was the first and only one:)
curious how many on these forums have used it in their avatar ..desperatly seeking attention:)

shrox
10-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Gifs can be beautiful - it depends on your taste of course - welcome to the internet

http://giant.gfycat.com/ShowyFatAustrianpinscher.gif

(http://www.reddit.com/r/brokengifs)

Wow, it's like he's trapped in a morph from Samuel Jackson to Wolverine...

Mr_Q
10-06-2014, 02:49 PM
That Sam Jack was freaked my mind.

And my Avatar is a toilet bowl PoV. It somehow maintains its uniqueness.

50one
10-06-2014, 03:12 PM
darnitdidelidoo, thought I was the first and only one:)
curious how many on these forums have used it in their avatar ..desperatly seeking attention:)

Always looking for attention!

Anyway, I thought that this community won't surprise me after lw13 thread etc. and I wasn't wrong.:)

spherical
10-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Probably not so much, although they do contribute to the loading time, browser caching would handle at least the download portion of the delay. Page redraw is another matter. Having a page full of gyrating avatars would just make our eyes bleed.

What has WAY more impact is people inlining huge images that have to load every darn time the page is accessed, as opposed to using the built in attachment functionality that only loads a tiny thumbnail. If you want to see the large image, you can—anytime. If you don't, you don't have to have it thrust in your face.

The second and companion to this, is people not editing included previous message quotes; especially ones that contain large inline images. Don't need to read/see it all again. If I want to consult the full post, it is there; just up the page a bit, for me to access if I want.

shrox
10-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Probably not so much, although they do contribute to the loading time, browser caching would handle at least the download portion of the delay. Page redraw is another matter. Having a page full of gyrating avatars would just make our eyes bleed.

What has WAY more impact is people inlining huge images that have to load every darn time the page is accessed, as opposed to using the built in attachment functionality that only loads a tiny thumbnail. If you want to see the large image, you can—anytime. If you don't, you don't have to have it thrust in your face.

The second and companion to this, is people not editing included previous message quotes; especially ones that contain large inline images. Don't need to read/see it all again. If I want to consult the full post, it is there; just up the page a bit, for me to access if I want.

Are saying I should give my kitty avatar some Prozac, or maybe just a bag of bud?

spherical
10-06-2014, 04:23 PM
The latter, of course. :D

shrox
10-06-2014, 04:46 PM
The latter, of course. :D

Oh kitty....

prometheus
10-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Im gonna change it a little..it might be scary and offensive, almost done, got one image left to bake in to the anim gif, but hereīs a preview..

prometheus
10-06-2014, 06:32 PM

uhm..I am responsible for those error of the ways, often posting huge images directly in the system, I do try to edit quotes with images or videos though ..but sometime I just forget...sloppy perhaps, huge images
in the threads..well, I want it to get noticed better, and throwing it in your face means you canīt avoid it,:D :devil:
a smaller thumb usally with the built in attachment often shows to small images and thus I am afraid of it not getting
noticed and getting the same attention as the bigger image.

shrox
10-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Im gonna change it a little..it might be scary and offensive, almost done, got one image left to bake in to the anim gif, but hereīs a preview..

I am not satisfied, it needs more cowbell.

prometheus
10-06-2014, 06:50 PM
oki doki..here we go, this will not be long lived, hopefully it is taken with an ironical glint..if anyone reacts to strongly or gets offended/provoked due to the resemblence of another symbol, I will remove it very quickly,
as mentioned..I wonīt have this up as my standard avatar .
Itīs just a reaction test to an avatar gif symbol, nothing in it is ment to state a connection to that of what other symbols stands for or might stand for.

prometheus
10-06-2014, 06:59 PM
I like the newer shrox cat avatar , looks cuter and more comfortable.

shrox
10-06-2014, 07:15 PM
oki doki..here we go, this will not be long lived, hopefully it is taken with an ironical glint..if anyone reacts to strongly or gets offended/provoked due to the resemblence of another symbol, I will remove it very quickly,
as mentioned..I wonīt have this up as my standard avatar .
Itīs just a reaction test to an avatar gif symbol, nothing in it is ment to state a connection to that of what other symbols stands for or might stand for.

It needs a rippling flag effect. It makes me think of Lighttroopers.

prometheus
10-06-2014, 07:41 PM
It needs a rippling flag effect. It makes me think of Lighttroopers.

Uhmm..it will need a studio doing that kind of VFX :)
not sure if I am up to it today, besides I think the whole image needs to be shrinked in order to turn it into a good rippling flag effect.

spherical
10-06-2014, 10:35 PM
a smaller thumb usally with the built in attachment often shows to small images and thus I am afraid of it not getting
noticed and getting the same attention as the bigger image.

And there's the rub. It's not about you. It's about the many viewers and what is good for them. Totally different paradigm.

It's like the legalized extortion of Internet Radio channels. They force loud audio commercial into your ears, when you are least prepared for it, and THINK that they're being so clever. What it does, however, is cause many of us to just shut the feed down entirely. Not the result they expected. They lose all communication ability and their money is wasted. However, if they HAD a clue, they would craft their commercials, such that they were not offensive to the many senses and I would listen to them. Stupid assumption to think that in your face/ears is the way to do it.

The long known principle always applies: If you want to capture someone's attention, whisper.

prometheus
10-07-2014, 07:40 AM
And there's the rub. It's not about you. It's about the many viewers and what is good for them. Totally different paradigm.

It's like the legalized extortion of Internet Radio channels. They force loud audio commercial into your ears, when you are least prepared for it, and THINK that they're being so clever. What it does, however, is cause many of us to just shut the feed down entirely. Not the result they expected. They lose all communication ability and their money is wasted. However, if they HAD a clue, they would craft their commercials, such that they were not offensive to the many senses and I would listen to them. Stupid assumption to think that in your face/ears is the way to do it.

The long known principle always applies: If you want to capture someone's attention, whisper.

Welll..I donīt see it that way entirely, if I post large images and want to get attention to it, it isnīt necessarly a sort of egoism posting...every time, That is what it sounds like when you state it like that.
I do post stuff in order for helping out others a lot and showcase what can be done, so of course itīs not about me all the time, if they miss to look in to some images, they might also miss opportunities to learn some things.

always whisper to get attention? no I donīt think so...certain rules donīt obey under other conditions, if none where to post images...there would be no interest at all in the forums...whisper donīt always apply in my opinion anyway.
If the class has bad focus, whisper might do, if you need to wake them up or they have bad hearing...a scream would be more effective. :)

If someone wrestles with a problem or have tip or so, I actually prefer myself to have a larger image directly loaded and presented rather than a too small one I have to click over and wait for the loading...but there must be
a balance and they shouldnīt post too large images in 4k style of course,or post the link to another site taking too long to load.

I do however agree with you that in most cases regarding commercials etc out there in the ether, I prefer the whisper technique...but thatīs really a different matter t, I donīt believe the whisper technique apply everywhere.

One could argue that I am selfishly deciding what is best for the viewer, but that doesnīt mean Iīm in fact would be wrong with my assumptions on getting attention, I am indeed going to myself to reflect on how I want it, in order to get some sense of how others might percieive it, learn your self and you might learn to know others...thatīs also a principle, but not written in stone either as everything else I guess.
now if I get responses and feedback of annoyance ..then I would of course be doing the wrong thing.

shrox
10-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Artist's are "hey look at me!" by nature.

50one
10-07-2014, 01:53 PM
http://i.4cdn.org/s/1412700781959.gif

I like this one, that's how I feel quite often when reading these boards.

spherical
10-07-2014, 02:58 PM
One could argue that I am selfishly deciding what is best for the viewer,

You were asking about slowing down page loads and whether that would be an inconvenience for the viewer.

shrox
10-07-2014, 03:38 PM
You were asking about slowing down page loads and whether that would be an inconvenience for the viewer.

If you have Comcast, it doesn't matter...as their customer you are just inconvenient in general.

prometheus
10-07-2014, 05:33 PM

yes...but I am also making a destinction between avatars and something one would need to showcase, in fact...we all could have the same uniform in the avatar or nothing at all really, but we canīt post the same image over and over in every thread when you need to describe something:D so my question was solely about the avatars ..and not about the showcase of other images, even if those are the big bottleneck perhaps.

maybe is silly to simply discuss it .

we really donīt need avatars, and animated really not, but that isnīt of any big issue or problem I think, especially not in relation too posting pictures in general.
I was more curious if in fact It was adding much more slowness to the page load speed...but no biggy problem to talk about, posting pictures that themself are much slower to load is a different thing ..and something we need
to accept if we want to showcase stuff.

but nuff said I think..no need to make a hen of a feather.