PDA

View Full Version : Real Noob

amirispop
11-27-2003, 01:32 PM
:confused:

I can't render a bookshelf I made because in modeler The shelves look trasparent. I didn't do anything to that property so I don't know why it is transparent. I tried messing with the lights, changing them, etc...Tried changing the color of the surface...didn't work.

Since I am fairly new to 3d modeling and use LW7.5 I thought that I could find some assistance here.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot of modeler is attached.

WizCraker
11-27-2003, 01:41 PM
The polys for the shelfs are facing the wrong direction. You need to select them and press f to flip the normals so when you render it shows up correctly.

amirispop
11-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Should I select the whole bookcase or just the shelves?

thanks

WizCraker
11-27-2003, 02:11 PM
If you select the offending polygons you will notice a yellow line in the viewport windows if it is facing inword towards the object it is fliped the wrong way. Notice attachment below

amirispop
11-27-2003, 02:21 PM
All the lines on the actual shelves are facing inwards...

how do i keep from that happening initially? does it have something to do with the order that I place the points? or the direction that I extrude it?

amirispop
11-27-2003, 03:01 PM
For your input. I saw the lines facing inward when I selected the polygons before I tried to render it the first time but I dind't know the significance. I did read something about it when I was reading the help file but didn't remember. Now that I was able to apply the knowledge, I'm sure I won't forget that again.

Thanks alot. Here is semi finished product.

Now for texturing......:rolleyes:

WizCraker
11-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by amirispop
how do i keep from that happening initially? does it have something to do with the order that I place the points? or the direction that I extrude it?

Yep point order to create the poly will determine the facing. If you do not see it pop up correctly in the openGL viewport, you could do either a undo and reselect the other way or select the poly and flip it.

WizCraker
11-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by amirispop
Thanks alot. Here is semi finished product.

anytime

Don't forget to bevel your hard edges so it does not look so harsh and nothing in life ends exactly at a right angle like on the computer. Just remember putting in the imperfections will give your models be more life like.